Shut Down and Go?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This morning was the closest I've ever been to wanting to throw all the guests out and just shut the front door.
Yesterday we went out on one of our regular shopping trips after finishing the rooms, got half way into town and some idiot pulled out in front of us, hit him at 45mph. The car went off onto the bank on the other side of the road, thank heavens it didn't turn over and there was nothing coming the other way. We both got out, but dh hit his head and we both had aches in our ribs. Got taken by ambulance to the hospital and were checked over / had chest x-rays. both ok, just bruised. The car is a write-off.
And if that wasn't enough this morning whilst we're getting ready for breakfast dh had the call to say his sister passed during the night.
But we laughed with guests and carried on, now there all gone we both feel wretched..
So sorry to hear. May your heart and soul find peace and comfort.

This morning was the closest I've ever been to wanting to throw all the guests out and just shut the front door.
Yesterday we went out on one of our regular shopping trips after finishing the rooms, got half way into town and some idiot pulled out in front of us, hit him at 45mph. The car went off onto the bank on the other side of the road, thank heavens it didn't turn over and there was nothing coming the other way. We both got out, but dh hit his head and we both had aches in our ribs. Got taken by ambulance to the hospital and were checked over / had chest x-rays. both ok, just bruised. The car is a write-off.
And if that wasn't enough this morning whilst we're getting ready for breakfast dh had the call to say his sister passed during the night.
But we laughed with guests and carried on, now there all gone we both feel wretched..
How scary for you. I am so glad you were not hurt badly. And so very, very sorry for your loss. Hugs.

I am so sorry for the loss of DH's sister. Please accept our condolences. It is difficult, even when one has had time to prepare.
Thankful that neither of you were HURT, just hurting. Cars can be replaced. Prayers are with you in this time of double turmoil.

I'm glad you weren't more seriously injured in the accident. It sounds like it could have been much worse.
I'm very sorry for your loss, and that it comes at a time when your business is demanding. Hopefully you and your DH have found someone to run things in some manner so you can both get away.

So very sorry. Hugs to both of you.

There is never a good time to be in an accident...but the timing of this one just adds to your misery. So sorry to hear of your loss and hope that life will look better soon.
heart.gif

WE are so sorry to hear of your loss.
Hope you can take the time to rest both the soul and the body.
Trying to find a car I know can be hard . Hopefully all will fall into place quickly.

so very sorry. i hope you have found someone to watch the place so you can go.
heart.gif

Our condolences. Sad news. And on top of a car accident. Your body and mind will ache, try to take it easy for some time, defer and delay. Wishing you the strength to sustain you during this difficult time.

So sorry for you both. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

hope you are both ok - its the rush of adrenaline wearing off that adds to the feeling of wretchedness - that you are both in one piece is the most important thing

My deepest condolences. I'm so glad you're ok. Cars can be replaced, but hearts take longer to heal. Take care of yourselves.

Keeping you in our thoughts with an innkeepers' understanding. Very grateful you are not more seriously injured and sorry to hear you had to put on the face at such a difficult time.

I am late in replying- sorry for your loss and glad the accident was not worse. That said-Go with your DH, life happens and in a small business as yours specially because there is only two of you-the guests will either understand or be pissy-like K said-FAMILY FIRST! Guests will come and go-give them a discount if you can, or a gift certificate for breakfast in town, but I am sue that most will understand a family emergency, and that is what this is...

Thank you everyone for your kind words, I took your advice, it has all been sorted.
The funeral is Monday next week, I have a friend who will house sit Monday night and do a light breakfast Tuesday morning. I have a group of 4 in but they are here for 3 nights leaving Tuesday and we had Tuesday blocked as a day off already.
Luckily the people who are checking out Monday morning are regulars and I've emailed and asked if they wouldn't mind an earlier check-out so we can turn their room around for the friend who's staying. They were fine.
So we'll do an earlier breakfast Monday, check two out, give keys the the remaining 4. Dash around and clean as much as possible, off to the airport leaving here at 10, funeral in the afternoon and then fly back Tuesday morning.

Thank you everyone for your kind words, I took your advice, it has all been sorted.
The funeral is Monday next week, I have a friend who will house sit Monday night and do a light breakfast Tuesday morning. I have a group of 4 in but they are here for 3 nights leaving Tuesday and we had Tuesday blocked as a day off already.
Luckily the people who are checking out Monday morning are regulars and I've emailed and asked if they wouldn't mind an earlier check-out so we can turn their room around for the friend who's staying. They were fine.
So we'll do an earlier breakfast Monday, check two out, give keys the the remaining 4. Dash around and clean as much as possible, off to the airport leaving here at 10, funeral in the afternoon and then fly back Tuesday morning..
So glad you got it sorted out so you could go. We try not to let the inn run us and it makes such a difference about how we feel about what we do.

So we'll do an earlier breakfast Monday, check two out, give keys the the remaining 4. Dash around and clean as much as possible, off to the airport leaving here at 10, funeral in the afternoon and then fly back Tuesday morning..
Well I can't believe this all worked. On Monday the regulars checked out by 9am, all the others had gone out for the day by 9.15.
That meant we could clear breakfast, get certain items washed and dried and the tables laid for breakfast on Tuesday morning. We also cleaned the vacated room ready for our friend to use last night.
Was out of here at 10am for a 11.30 flight. Arrived at families house at 1.30 for a 3.30 arrival of the funeral cars.
This morning we caught the 9.30 flight back and was home by 11.30. Spoke to friend who said it all went smoothly. I Gave folks a discount so they were happy, left a bottle of wine and a thank you note in the regulars room to say thanks for agreeing to check out early. So I think everyone was ok.

Well I can't believe this all worked. On Monday the regulars checked out by 9am, all the others had gone out for the day by 9.15.
That meant we could clear breakfast, get certain items washed and dried and the tables laid for breakfast on Tuesday morning. We also cleaned the vacated room ready for our friend to use last night.
Was out of here at 10am for a 11.30 flight. Arrived at families house at 1.30 for a 3.30 arrival of the funeral cars.
This morning we caught the 9.30 flight back and was home by 11.30. Spoke to friend who said it all went smoothly. I Gave folks a discount so they were happy, left a bottle of wine and a thank you note in the regulars room to say thanks for agreeing to check out early. So I think everyone was ok.
Things happen the way they're supposed to. Glad it all worked out for you and sorry again for your loss.

Back