Selling A KY Possible B&B

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just received this back from the Washington Co. KY PVA office:
I saw where your house was for sale. We will be sad to see you go, but also understand.

I think your place would be a lovely B&B! Our county does not have any zoning so anyone would be free to do what they wanted with the property. Once they started the business they would then need to get a business license and probably contact the health dept for food inspections, but that would be on the new owners and not you. There is nothing you would need to do at this point to market it as a potential B&B.

Take care,
With it being sold turnkey someone could go into the B&B business basically immediately.
In this area there are not a lot of large B&B homes, but the area gets a lot of tourists as on the Bourbon & Winery tour, Civil War Trail, Abe Lincoln areas, etc. There also are not a lot of hotel/motels in the area either.
Could also suit someone that wanted to live in a beautiful place and occasionally make it available - or simply make the guesthouse available..
Sounds good for you. Lucky you have such lenient laws. There was a chef here recently looking for a property but don't know if she found anything or not.
Springfield KY is a unique small town within easy reach of 3 major cities and 2 major airports plus close to a small private airport. Education is major around here with quite a few small colleges and the county invests heavily in the local schools. It's government is extremely 'user' friendly. And the whole town seems to help each other out. The week of July 9, 2017 is the 'Jets Over KY' and the town tries to help find lodging for all the people that arrive here. They did the same when a recent movie was filmed in Springfield.

I saw where your house was for sale. We will be sad to see you go, but also understand.

I think your place would be a lovely B&B! Our county does not have any zoning so anyone would be free to do what they wanted with the property. Once they started the business they would then need to get a business license and probably contact the health dept for food inspections, but that would be on the new owners and not you. There is nothing you would need to do at this point to market it as a potential B&B.

Take care,
With it being sold turnkey someone could go into the B&B business basically immediately.
In this area there are not a lot of large B&B homes, but the area gets a lot of tourists as on the Bourbon & Winery tour, Civil War Trail, Abe Lincoln areas, etc. There also are not a lot of hotel/motels in the area either.
Could also suit someone that wanted to live in a beautiful place and occasionally make it available - or simply make the guesthouse available..
Sounds good for you. Lucky you have such lenient laws. There was a chef here recently looking for a property but don't know if she found anything or not.
Hi! Thanks for thinking of me.
After looking at a few B&B's (and they're sad financials), I've decided to invest in real estate instead. This will create a passive stream of income for me on top of working as a chef (or maybe I have a future in real estate). I may revisit the idea on the future, possibly when I retire.
Thank you for all the wisdom you've all given me!
Chef DRG

Take care,
After looking at a few B&B's (and they're sad financials), I've decided to invest in real estate instead. This will create a passive stream of income for me on top of working as a chef (or maybe I have a future in real estate). I may revisit the idea on the future, possibly when I retire.
Chef DRG
see this is what baffles me if I was selling I wouldn't be sellling on "oh you could do better than this blah blah" I would be working like a fiend to show this is doable with cold hard proof! place up for sale near me is burning it - taking half what I would be taking with the same property and frankly neighbours of my friends were thinking of buying it and he was curt and borderline rude to the CASH buyer! and I know they are desperate to get out! mystifies me!

Take care,
Chef DRG
see this is what baffles me if I was selling I wouldn't be sellling on "oh you could do better than this blah blah" I would be working like a fiend to show this is doable with cold hard proof! place up for sale near me is burning it - taking half what I would be taking with the same property and frankly neighbours of my friends were thinking of buying it and he was curt and borderline rude to the CASH buyer! and I know they are desperate to get out! mystifies me!
Exactly right. I never expected to get rich as an innkeeper/owner but I'm not going to invest $2m for a $30k/yr paycheck while working around the clock with no life. Maybe I would feel differently if I had a partner who shared the workload and/or had an outside career, but this just isn't the right thing for me at the moment.
ChefDRG

Back