Smoking - My Pet Peeve!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MtnKeeper

Reaction score
As our website says, we are completely non-smoking except for the smoking station in the parking lot. I would love to remove that as well but at least we can send guests there who didn't read about us being smoking free. We have signs in the guest rooms and they agree on their sign-in sheet that they will be required to pay a $250 fee for smoking. We don't even let guests smoke in the backyard because many guests like to leave their windows open. And I certainly don't want guests smoking at the front door because as an asthmatic there is nothing worse than when I had to walk through smoke to get inside a building.
So to my horror I had guests who went outside in my beautiful bathrobes to the smoking station to enjoy their butts before breakfast. What a site - they were standing out there in my beautiful white robes with their sneakers on puffing away. What the hell are they thinking?

They're thinking, "how nice, I don't have to get dressed."
Big peeve of mine as well. Ditto asthmatic. I need a smoking sign that states distance from building and never! on the patio or porch.
Did I mention that the day I got back from my mother's funeral we had a guest whose sister stopped by. Sis gets out of her car blowing smoke everywhere. She comes over to where I'm talking to the guest. Without batting an eye I looked at her and said, "I just buried my mother. She died from lung cancer. You should quit now." And I walked away.
Gomez was mortified. I didn't care. Guest thanked me.
The smell of cig smoke now sends me off the deep end. (My dad is also dying from lung cancer. Diagnosed the day after my mother died. Don't even get near me smelling like that.)

Smokers are amazing at denial. I recently went to the Pulmanary doctor to see about my recurring problem with lung infections and while I was in the waiting room another waiting patient went out twice to smoke. She smelled so bad when she came back into the waiting room I had to move to the other side of the room. What was she thinking???? Smoking before her lung doctor appointment....the height of addiction!
We have not had anyone smoking on the property or in the house since we tightened our policy to No Smoking, NONE, in or on the property...ever!

These are your guests. They are following your rules unless you state that they are not to wear the b&b robes at the smoking station.
Let me be clear: I've never been a smoker and can't stand the smell of it, never mind the health issues. But I do have a few in my circle of family and friends who smoke. They don't believe that I can smell it on their clothes, their hands, their hair. Give one a ride and the smell lingers in my car. They have quit a hundred times over. I always know when they've started up again. You'd know, too.

Before my Dad quit, we would come home from a visit to his house and change clothes in the guest room. If I changed in my bedroom, I'd be awake all night smelling smoke.
(before the inn, when we had a house with unoccupied 'guest rooms'.)

We 'solved' the smoking issue by creating an actual smoking area. It's away from the porch and lawn where people tend to sit. On the other side of the house, so it's not in view or in scent of the guests relaxing.
Once there was a designated area, we no longer had the driveway walkers, the butt litterers or the porch sitters (thinking it was ok because it was outside.)

Smokers cant smell. They don't realize it when we smell it on everything. I saw a gal in a rental car with cig in hand yesterday, and I thought, she will say the same thing they say to us "The car smells because it came off my clothes and fingers"
Really, it is just one thing we have to deal with amongst others. We all have our minor and major irritations. We can't dislike our guests because they smoke, in or out of our bathrobes, they don't even think about it, they are thinking "It's cold, we'll wear our robes out and they will be washed anyway when we are done"
I love people who smoke. I loved people who died from lung cancer too. I wish they didn't, but they do.

Smokers cant smell. They don't realize it when we smell it on everything. I saw a gal in a rental car with cig in hand yesterday, and I thought, she will say the same thing they say to us "The car smells because it came off my clothes and fingers"
Really, it is just one thing we have to deal with amongst others. We all have our minor and major irritations. We can't dislike our guests because they smoke, in or out of our bathrobes, they don't even think about it, they are thinking "It's cold, we'll wear our robes out and they will be washed anyway when we are done"
I love people who smoke. I loved people who died from lung cancer too. I wish they didn't, but they do..
Daddy smoked until he was 69 - he died in my house of lung cancer at 79. B-i-L smoked and died of lung cancer in my house at age 53. B-i-L said no one held a gun to his head to make him smoke, he made his choices. Daddy was of an era when most people smoked. I never did and prefer to not be around smoking - but I am not going to make any smoker feel like a third-class citizen.
Himself is as hard to watch as Daddy & B-i-L for a different reason - he now struggles to get out of a chair - chooses the type of chair he can even sit in carefully due to this. And this is the least of the problems he has.
And no matter what the cause - none of us will get out alive. Compassion is the ingredient we ALL need.

I love people who smoke. I loved people who died from lung cancer too. I wish they didn't, but they do..
Daddy smoked until he was 69 - he died in my house of lung cancer at 79. B-i-L smoked and died of lung cancer in my house at age 53. B-i-L said no one held a gun to his head to make him smoke, he made his choices. Daddy was of an era when most people smoked. I never did and prefer to not be around smoking - but I am not going to make any smoker feel like a third-class citizen.
Himself is as hard to watch as Daddy & B-i-L for a different reason - he now struggles to get out of a chair - chooses the type of chair he can even sit in carefully due to this. And this is the least of the problems he has.
And no matter what the cause - none of us will get out alive. Compassion is the ingredient we ALL need.
(OT, but have you considered the chair that stands you up slowly? We have used them and they are a god-send for some.)

I'm like that. My parents smoked our whole lives and inside the house, at the dinner table, in the car. Mom died of lung cancer at 69. Dad is still with us at 89! You never know.
I think these days smoking is stupid, but I'm not going to judge. Just keep it to the designated area and enjoy!

(OT, but have you considered the chair that stands you up slowly? We have used them and they are a god-send for some.)
They are bulky, large. and heavy (the Duchess had one when she cam in 1995). I was referring to when we go anywhere. And yes, sometimes even here. We recently bought a chair for in front of the easel from a restaurant supply because he can usually get up from that. A couple nights ago, he had to call me to help him up - but it was late and he was tired. He gets a tad weaker each month - post polio syndrome and there is nothing that will or can fix it.
Thank you for thinking of him.

Back