Selling nuts to squirrels

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This article is lengthy - esp in electronic form, but it is very good. As we have always said here and to which other groups find appauling "we need to be who we are" we can't pretend to be 20 years old when we aren't and then have repercussions from angry guests. If we are granny's house we need to market as "granny's house" those who love granny's house will love it, those who don't won't go there and feel tricked.
This in a nutshell if the PROBLEM with BWTS. INHERENTLY THE PROBLEM> If 75% of the inns don't like the WTH (formerly F) campaign, how will those guests feel staying at those inns? Esp those who were extremely offended by it? It is supposed to represent THEM/THEIR INN. So there is a diametrically opposed issue there that can't be glossed over with an H.
If you are not a spa, don't pretend to be a spa. I think it is a slippery slope that too many innkeepers fall into while trying to bait the hook and get heads in beds! And obv as the article stated, worldview and the guest's impression will be wildly different from one guest to the next.
Case in point:
Guests said they thought our town was too big, they thought we were in the boondocks. Next guest thinks we are in the boondocks and there is nothing to do. Next guest finds a ton of things to do and need to stay longer to do it all. Who is right? Any of them? ALL OF THEM. It is their perception, it it viewing this area through their eyes. We can sell what we can, but we need to be upfront and truthful, we need to sell our nuts to squirrels not dolphins. :) Your squirrels may be eastern grey and mine may be flying squirrels.
wink_smile.gif
The worldview I see BWTS attempting to change is the one wherein ALL B&B's cater to 'old people' only. That it's no place for a hip young couple. (Not necessarily changing the worldview of the B&B owner, altho that has been tossed into the mix with comments about old people getting out of the way and if you don't like it you're stuck in grannyland.)
That's not to say that now all B&B's should remake themselves to fit some 'other' mold (like everyone trying to be Starbucks when some people - quite a few, actually- cannot stand Starbucks). We have to be who we are because trying to be someone else doesn't work.
Of course anyone can work on understanding a new POV and perhaps embrace that. But to say to me that I have to strip all the wallpaper and toss the quilts and start cooking in a totally alien way isn't going to happen. However, as we have gained experience here we have adapted our recipes to a fitter, heathier crowd (worldview). And my worldview is one that does not include tchotchkes everywhere. (I replace those with books. Everywhere.)
The decorating worldview would have me replacing everything with granite. And marble floors. And steam showers with 10 different heads. So, we need to appeal to people who are looking for what we have. But, there is a B&B out there for everyone. THAT'S a marketing POV for BWTS.
Instead of BWTS harping incessantly on hipness (in the marketing and in the pep talks to us) it would really be better to harp on the varied experiences out there. 'We've got it...soup to nuts.' Or whatever the hip young crowd would say to encompass everything.
Our biggest challenge here is somewhat being helped and somewhat being hindered by programs such as the hotel inspector and three in a bed. 3 in a bed helps in some ways as they show that B&Bs can be luxurious and arn't grannys house but they don't always show the owners in a good light. However all of the 3 in a bed show the places as clean and realively luxurious. It makes me cross when I read reviews such as this one. - This is of one of my neighbours
Didn't know what to expect of this guesthouse although it was highly rated. Didn't want to end up staying in someones spare room! But it has 13 rooms/suits in total and it is a lovely huge house just outside of Harrogate centre (10min walk). Owners were super friendly - very helpful with local knowledge. Accommodation was comfortable. Loved the honesty bar!! Breakfast was nice but perhaps a bit oily and I'm not sure if everything was made from scratch. All in all a good place to stay.
They are a big place and on their web site they have an exellent virtual tour of virtually the whole place, tons of online reviews - this complete idiocy is what we are fighting against! they do expensive toiletries, large lounge car park holiday cottages - I would be insulted Stay in someones spare room!!!!
Do they advertise everything made from scratch? If not, I'd be peeved by that comment. I don't raise and slaughter the hogs for the bacon or grow my own wheat for flour or have chickens outside, what are these people expecting?
And why the heck did they book (and where did they find the booking info) if they didn't know it was a 13 room B&B and not someone's spare room?
Daft.
Dave the husband who does the cooking is a ruddy trained chef!!!!!
http://www.alexa-house.co.uk/
this is their web site if you thought you were staying in someone spare room after seeing this then you are retarded! They have a virtual tour of every room! I hope Sandra hasn't seen it cos she would be furious!!!

