Setting the tone w/friends at the beginning

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GL, good new innkeeper question. I asked the same when I started and got the usual diverse (polite term) responses here. What I decided, and what has worked out is ...
Family visits rarely, but generally stays in non-inn spaces, to leave open room sales. A house party of friends or family that we all invite is a strain on us, but fun. They recognize that and put money in for expenses, food, housekeeping.
Old friends who want to come by on a trip for a visit usually pay $40 for a night or two, covers direct expense. They are always glad to do it as it solves a problem of not wanting to be freeloaders. These are (discounted) sales and we pay the room tax.
Business acquaintances, neighbors, etc. I thought I might offer 20% off, but in truth, these folk are more demanding that regular guests, so now it is 10% off, the same as a block booking (with a deposit).
Then there are the freeloaders. Avoid them. There are "media" types - anyone with a blog is media nowadays - looking for comp rooms. Sometimes you will get a mention, rarely a customer. People want you to donate a room night for a charity auction. If you like the charity, fine, but no potential customers will see ever it.
Anyone who said "I am your friend, give me a free night and I will tell my friends" should be asked "If you are my friend, why wouldn't you want to tell all your friends anyway?"
You will also get callers you don't know complaining about paying full price. Steel your nerves. There are people who can't stand to pay full price for a valuable experience; let them go somewhere else.
Consider the logic: We had a customer call for a room when everything in town was booked. We had a cancellation: room is $165/night for two. She said her Hilton VIP card would get her a room for $100, but the Hilton was full, so would we match that price? (We know the rack rate at the Hilton for that weekend was $289, and no specials accepted). No, Our rate is $165, a good deal for a 420 s.f. king with fireplace. Too much. Later she calls back and now she is mad, "do you know I have spent over an hour on the internet and phone and I can't find a place cheaper than you!" She booked at the full rate; she came for two nights and grudgingly enjoyed the wine, appetizers, the full breakfast. We had only been open a few months then. Now, I am more inclined to tell guests who complain about the price that they should keep looking. Grumpy, cheap people are a drain on the spirit.
It is a mindset: hospitality is a business. B&B is a particularly personal busines, but it is still a business. You set fair rates, charge them fairly. You are not gouging people, you are offering them a choice thay can accept or decline. For them to insist that your B&B experience is not worth your rates is insulting you. You will get plenty of guests who understand this and will be your good customers..
Tom said:
Grumpy, cheap people are a drain on the spirit.
Amen brother!

It's been my experience with people you know.......some is just talk....many times will never happen.
Others do have true intentions to get some thing for free. Some will follow through on their end....some (most) don't...many never intended to.
I like the analogy of the clothing store
You can discount.....nothing is free
Just remember one thing.......this is your business...you are responsible for paying the bills..........not the free guest.
When I was working for family......they all paid, and not much of a discount.

GL, good new innkeeper question. I asked the same when I started and got the usual diverse (polite term) responses here. What I decided, and what has worked out is ...
Family visits rarely, but generally stays in non-inn spaces, to leave open room sales. A house party of friends or family that we all invite is a strain on us, but fun. They recognize that and put money in for expenses, food, housekeeping.
Old friends who want to come by on a trip for a visit usually pay $40 for a night or two, covers direct expense. They are always glad to do it as it solves a problem of not wanting to be freeloaders. These are (discounted) sales and we pay the room tax.
Business acquaintances, neighbors, etc. I thought I might offer 20% off, but in truth, these folk are more demanding that regular guests, so now it is 10% off, the same as a block booking (with a deposit).
Then there are the freeloaders. Avoid them. There are "media" types - anyone with a blog is media nowadays - looking for comp rooms. Sometimes you will get a mention, rarely a customer. People want you to donate a room night for a charity auction. If you like the charity, fine, but no potential customers will see ever it.
Anyone who said "I am your friend, give me a free night and I will tell my friends" should be asked "If you are my friend, why wouldn't you want to tell all your friends anyway?"
You will also get callers you don't know complaining about paying full price. Steel your nerves. There are people who can't stand to pay full price for a valuable experience; let them go somewhere else.
Consider the logic: We had a customer call for a room when everything in town was booked. We had a cancellation: room is $165/night for two. She said her Hilton VIP card would get her a room for $100, but the Hilton was full, so would we match that price? (We know the rack rate at the Hilton for that weekend was $289, and no specials accepted). No, Our rate is $165, a good deal for a 420 s.f. king with fireplace. Too much. Later she calls back and now she is mad, "do you know I have spent over an hour on the internet and phone and I can't find a place cheaper than you!" She booked at the full rate; she came for two nights and grudgingly enjoyed the wine, appetizers, the full breakfast. We had only been open a few months then. Now, I am more inclined to tell guests who complain about the price that they should keep looking. Grumpy, cheap people are a drain on the spirit.
It is a mindset: hospitality is a business. B&B is a particularly personal busines, but it is still a business. You set fair rates, charge them fairly. You are not gouging people, you are offering them a choice thay can accept or decline. For them to insist that your B&B experience is not worth your rates is insulting you. You will get plenty of guests who understand this and will be your good customers..
Tom said:
It is a mindset: hospitality is a business. B&B is a particularly personal busines, but it is still a business. You set fair rates, charge them fairly. You are not gouging people, you are offering them a choice thay can accept or decline. For them to insist that your B&B experience is not worth your rates is insulting you. You will get plenty of guests who understand this and will be your good customers.

