Service animals

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like Morticia's advice.
If you do a search for topics on service animals on this forum, you will find several, with the debate raging high and low. From - "It's my home, I should be able to do what I want" - to being threatened with a lawsuit for not taking service animals.
I am not an allergy sufferer and you are in a bind with whose needs come first?
I took service animals (not always a dog). They were all true service animals. There were no accidents, no smells, no problems. Much to my great relief. I did not take pets.

If any of you are going to PAII, I just saw these sessions!
“GET COMPLIANT” – The Great Plains ADA Center has created this first of a 3 part session. Learn what your inn needs to be considered compliant in the eyes of the Americans with Disabilities Act.
“GET SERVICED” – This has got to be one of the hottest topics yet. What qualifies as a service animal? What do innkeepers need to know about their requirements to meet the needs of the aging population and their pets? They will also look at how your guest service standards may need to change to meet these needs.
I believe this is a topic no one here has ever discussed...THIS IS HUGE! I am just now doing a site for a govt agency who requires it. And it is more than just putting the alt text and description on your images...WAY more!!
Don't know if Google will ever punish for not being compliant..but this could really impact websites down the road. Just think how many awful ones are still out there and now even the good ones probably won't meet the guidelines as I am reading them now.
“GET WEB ACCESS” – It’s not here yet, but it will be soon. Do you know what your website will need to do to meet the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act? It’s just around the corner and you will need to be ready for this drastic change to how the world wide web is running.
Here is a link you might like to read.

“GET COMPLIANT” – The Great Plains ADA Center has created this first of a 3 part session. Learn what your inn needs to be considered compliant in the eyes of the Americans with Disabilities Act.
“GET SERVICED” – This has got to be one of the hottest topics yet. What qualifies as a service animal? What do innkeepers need to know about their requirements to meet the needs of the aging population and their pets? They will also look at how your guest service standards may need to change to meet these needs.
I believe this is a topic no one here has ever discussed...THIS IS HUGE! I am just now doing a site for a govt agency who requires it. And it is more than just putting the alt text and description on your images...WAY more!!
Don't know if Google will ever punish for not being compliant..but this could really impact websites down the road. Just think how many awful ones are still out there and now even the good ones probably won't meet the guidelines as I am reading them now.
“GET WEB ACCESS” – It’s not here yet, but it will be soon. Do you know what your website will need to do to meet the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act? It’s just around the corner and you will need to be ready for this drastic change to how the world wide web is running.
Here is a link you might like to read..
Eye-opening! My city just got an e-mail from me with this link as well as the President of the City Clerks Association. Our annual meeting is tomorrow and I WILL bring it up. Thank you.

I know you copied and pasted, but if those folks are leading a session on service animals they need to remove references to 'pets'.
Good info on websites. I'm going to put on my list to make sure all the photos have alt text.

see this is where the UK and USA differ entirely - one law making body at parliament level and that's it - none of these local or county laws or systems - everything is one and one only and for everyone - enforcement is another issue mind.
Service animals - again very clear - classed as equipment and you can't refuse them unless you have a serious health complaint yourself which prohibits it ie die of Asthma trumps blind. However they don't have to declare them to can just turn up with them which could be tricky.

I would not be surprised to see the ADA regulations abandoned by the current administration. Just sayin'

I know you copied and pasted, but if those folks are leading a session on service animals they need to remove references to 'pets'.
Good info on websites. I'm going to put on my list to make sure all the photos have alt text.
Alt text And descriptions which say something like: a picture of guests eating breakfast at the xxx inn"
here is another interesting link: https://www.wuhcag.com/wcag-checklist/

Silverspoon, for the love of Mike, can't we have THIS ONE place where we can get relief from the politics!

Silverspoon, for the love of Mike, can't we have THIS ONE place where we can get relief from the politics!.
Copper, sorry if my comment seemed political to you. But when talking about regulations I thought it was appropriate to mention that many regulations affecting small businesses like ours may be on the chopping block. That includes ADA. I am not passing judgement....the topic is about government and the laws governing our business.

Silverspoon, for the love of Mike, can't we have THIS ONE place where we can get relief from the politics!.
Copper, sorry if my comment seemed political to you. But when talking about regulations I thought it was appropriate to mention that many regulations affecting small businesses like ours may be on the chopping block. That includes ADA. I am not passing judgement....the topic is about government and the laws governing our business.
The way it was stated WAS political!

There were other ways you could have addressed this, or better yet, leave it out of conversation unless it becomes a topic of concern.

The ADA law affects more than small business, it affects all businesses, housing and city government.

I think a little lightening up is in order. I saw the comment as an observation we all have been making given the climate change in Washington (pun intended). I didn't read it as an opening political trolling.

The way it was stated WAS political!

There were other ways you could have addressed this, or better yet, leave it out of conversation unless it becomes a topic of concern.

The ADA law affects more than small business, it affects all businesses, housing and city government.
I am not going to argue with you here over what you perceive my intentions are in mentioning possible changes in business regulations. I am truly sorry I upset you.

Back