This article is lengthy - esp in electronic form, but it is very good. As we have always said here and to which other groups find appauling "we need to be who we are" we can't pretend to be 20 years old when we aren't and then have repercussions from angry guests. If we are granny's house we need to market as "granny's house" those who love granny's house will love it, those who don't won't go there and feel tricked.
This in a nutshell if the PROBLEM with BWTS. INHERENTLY THE PROBLEM> If 75% of the inns don't like the WTH (formerly F) campaign, how will those guests feel staying at those inns? Esp those who were extremely offended by it? It is supposed to represent THEM/THEIR INN. So there is a diametrically opposed issue there that can't be glossed over with an H.
If you are not a spa, don't pretend to be a spa. I think it is a slippery slope that too many innkeepers fall into while trying to bait the hook and get heads in beds! And obv as the article stated, worldview and the guest's impression will be wildly different from one guest to the next.
Case in point:
Guests said they thought our town was too big, they thought we were in the boondocks. Next guest thinks we are in the boondocks and there is nothing to do. Next guest finds a ton of things to do and need to stay longer to do it all. Who is right? Any of them? ALL OF THEM. It is their perception, it it viewing this area through their eyes. We can sell what we can, but we need to be upfront and truthful, we need to sell our nuts to squirrels not dolphins. :) Your squirrels may be eastern grey and mine may be flying squirrels.
wink_smile.gif
The worldview I see BWTS attempting to change is the one wherein ALL B&B's cater to 'old people' only. That it's no place for a hip young couple. (Not necessarily changing the worldview of the B&B owner, altho that has been tossed into the mix with comments about old people getting out of the way and if you don't like it you're stuck in grannyland.)
That's not to say that now all B&B's should remake themselves to fit some 'other' mold (like everyone trying to be Starbucks when some people - quite a few, actually- cannot stand Starbucks). We have to be who we are because trying to be someone else doesn't work.
Of course anyone can work on understanding a new POV and perhaps embrace that. But to say to me that I have to strip all the wallpaper and toss the quilts and start cooking in a totally alien way isn't going to happen. However, as we have gained experience here we have adapted our recipes to a fitter, heathier crowd (worldview). And my worldview is one that does not include tchotchkes everywhere. (I replace those with books. Everywhere.)
The decorating worldview would have me replacing everything with granite. And marble floors. And steam showers with 10 different heads. So, we need to appeal to people who are looking for what we have. But, there is a B&B out there for everyone. THAT'S a marketing POV for BWTS.
Instead of BWTS harping incessantly on hipness (in the marketing and in the pep talks to us) it would really be better to harp on the varied experiences out there. 'We've got it...soup to nuts.' Or whatever the hip young crowd would say to encompass everything.
Our biggest challenge here is somewhat being helped and somewhat being hindered by programs such as the hotel inspector and three in a bed. 3 in a bed helps in some ways as they show that B&Bs can be luxurious and arn't grannys house but they don't always show the owners in a good light. However all of the 3 in a bed show the places as clean and realively luxurious. It makes me cross when I read reviews such as this one. - This is of one of my neighbours
Didn't know what to expect of this guesthouse although it was highly rated. Didn't want to end up staying in someones spare room! But it has 13 rooms/suits in total and it is a lovely huge house just outside of Harrogate centre (10min walk). Owners were super friendly - very helpful with local knowledge. Accommodation was comfortable. Loved the honesty bar!! Breakfast was nice but perhaps a bit oily and I'm not sure if everything was made from scratch. All in all a good place to stay.
They are a big place and on their web site they have an exellent virtual tour of virtually the whole place, tons of online reviews - this complete idiocy is what we are fighting against! they do expensive toiletries, large lounge car park holiday cottages - I would be insulted Stay in someones spare room!!!!
Do they advertise everything made from scratch? If not, I'd be peeved by that comment. I don't raise and slaughter the hogs for the bacon or grow my own wheat for flour or have chickens outside, what are these people expecting?
And why the heck did they book (and where did they find the booking info) if they didn't know it was a 13 room B&B and not someone's spare room?
Daft.
http://www.scotiahouse.co.uk/
this is another good example of what the standard is like around here. Someone's spare room it gets on my wick as in Harrogate the standards of professionalism are super high! You get a better breakfast than any hotel!