EXACTLY! You couldn't be more right. I am giving a gift Voucher to my local theatre (i might add they havnt asked) as they have just has their funding cut by 85% so I am starting a campagne to see if we get enough outrage they will get it back. I go maybe twice a year but we have various actors, playwrites and customers who are attending from out of town that probably makes me $1000. This is not huge money but worth an email or a letter.

EXACTLY! You couldn't be more right. I am giving a gift Voucher to my local theatre (i might add they havnt asked) as they have just has their funding cut by 85% so I am starting a campagne to see if we get enough outrage they will get it back. I go maybe twice a year but we have various actors, playwrites and customers who are attending from out of town that probably makes me $1000. This is not huge money but worth an email or a letter..
We are 'local' people, so I've decided I will support my alma mater and my kids HS booster club, plus the University they are attending now.
University here has an awesome theater dept and does several plays a year (in fact, 3 of my rent houses have theater majors living in them.) I planned to offer a package to the student's parents (anyone, for that matter.) Those parents will drive from all over the country to see their little darlings perform.

Tom said:
Agree with everything you said, Tom. But just want to hijack the thread a minute to respond to this line about people who can't bring themselves to pay full price.
I have a repeating couple....they've been here 3 times so far. The first was to 'check us out' because on their next visit,IF we were nice enough, they'd be coming back and bringing their pregnant daughter and her husband for their baby shower. (That got my nose out of joint a little bit, but they came ---and they turned out to be very lovely guests.) They ended up coming back the 2nd time with the two rooms and all was well. Each time she asked me if we discount for AAA or for seniors, and both times I explained that we give so much value for the price....(you know the spiel), and said no.
She called for last weekend because her brother is in hospice and they needed Saturday night but weren't sure about Sunday. Once again, she asked for AAA or senior discount. I'm thinking, no discount for a one nighter on Saturday in my best room, even if it IS January! NO!! I ended up telling her if they ended up staying Sunday, I'd discount Saturday to the Sunday price, and the minute it came out my mouth I was kicking myself in the rear. She was THRILLED with the compromise, and they did end up staying the 2nd night.
I felt a bit mad at myself for caving in, but decided to let it go. (My new years resolution is that nobody can take advantage of you without your permission....so if YOU give them permission then just forget about it and get over it!)
Sorry for the LONG set-up, but I'm finally to the point. They stayed 2 nights. They were, as always, lovely lo-maintenance guests. They left cash on the table BOTH mornings at breakfast (which 99% of guests do not do), as well as cash in the room BOTH mornings for the housekeepers (which most of our guests do not do). So it's not that they can't afford to pay. And it's not that they aren't generous. It's that she's not going to be truly happy if she doesn't get a little something off.
This instance it worked out just fine. She was happy. Housekeepers were happy. We were happy.

Tom said:
Agree with everything you said, Tom. But just want to hijack the thread a minute to respond to this line about people who can't bring themselves to pay full price.
I have a repeating couple....they've been here 3 times so far. The first was to 'check us out' because on their next visit,IF we were nice enough, they'd be coming back and bringing their pregnant daughter and her husband for their baby shower. (That got my nose out of joint a little bit, but they came ---and they turned out to be very lovely guests.) They ended up coming back the 2nd time with the two rooms and all was well. Each time she asked me if we discount for AAA or for seniors, and both times I explained that we give so much value for the price....(you know the spiel), and said no.
She called for last weekend because her brother is in hospice and they needed Saturday night but weren't sure about Sunday. Once again, she asked for AAA or senior discount. I'm thinking, no discount for a one nighter on Saturday in my best room, even if it IS January! NO!! I ended up telling her if they ended up staying Sunday, I'd discount Saturday to the Sunday price, and the minute it came out my mouth I was kicking myself in the rear. She was THRILLED with the compromise, and they did end up staying the 2nd night.
I felt a bit mad at myself for caving in, but decided to let it go. (My new years resolution is that nobody can take advantage of you without your permission....so if YOU give them permission then just forget about it and get over it!)
Sorry for the LONG set-up, but I'm finally to the point. They stayed 2 nights. They were, as always, lovely lo-maintenance guests. They left cash on the table BOTH mornings at breakfast (which 99% of guests do not do), as well as cash in the room BOTH mornings for the housekeepers (which most of our guests do not do). So it's not that they can't afford to pay. And it's not that they aren't generous. It's that she's not going to be truly happy if she doesn't get a little something off.
This instance it worked out just fine. She was happy. Housekeepers were happy. We were happy.
I think there's just something about getting a bargain. People who are not in business never stop to think that we just raise our prices 10% then give them 10% off.
Perception is reality!

