Serving cream/milk/dairy

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have bowls of minimoos and mini french vanilla creamers sitting near coffee and on each table. I also have small (pint size) milks - one or two whole and one or two reduced fat - in the small fridge in the common area. So few people actually seem to drink milk any more, and I've found quite a number of our guests eat their cereal with yogurt (instead of milk) (we also have 6oz yogurts in the small fridge). When we first opened, I was putting a small insulated pitcher of milk on each table, but poured out about 90% of it!! Also, if I put out reduced fat they wanted whole or vice versa!.
I would eat my cereal with yoghurt because the milk needs to be cold, most places it is never cold enough. I would have to toss it, I couldn't get it down if it was tepid.
Joey Bloggs said:
I would eat my cereal with yoghurt because the milk needs to be cold, most places it is never cold enough. I would have to toss it, I couldn't get it down if it was tepid.
I can tell you from experience that if a guest jams a bottle of wine in the fridge, the door does not close and the milk freezes solid. Cold enough for ya?
wink_smile.gif

What I don't get are the guests who take the bottle of cream out of the bowl of ice, pour some cream and then put the bottle very carefully on the counter and walk off. Maybe they want it warm later on when they come back? Oh, and they guy who every single time he poured himself some juice moved the pitcher clear away from all the other lined up pitchers and put it on the tray that held the juice glasses, what was up with that? He had to MOVE the glasses to put the pitcher down. He did not have to move the glasses when he picked the pitcher up, was he not getting that something wasn't right?
These are BIG pitchers, too. Lined up. RED. On a mat so they don't drip all over.
Always an adventure.
Madeleine said:
Joey Bloggs said:
I can tell you from experience that if a guest jams a bottle of wine in the fridge, the door does not close and the milk freezes solid. Cold enough for ya?
wink_smile.gif

What I don't get are the guests who take the bottle of cream out of the bowl of ice, pour some cream and then put the bottle very carefully on the counter and walk off. Maybe they want it warm later on when they come back? Oh, and they guy who every single time he poured himself some juice moved the pitcher clear away from all the other lined up pitchers and put it on the tray that held the juice glasses, what was up with that? He had to MOVE the glasses to put the pitcher down. He did not have to move the glasses when he picked the pitcher up, was he not getting that something wasn't right?
These are BIG pitchers, too. Lined up. RED. On a mat so they don't drip all over.
Always an adventure.
Please don't even go there.
Innkeeper OCD is what it is called. If I have a little bowl for tea bags AND a cup w saucer they lay the thing wet on the table cloth. WHO DOES THIS? Guests.
No matter what, they will do and put things where they logically DO NOT GO< EVER.
I have SYRUP POURER on a small plate or bowl and they place it right back onto the tablecloth every times, drip drip down the syrup goes from their pouring it. Yes, I can pour it without it dripping, they don't.
They don't put the creamer back because they don't do it, not at home, not here, they leave the milk out of the fridge, the leave the cap off the toothpaste, they leave the toilet seat up. Ever go into their rooms to freshen? A mess. The hair dryer is still plugged in hanging into the sink, towels on the beds...
Ha, ha, the syrup. I don't know how long it took me to put the little plate under the syrup pitcher, probably when I started using tablecloths. And the syrup will be right next to the little saucer, but not on it. The bottle of Coke will be right next to the coaster but not on it. (Last week I picked up a coaster and peeled the finish right off the nightstand, soda all over the underside of it had eaten the finish right off. Sigh.)
I will say the tea bags are not a problem here. The guests either toss them in the trash, put them on their fruit plate or stick them on top of a pile of empty sugar packets. If I see them with tea, I bring over a little tea bag tray (former ashtray, reinvented) for the table.
What does drive me batty is how they will pull it out of the cup and wave it all over to drop it into the trash. Yeah, nothing better to do than clean that up all day long. (Which reminds me of a story a couple told me about being in the food court at the mall when a guy at another table picked up his tray and proceeded to dump it on the floor in front of the woman who was going around wiping down the tables. When she said, 'That belongs in the trash,' he sneered at her and said, 'It's your job ain't it?' The person telling the story said it was all he could do to not belt the guy in the mouth. Point being, we could have it worse than a few tea stains on the floor or syrup drips on the tablecloths. There are mean, spiteful people out there. Most of whom we never have to meet.)
Syrup drips are annoying when I have multiple seatings. I have to mop them up before the next guests sit down which doesn't always happen. Then they put their stuff right in it. Cellphones, newspapers, books, elbows, whatever. Please, let me clear the table before you sit. Please.
You know, someone cleans up behind those people at home because there aren't 5-10 cartons of sour milk sitting on the counter, we can only hope. So, they're used to someone else cleaning up behind them. Wonder what that life is like?
wink_smile.gif

7782813_155_155.jpg
Incidentally, Trudeau makes a syrup container that fits a full 540 ml can of syrup. So you don't have to keep part of the can in the fridge after you open it. (It's the standard size can used for maple syrup. And yes... a can, anything in a bottle around here is intended for tourists.
Canette-Sirop-d%C3%A9rable-500x666.jpg

I used small individual creamers for coffee/tea on a small dish for drips. Small enough to stay cold and since we did a plated service we just replenished as needed during breakfast. I started out putting the creamer in an ice bath, but found it wasn't necessary as the cream went quickly. Mini moos (regular and several flavored types) were in the guest fridges and in the coffee service areas for 24/7 coffee/tea service.
If I was serving cereal, I'd use a high quality double walled stainless steel carafe for the milk and would offer 2% and some type of lactose free stuff.
For serving warm syrup, I used these. I saw them being used in a super popular breakfast place in Atlanta. They worked fantastically well. I could remove the top to heat in the microwave, the smaller size of the top prevented a lot of drips and kept people from over dumping syrup by accident. I always put them on the table on a little dish. I think that I bought mine at Pier 1.
I never really thought about milk/creamer usage. It was just part of the cost of food for the inn. For every person that used a ton of cream, there were a bunch of folks that took their coffee black.
regular_smile.gif

Back