Eric said: "Notice... it's not where you decide to stay, it's with whom you decide to stay. It's more personal, because it's a personal experience."
Eric I don't get this as there is not much of anything personal on your website, so unless they walk in or are a repeat guest how would they decide this? If there are photos of the hosts on your website I have not been able to find them. I don't see a ton of personal stuff there, no blog with personal comments and stories, very few photos. I am not criticizing just asking. Maybe I missed it?
Another article was talking about selling QUIRKY, and I agree if you are, then market it, if ya ain't then don't. In ref to Alibi Ike's comment - which is common on this forum and worldwide, I frequented B&B from when I was young, and I never even considered them to be OLD PEOPLE lodging, not until I was told that here/media. Maybe I only stayed in younger places, but that was pre internet, so who knows....
Good heavens then maybe it's my website that is attracting the geezers! I would bet the average guest age here is 55+. (I know, I just called myself a geezer.)
Our guests who just left on their way to their daughter's graduation were in their late 60's. With the exception of the actual graduates and siblings, the ave age this past weekend was definitely 50+.
Well, I did design a website that made me happy so I guess that's my target market...me. And my age group. And yet, some of the guests who like us best are our kids' ages.
It could also be HOW you are booking that is attracting that particular age group. There are many combination of things. Most of our reservations are done online, live. That appeals to a different crowd than those who pick up the telephone and call. Heck, the wording that you use can appeal to different groups. I know of B&Bs that only take phone reservations so that they can interview perspective guests to decide if they will rent to them or not.
Interestingly enough... my worst days for online reservations.... Friday and Saturday. And Sunday is usually my best. And 85% of my reservations are made on the first time that someone visits the website.
We are still over 50% of guests calling to reserve. Maybe if I got rid of the phone number they would just reserve online. ;) The majority of them have looked at the website, have selected a room and may actually be looking at the calendar when they call. I will ask if they have selected a room or would they like me to go over what is available.
9 out of 10 say they know what room they want they just don't want to put their info into the computer. And most of them apologize.
A fair number of the repeats call because they know it's faster for me to do it than for them. And they get to chat in the meantime and catch up.
Something I keep meaning to do and forget is to ask the callers who know nothing where they found the phone number.
Put your rates up by $10, offer a $10 a day discount if they book online (so there isn't really a price change) and mention the discount on the telephone to them. Next to your prices online, put an asterix and at the bottom that the rate includes a $10 per day online booking discount.
Your percentage should change. Also, I don't know your website. Do you have a large orange button that says "Check Availability" or something like that?
Yes... I said orange. And yes, I said "Check Availability". The orange seems to make more people buy. The Check Availability is less threatening than a "Reserve Now" button.

Eric said: "Notice... it's not where you decide to stay, it's with whom you decide to stay. It's more personal, because it's a personal experience."
Eric I don't get this as there is not much of anything personal on your website, so unless they walk in or are a repeat guest how would they decide this? If there are photos of the hosts on your website I have not been able to find them. I don't see a ton of personal stuff there, no blog with personal comments and stories, very few photos. I am not criticizing just asking. Maybe I missed it?
Another article was talking about selling QUIRKY, and I agree if you are, then market it, if ya ain't then don't. In ref to Alibi Ike's comment - which is common on this forum and worldwide, I frequented B&B from when I was young, and I never even considered them to be OLD PEOPLE lodging, not until I was told that here/media. Maybe I only stayed in younger places, but that was pre internet, so who knows....
There is a section where we talk about yourselves, but no, no personal pictures and no blog. To be honest, I don't think person photos are appropriate, maybe that's just me. And maybe I'm self conscious after the TV show with so many people who don't know me at all making criticisms.
My intent was that B&Bs aren't anonymous as a hotel is. The host of a B&B is someone that lives in the area, knows the area and can help. Versus a hotel employee who might not live in the neighbourhood, or frankly really care about the guest.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
There is a section where we talk about yourselves, but no, no personal pictures and no blog. To be honest, I don't think person photos are appropriate, maybe that's just me. And maybe I'm self conscious after the TV show with so many people who don't know me at all making criticisms.
My intent was that B&Bs aren't anonymous as a hotel is. The host of a B&B is someone that lives in the area, knows the area and can help. Versus a hotel employee who might not live in the neighbourhood, or frankly really care about the guest.
What about common rooms and photos of the inn? Showing your personality in style at the inn? I know there is a link to a tv show, I am not going to watch a show to see the innkeepers. Just asking, I know you are in location location and higher occupancy that we have here.
Well, we didn't put up the pictures of the common areas, and specifically the hallway because we want it to be a surprise for people. This was a very rich neighbourhood and our house is one of the only ones that was well preserved inside. The crown moulding is beautiful. But it makes it even more intriguing. We have some people who book because they want to see the inside.
They don't have our episode online, I don't think.
But my point is that by personal service, I didn't mean ME specifically, but that we are personal, unlike the hotel experience. It wasn't about ME specifically.

