Service Animal booking - HELP

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copperhead

Reaction score
This is a Vet with PTSD. And they have a Gift Certificate purchased by one of our regulars.
I am leary that this is a real service animal as the wife who booked said 'he has papers and a vest' that he wears when ever he is away from home.
Do any of you have written polices that you provide in their confirmations regarding animal behavior requirements, etc.?

Don't be scared. A real service animal will be hardly noticeable. Hotels/b&bs are not permitted to charge guests for cleaning the hair or dander shed by a service animal. However, if a guest's service animal causes damages to a guest room, you are permitted to charge the same fee for damages as charged to other guests.
This might be helpful http://www.ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.html
Q27. What does under control mean? Do service animals have to be on a leash? Do they have to be quiet and not bark?
A. The ADA requires that service animals be under the control of the handler at all times. In most instances, the handler will be the individual with a disability or a third party who accompanies the individual with a disability. In the school (K-12) context and in similar settings, the school or similar entity may need to provide some assistance to enable a particular student to handle his or her service animal. The service animal must be harnessed, leashed, or tethered while in public places unless these devices interfere with the service animal's work or the person's disability prevents use of these devices. In that case, the person must use voice, signal, or other effective means to maintain control of the animal. For example, a person who uses a wheelchair may use a long, retractable leash to allow her service animal to pick up or retrieve items. She may not allow the dog to wander away from her and must maintain control of the dog, even if it is retrieving an item at a distance from her. Or, a returning veteran who has PTSD and has great difficulty entering unfamiliar spaces may have a dog that is trained to enter a space, check to see that no threats are there, and come back and signal that it is safe to enter. The dog must be off leash to do its job, but may be leashed at other times. Under control also means that a service animal should not be allowed to bark repeatedly in a lecture hall, theater, library, or other quiet place. However, if a dog barks just once, or barks because someone has provoked it, this would not mean that the dog is out of control.
Q28. What can my staff do when a service animal is being disruptive?
A. If a service animal is out of control and the handler does not take effective action to control it, staff may request that the animal be removed from the premises.
Q29. Are hotel guests allowed to leave their service animals in their hotel room when they leave the hotel?
A. No, the dog must be under the handler's control at all times.

As opposed to a lot of the booking attempts made by people with fake service animals, this one sounds like it could be legit. When in doubt, assume it is until the behavior of the animal (out of control) or owner (wants to leave it in the room while they go skiing) demonstrate otherwise.
We had a restaurant in town that refused service to a valid vet with a PSTD service dog. Needless to say, the PR blowback was not good.

Thanks SS, I knew there were guidelines on the site, what I wondered is if anyone had listed these guidelines (not verbatim) in the confirmation.
I am not questioning this person at all. Just accepting the animal but due to the statements made I do personally question the legitimacy.

If this is a real service dog, it will be your best guest ever! I raised dogs for the blind and they had to be with me and under my control 24/7 from puppy hood up. It will not bark since it has been taught since day one that is "bad language!" and taken very serious. It will go to the bathroom on command. Our command was "get busy" so I would refrain from using that phrase along with "parking", "do it now" and "do your business" as those are other commands for the same thing. (different companies) Do not leave a box of treats for it, but if you want to do something special for the dog, I would suggest giving it a "king kong" toy. All my dogs loved them and its on the list of acceptable toys. Ask for permission before petting or talking to the dog, so you aren't bothering it's work. Most owners will love to tell you all about their dog and what it does. Everyone is proud of their dogs and have a very strong bond between service dog and owner.
Enjoy your guests, as I know you will!

If it's for PTSD, it's a real service animal. Nothing to worry about, unless you have an allergy. Should be better behaved than most people.

They don't have to show you those papers but maybe they've gotten a lot of grief in the past.
They know the rules about how their dog is expected to act.
What I'd do: accept the rez but do include in your confirmation that you have animals (chickens and dogs) that are not used to having any other animals on the property. Explain your dog may bark but that you will keep him away from their service animal.
No charge for their service animal, either.

Thanks SS, I knew there were guidelines on the site, what I wondered is if anyone had listed these guidelines (not verbatim) in the confirmation.
I am not questioning this person at all. Just accepting the animal but due to the statements made I do personally question the legitimacy..
No. Don't tell them what you expect behavior wise or quote any legalese.
Cross that bridge should you come to it. Or, don't borrow trouble.

I am not questioning this person at all. Just accepting the animal but due to the statements made I do personally question the legitimacy..
Thank YOU Mort for answering the question!
That is what I was expecting to hear but wanted another voice!

Copperhead said:
Moi? I usually ramble on and on and miss the point altogether. Giving myself a little gold star. ;-)

Back