Tom said:
I've been able to avoid repeats asking for discounts every year by just giving it to them myself. Some of them don't care, they'd come anyway (lesson learned); but for some it's like this neat inside joke, 'We got our frequent sleeper discount!' Since the economic downturn we have not added any new guests to the discount roster. We don't mention it anywhere. It just 'happens'. And, if you've not been back in several years or if you've committed the ultimate crime of cancelling at the last minute, no more discount until you prove yourself again.
This year anyone pushing for a discount will be offered an in-room perk that is priced lower than any discount I would have given anyway.

Tom said:
I think there's just something about getting a bargain. People who are not in business never stop to think that we just raise our prices 10% then give them 10% off.
Perception is reality!
Gingerbread Latte said:
Perception is reality!
Remember you have to raise the prices more than the discount % to get the price you want. (I learned that trick selling on eBay.)

Tom said:
I've been able to avoid repeats asking for discounts every year by just giving it to them myself. Some of them don't care, they'd come anyway (lesson learned); but for some it's like this neat inside joke, 'We got our frequent sleeper discount!' Since the economic downturn we have not added any new guests to the discount roster. We don't mention it anywhere. It just 'happens'. And, if you've not been back in several years or if you've committed the ultimate crime of cancelling at the last minute, no more discount until you prove yourself again.
This year anyone pushing for a discount will be offered an in-room perk that is priced lower than any discount I would have given anyway.
Like what??

remember most people are not looking "for a bargain" - they want "value" - two very different things

remember most people are not looking "for a bargain" - they want "value" - two very different things.
I definitely agree that they are two separate things.
Do you think the consumer is so used to looking for a discount of some sort that they apply that mentality to everything? It seems like more marketing is geared toward things being "on sale" than looking for a good value for your money. Just thinking out loud.

if it is friends staying in the room then you would not have to pay occ tax, if it's a comped room (business purposes, exchange for advertising etc "technically" the bed is occupied and there is an "exchange" of goods and services so you probably should have to pay the hotel/bed tax but this would range from city to city / county so check with your local auth
I err on the side of caution with this but at the same time I am not going to overpay
In my county stays of 10 nights or longer are hotel tax exempt (no form needed) I just declare it as tax exempt when I pay my hotel tax.
In my county, it is after the 10th day that no hotel tax is collected. You must collect tax on the first 10 days.

Tom said:
Like what??
InnBloom said:
Like what??
We have a lot of little shops in the area that produce local goods. So it would be something from them. I put together a package I offered on TripAdvisor (to see who was clicking that link) and it cost me about $6 to put together. 2 coffee mugs, a box of taffy and something else that I can't remember right now.
So, I help the local economy and save a few bucks. I always have this stuff on hand anyway.

I always say abour $20 more than i want then I can say "oh well your twisting my arm but I'll give you XX off" and they think they have gotten a bargain and I know they could have had it for that anyway. It is all about perceptions they are happy I am happy everyone wins. Plus 9 times out of 10 they accept the higher price right off so I gain al round!

Tom said:
Good comment, and, 10% -- not a big deal. Last summer we had all nights after first at -10% to boost multinight stays, seemed to work for some people.
InnBloom said:
It's that she's not going to be truly happy if she doesn't get a little something off.
This may be true, but even more on-point, she doesn't want to miss a deal like AAA or senior or ... if it is there. She doesn't want to pay more than she has to pay. I'm OK with that. If we normally will deal a little on a slow weekend, people should not have to beg. Get to your discount quickly and stop firm right there.
It is the persistent wanting to get way down, way better than everyone else that we won't abide. Refer to a recent post with a link to an article about some guy who calls a half dozen places and tries to work them off against each other. If a caller tells me that XYZ B&B offered him a room for (way lower $), I'll say "that is a great price, it is a lovely place, you will enjoy it", and terminate the call. Hope they weren't making it up!
This is fairly rare - we here gripe about the rare - but it is a persistent, negative aspect to running an inn.

Tom said:
Good comment, and, 10% -- not a big deal. Last summer we had all nights after first at -10% to boost multinight stays, seemed to work for some people.
InnBloom said:
It's that she's not going to be truly happy if she doesn't get a little something off.
This may be true, but even more on-point, she doesn't want to miss a deal like AAA or senior or ... if it is there. She doesn't want to pay more than she has to pay. I'm OK with that. If we normally will deal a little on a slow weekend, people should not have to beg. Get to your discount quickly and stop firm right there.
It is the persistent wanting to get way down, way better than everyone else that we won't abide. Refer to a recent post with a link to an article about some guy who calls a half dozen places and tries to work them off against each other. If a caller tells me that XYZ B&B offered him a room for (way lower $), I'll say "that is a great price, it is a lovely place, you will enjoy it", and terminate the call. Hope they weren't making it up!
This is fairly rare - we here gripe about the rare - but it is a persistent, negative aspect to running an inn.
Tom said:
I do something along those lines. 'Wow! That is an excellent price! I don't know how they do that. Well, you get what you pay for I suppose.' Dead air. Do not speak. Let the caller speak first.

Back