Good heavens then maybe it's my website that is attracting the geezers! I would bet the average guest age here is 55+. (I know, I just called myself a geezer.)
Our guests who just left on their way to their daughter's graduation were in their late 60's. With the exception of the actual graduates and siblings, the ave age this past weekend was definitely 50+.
Well, I did design a website that made me happy so I guess that's my target market...me. And my age group. And yet, some of the guests who like us best are our kids' ages.
It could also be HOW you are booking that is attracting that particular age group. There are many combination of things. Most of our reservations are done online, live. That appeals to a different crowd than those who pick up the telephone and call. Heck, the wording that you use can appeal to different groups. I know of B&Bs that only take phone reservations so that they can interview perspective guests to decide if they will rent to them or not.
Interestingly enough... my worst days for online reservations.... Friday and Saturday. And Sunday is usually my best. And 85% of my reservations are made on the first time that someone visits the website.
We are still over 50% of guests calling to reserve. Maybe if I got rid of the phone number they would just reserve online. ;) The majority of them have looked at the website, have selected a room and may actually be looking at the calendar when they call. I will ask if they have selected a room or would they like me to go over what is available.
9 out of 10 say they know what room they want they just don't want to put their info into the computer. And most of them apologize.
A fair number of the repeats call because they know it's faster for me to do it than for them. And they get to chat in the meantime and catch up.
Something I keep meaning to do and forget is to ask the callers who know nothing where they found the phone number.
Put your rates up by $10, offer a $10 a day discount if they book online (so there isn't really a price change) and mention the discount on the telephone to them. Next to your prices online, put an asterix and at the bottom that the rate includes a $10 per day online booking discount.
Your percentage should change. Also, I don't know your website. Do you have a large orange button that says "Check Availability" or something like that?
Yes... I said orange. And yes, I said "Check Availability". The orange seems to make more people buy. The Check Availability is less threatening than a "Reserve Now" button.
The only thing the website doesn't do is reach out and grab the guest by the throat! I use red because it coordinates with the other colors on the site. There is a link to check availability next to the picture of each room, at the top of each page in the header and in both tool bars at the top and bottom of every page. All using a slightly different terminology in case one is off putting to someone and grabs someone else.
I don't care that people call. It's fine with me. I get a little sense of them and help them make plans for their stay. Not everyone who calls is looking for a discount. And looking for a discount doesn't stop someone from booking online and making a note asking for a discount.
I did the book online discount a few years ago just to test the theory. It did bump up the online bookings. But I was giving away $10. Being as I don't get paid, my time is free, so giving away the $10 seemed silly just to get the guest to do the work. Again, don't think it's wise to raise prices by $10 just to give it back when many don't see anything but the price.

The only thing the website doesn't do is reach out and grab the guest by the throat! I use red because it coordinates with the other colors on the site. There is a link to check availability next to the picture of each room, at the top of each page in the header and in both tool bars at the top and bottom of every page. All using a slightly different terminology in case one is off putting to someone and grabs someone else.
I don't care that people call. It's fine with me. I get a little sense of them and help them make plans for their stay. Not everyone who calls is looking for a discount. And looking for a discount doesn't stop someone from booking online and making a note asking for a discount.
I did the book online discount a few years ago just to test the theory. It did bump up the online bookings. But I was giving away $10. Being as I don't get paid, my time is free, so giving away the $10 seemed silly just to get the guest to do the work. Again, don't think it's wise to raise prices by $10 just to give it back when many don't see anything but the price.
Color is very important. Bright red in small doses gets attention, but in larger doses it means danger. But it depends on the shade of red, they all have different meanings. Orange is particular to buttons for buying, it does so well on split testing that you might notice that it's often the colour of choice.
I used to spend so much time on the telephone taking down information. Once I added the $10 off per day for booking online, the number of telephone reservations went down to very low levels. Our prices on our website are listed with the discount stating that this price requires a minimum stay of 2 nights and online booking. That's our normal price, not really a discount. It's essentially a charge for booking on the telephone.
The calls that I get asking for a discount are generally laughable requests. It's usually some guy who has read on a website that you should call a hotel directly, ask for the manager and then ask for the best price from the manager. I tell them that the rooms are booked and to have a good day. I'm not the H or W people. I don't have empty rooms for a weekend in the summer.

