Smoking - what do you do for a guest who just has to?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We allow smoking outside and provide ashtrays. People have been very polite with their smoking and the only thing that's happened is that they think they are doing you a favor and clean up after themselves by putting the butts and ashes in the trash can. Stinko!!! But at least when you remove the trash, the smell goes away.
DH was able to quit smoking with e-cigs. I think they're great. Around the breakfast table? Uhhhh, noooooo..
Breakfast Diva said:
We allow smoking outside and provide ashtrays. People have been very polite with their smoking and the only thing that's happened is that they think they are doing you a favor and clean up after themselves by putting the butts and ashes in the trash can. Stinko!!! But at least when you remove the trash, the smell goes away.
DH was able to quit smoking with e-cigs. I think they're great. Around the breakfast table? Uhhhh, noooooo.
We have a house rule (from when my parents smoked,) the ashtray has to sit at least overnight before you put it in the trash. I am paranoid of smoldering ash creating a real fire. I wouldn't want them to clean up after themselves.
TheBeachHouse said:
Breakfast Diva said:
DH was able to quit smoking with e-cigs. I think they're great. Around the breakfast table? Uhhhh, noooooo.
We have a house rule (from when my parents smoked,) the ashtray has to sit at least overnight before you put it in the trash. I am paranoid of smoldering ash creating a real fire. I wouldn't want them to clean up after themselves.
Before your time here we had an innmate lose not only a B&B they worked for years to renovate and open, but also loss of life. It was in Rome Georgia if you wish to google it. I had the article here for guests who smoked and they snubbed their nose at it, really? Someone dies, someone loses a wife at a B&B and you do that?

DH was able to quit smoking with e-cigs. I think they're great. Around the breakfast table? Uhhhh, noooooo..
Breakfast Diva said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Before your time here we had an innmate lose not only a B&B they worked for years to renovate and open, but also loss of life. It was in Rome Georgia if you wish to google it. I had the article here for guests who smoked and they snubbed their nose at it, really? Someone dies, someone loses a wife at a B&B and you do that?
That is unimaginable sad.

Breakfast Diva said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Breakfast Diva said:
TheBeachHouse said:
She ran back in to get her purse. He went after her and was burned badly, she died. Innkeeping aint for wimps. We have a lot of responsibility. People call it rules, but it is guest safety and security on our clock!

So, of course, we have smokers. Sitting right under my window where I have the fan blowing in. Have to switch it to blowing out or close the window.
I figured 1 night, 1 Cig every so often, no biggie. No. 2 chain smokers. They went thru 10 cigs each while I talked to them. At this point it was kind of awkward to tell them to move to the lawn. That's a pack of cigs in 30 minutes.
How they are surviving in this land of no indoor smoking I don't know.
Will have to make a note for the housekeeper to check the bedding for smoke smell. Big laundry day ahead.

Since our inn is in Colorado, "smoking" has taken on an entirely new meaning in the last year or so. Medical marijuana was bad enough. Now there are actually "marijuana travel agencies" who try to sign up "destinations" in the state.
Um, no. We don't allow smoking, whether it's tobacco or weed. It's still almost impossible to get the smell out of fabrics in the rooms. And besides, our dumpster isn't big enough to contain all the KFC buckets in case your clients get the munchies in the middle of the night.
Tom

Since our inn is in Colorado, "smoking" has taken on an entirely new meaning in the last year or so. Medical marijuana was bad enough. Now there are actually "marijuana travel agencies" who try to sign up "destinations" in the state.
Um, no. We don't allow smoking, whether it's tobacco or weed. It's still almost impossible to get the smell out of fabrics in the rooms. And besides, our dumpster isn't big enough to contain all the KFC buckets in case your clients get the munchies in the middle of the night.
Tom.
HighMountainLodge said:
Tom
I had to admit, at least they will enjoy the check in refreshments, or evening turn down goodies. Better keep the cookie jar stocked.
Just saw this in the news.

Tom.
HighMountainLodge said:
Tom
LOL at the KFC trash.

Back