Alibi Ike said:
Being as I don't get paid, my time is free, so giving away the $10 seemed silly just to get the guest to do the work.
NO, it most certainly is NOT free! Your time is valuable. Precious. YOURS.

Alibi Ike said:
Being as I don't get paid, my time is free, so giving away the $10 seemed silly just to get the guest to do the work.
Penelope said:
Alibi Ike said:
I'm technically 'at work' and therefore 'my' time belongs to my boss (who happens to be me). So, while at work, I do my job. Part of that is answering the phone. Unless we're slammed cleaning every room, I've got time to answer the phone. And givne I have time to hang out on the forum, I'm not really all that busy 'at work' anyway.

Alibi Ike said:
Penelope said:
Alibi Ike said:
I'm technically 'at work' and therefore 'my' time belongs to my boss (who happens to be me). So, while at work, I do my job. Part of that is answering the phone. Unless we're slammed cleaning every room, I've got time to answer the phone. And givne I have time to hang out on the forum, I'm not really all that busy 'at work' anyway.
In some ways I would rather they rang to make sure they get the right room for them for example I had a late cancellation on the friday morning for saturday and they paid in full. Put it back on avaliability booking came through "special requests not higher than 1st floor as has mobiliy problems." well they were ruddy lucky as the room left was first floor but if it hadn't have been it was within my cancellation policy period and they would have been charged. People with special requirements like this and book last minute drive me spare! We have two ground floor rooms that would have been perfect but people were already in them. Grrrr.

Alibi Ike said:
I don't care that people call. It's fine with me.
STOP RIGHT THERE! That is your underlying feeling, and not to get all woo woo metaphysical on ya, but if that's your true feeling then that's what you're drawing to you! So I wouldn't waste any more time trying to figure out how to get people to book online, because you clearly don't care if they do it or not. If your will changes at some point, then figure out how to drive online bookings, but for right now it seems just let it go because you're happy with how your system is working.
My whole mission was to get people to book online. I bumped my rates $10, discounted online bookings $10/night, and every phone call had to discipline myself to steer them to the website. I did this for a variety of reasons, but mostly because our phone calls were taking up too much of my time (another big one was wanting the policies box checked off). It has worked for us, we get very few phone call bookings, but that's the way I wanted it and that's where I directed all my energies to making it happen.

Alibi Ike said:
STOP RIGHT THERE! That is your underlying feeling, and not to get all woo woo metaphysical on ya, but if that's your true feeling then that's what you're drawing to you! So I wouldn't waste any more time trying to figure out how to get people to book online, because you clearly don't care if they do it or not. If your will changes at some point, then figure out how to drive online bookings, but for right now it seems just let it go because you're happy with how your system is working.
My whole mission was to get people to book online. I bumped my rates $10, discounted online bookings $10/night, and every phone call had to discipline myself to steer them to the website. I did this for a variety of reasons, but mostly because our phone calls were taking up too much of my time (another big one was wanting the policies box checked off). It has worked for us, we get very few phone call bookings, but that's the way I wanted it and that's where I directed all my energies to making it happen.
Don Draper said:
Alibi Ike said:
In a slow monkish sing song JB says "Ahhhhhhhhh-meeeeeeeeeeeeen." I was like a one legged man in an
potty-mouth.gif
kickin' contest. Frazzled me out. Why waste your whole day on the phone, book 'em danno, book 'em online. They type the info in Correctly, they Agree to your policies, they get their confirmation and can continue planning their trip.

Alibi Ike said:
The only reason I wonder about the online booking thing is that so many people never talk to their guests before they arrive so I wonder why that is. If it's ONLY because of the $10 off, then it's not something I'm going to bother with. If it is something else, then I want to know so I can change what needs changing.
I'm going to start asking more questions when guests call.

Alibi Ike said:
Don Draper said:
Alibi Ike said:
In a slow monkish sing song JB says "Ahhhhhhhhh-meeeeeeeeeeeeen." I was like a one legged man in an
potty-mouth.gif
kickin' contest. Frazzled me out. Why waste your whole day on the phone, book 'em danno, book 'em online. They type the info in Correctly, they Agree to your policies, they get their confirmation and can continue planning their trip.
It's those people who want to talk who call. The planners make their rez online. We've actually, this year, flipped- from most reservations by phone or email to most (almost 75%) online. So I'm really not talking to that many guests before arrival any longer. (I had to go check that number. It surprised me. I thought I was still talking a lot!)

Alibi Ike said:
The only reason I wonder about the online booking thing is that so many people never talk to their guests before they arrive so I wonder why that is. If it's ONLY because of the $10 off, then it's not something I'm going to bother with. If it is something else, then I want to know so I can change what needs changing.
It is probably our location, but I just don't have any need to talk to anyone before they get here. I know what they are here for, and my website gives them everything they could possibly need to know about the area before they get here. What kind of stuff are you asking?

Alibi Ike said:
It is probably our location, but I just don't have any need to talk to anyone before they get here. I know what they are here for, and my website gives them everything they could possibly need to know about the area before they get here. What kind of stuff are you asking?
I'll be asking why they are calling instead of booking online (to get a sense of what the holdback is). If they have no idea about anything I'll ask where they found the phone number.
Grace is not my middle name so I hope I don't come off sounding like they're bothering me! 'Why didn't you book online? Why are you pestering me?' ;)

Alibi Ike said:
Right now I just chat them up to see if they need help with anything else and to pass along biz to friends up north if that's where they're headed.
See, we're not in a place like you are where there is a huge draw for a particular purpose and everyone knows what's there. Here, a good % know what they're coming for and others are clueless. 'Oh, you have parks? Oh, you have shopping? Oh, I can walk to everything?'
Weekenders are here for a particular reason. Vacationers are usually passing thru. THEY don't know what's here and are often quite surprised and wish they had planned to stay longer here rather than moving on after one night. Essentially, I think they just look for something 'halfway' or whatever. So, if I can talk to them and they haven't booked the rest of the stay already I can sometimes get another night. Or, I get them on the way back.
It's the difference in location. And I think that drives each location's marketing, too. I need to be able to market a 'package' of things to do here to get the longer stays. Some places are just a 'natural' for guests to sort themselves out because it's obvious what to do when they get there, or that's the reason they're going in the first place. The beach is an excellent example.

Alibi Ike said:
Don Draper said:
ditto... ditto...
I have better use for my time. I answer a few questions on the telephone and they go about spelling their names on the website. With all the foreign names and odd spellings, I'm just so glad to not have to spend my time asking them to spell it again.

Alibi Ike said:
I'll be asking why they are calling instead of booking online (to get a sense of what the holdback is). If they have no idea about anything I'll ask where they found the phone number.
Grace is not my middle name so I hope I don't come off sounding like they're bothering me! 'Why didn't you book online? Why are you pestering me?' ;)
I have been trying to be really in tune to what guests ask when they call instead of booking on line. Lots of times they really are providing this info right up front with what they ask.
Most of my bookings are online now (especially since I added the $10 off
wink_smile.gif
for doing so) but when they call here are the typical reasons:
  1. They are not comfortable placing personal info on the web
  2. Not on my site or did not find me through the internet
  3. They are on my site and are not finding answers - some not internet savvy, others provide me with insite of things I need to improve on my site.

Alibi Ike said:
Right now I just chat them up to see if they need help with anything else and to pass along biz to friends up north if that's where they're headed.
See, we're not in a place like you are where there is a huge draw for a particular purpose and everyone knows what's there. Here, a good % know what they're coming for and others are clueless. 'Oh, you have parks? Oh, you have shopping? Oh, I can walk to everything?'
Weekenders are here for a particular reason. Vacationers are usually passing thru. THEY don't know what's here and are often quite surprised and wish they had planned to stay longer here rather than moving on after one night. Essentially, I think they just look for something 'halfway' or whatever. So, if I can talk to them and they haven't booked the rest of the stay already I can sometimes get another night. Or, I get them on the way back.
It's the difference in location. And I think that drives each location's marketing, too. I need to be able to market a 'package' of things to do here to get the longer stays. Some places are just a 'natural' for guests to sort themselves out because it's obvious what to do when they get there, or that's the reason they're going in the first place. The beach is an excellent example.
Then it makes sense. And good business sense too, if you can persuade them to add nights.

Back