snacks

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I stayed at a place once that advertised continental breakfast. They had coffee, tea and a plate of store bought doughnuts. I am not kidding. I was soooo disappointed. Kind of p!ssed off..
TheBeachHouse said:
I stayed at a place once that advertised continental breakfast. They had coffee, tea and a plate of store bought doughnuts. I am not kidding. I was soooo disappointed. Kind of p!ssed off.
I can meet you and up ya one:
a) One cup of Instant coffee, or tea, ONE slice each of thin storebought white toast with a choice or marmalade, or margarine. We paid extra for the continental breakfast through British Airways. London
b) Then the B&B who had a Mr Coffee (which was empty when we approached it) and a bag of storebought white bread FROM the freezer and still frozen to make your own toast) and a bowl of oranges. I took the oranges. Townsville, Queensland Australia
c) A banana divided up between the innkeeping couple who sat with us and shared the table uninvited, and what we thought, and still do think, was french toast made from a hot dog bun. She called it stuffed french toast, we called it a hot dog bun. Also flavored coffee that gave us a rotting gut...We had to leave after breakfast and go get breakfast. Bristol Tennessee
c) an Entennman's pack of Danish and a pot of coffee. I actually didn't mind this one, to be honest. It was a take with you and sit outside type thing, so didn't worry me. Palm Springs, CALF
Wait! Guests told me about the place where the owner came by and put a dozen krispy kreme on the counter and left. I forgot about that, it was also TN. We had a great laugh, and I said "Hm I actually really like Krispy Kreme..."
devil_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
I stayed at a place once that advertised continental breakfast. They had coffee, tea and a plate of store bought doughnuts. I am not kidding. I was soooo disappointed. Kind of p!ssed off.
I can meet you and up ya one:
a) One cup of Instant coffee, or tea, ONE slice each of thin storebought white toast with a choice or marmalade, or margarine. We paid extra for the continental breakfast through British Airways. London
b) Then the B&B who had a Mr Coffee (which was empty when we approached it) and a bag of storebought white bread FROM the freezer and still frozen to make your own toast) and a bowl of oranges. I took the oranges. Townsville, Queensland Australia
c) A banana divided up between the innkeeping couple who sat with us and shared the table uninvited, and what we thought, and still do think, was french toast made from a hot dog bun. She called it stuffed french toast, we called it a hot dog bun. Also flavored coffee that gave us a rotting gut...We had to leave after breakfast and go get breakfast. Bristol Tennessee
c) an Entennman's pack of Danish and a pot of coffee. I actually didn't mind this one, to be honest. It was a take with you and sit outside type thing, so didn't worry me. Palm Springs, CALF
Wait! Guests told me about the place where the owner came by and put a dozen krispy kreme on the counter and left. I forgot about that, it was also TN. We had a great laugh, and I said "Hm I actually really like Krispy Kreme..."
devil_smile.gif
I will see you and raise you one!
In Vermont - Paid in advance for 4 people - 2 rooms. We are told the night of arrival that she is busy with the kennels in the morning so the refrigerator is stocked, just fix what we want and she cleans up. OK.
next morning we find a small amount of cream, instant coffee, OJ, and 1 (yes, that is ONE) egg for the 4 of us.

My guests arrive at all hours so I do not do evening anything other than chat if they want. I DO have a basket in each guest room for arrivals with 2 bananas, 4 or more apples, and several "breakfast" bars since I do not remember what the heck they are termed. Sometimes the basket is cleaned out (even with a one-nighter) sometimes untouched. Sometimes just the apples are left.
Re the muffins, get mini-muffin pans. One recipe will make 30 to 36 minis depending on how filled the pans are and the recipe. I often make a half recipe to get a dozen minis (and extra batter to toss) when I only have 2 people. That gives me breakfast AND a "care package" of muffins for the road. Sometimes it is the size of the muffin that puts people off - more than they want. With the minis, they can take a couple and not feel like pigs, get a sugar fix without feeling they are over-indulging, and you are not wasting ingredients.
Then, if you have any left over and someone leaving, you can ask if they would like a "care package" of muffins. That is how I get the extras OUT of the house and the guests? - got something extra for free! I keep the generic zip bags for this - $1 get me 20 qt-size bags.

My guests arrive at all hours so I do not do evening anything other than chat if they want. I DO have a basket in each guest room for arrivals with 2 bananas, 4 or more apples, and several "breakfast" bars since I do not remember what the heck they are termed. Sometimes the basket is cleaned out (even with a one-nighter) sometimes untouched. Sometimes just the apples are left.
Re the muffins, get mini-muffin pans. One recipe will make 30 to 36 minis depending on how filled the pans are and the recipe. I often make a half recipe to get a dozen minis (and extra batter to toss) when I only have 2 people. That gives me breakfast AND a "care package" of muffins for the road. Sometimes it is the size of the muffin that puts people off - more than they want. With the minis, they can take a couple and not feel like pigs, get a sugar fix without feeling they are over-indulging, and you are not wasting ingredients.
Then, if you have any left over and someone leaving, you can ask if they would like a "care package" of muffins. That is how I get the extras OUT of the house and the guests? - got something extra for free! I keep the generic zip bags for this - $1 get me 20 qt-size bags..
Buy some smaller mini muffin tins and when you don't need as many, put in the paper cups, spray with oil, put in the muffin batter and freeze. When frozen you can remove them from the pan and put into a plastic container to keep in the freezer. Then when you just new a few, you can bake a few. Keep a few containers like this and you can have different flavours at a moment's notice.

We don't leave out a snack bowl. However, I do bake several varieties of homemade cookies each night. They are usually all gone by morning. If not, I get a snack with my coffee.

Then, if you have any left over and someone leaving, you can ask if they would like a "care package" of muffins. That is how I get the extras OUT of the house and the guests? - got something extra for free! I keep the generic zip bags for this - $1 get me 20 qt-size bags..
Buy some smaller mini muffin tins and when you don't need as many, put in the paper cups, spray with oil, put in the muffin batter and freeze. When frozen you can remove them from the pan and put into a plastic container to keep in the freezer. Then when you just new a few, you can bake a few. Keep a few containers like this and you can have different flavours at a moment's notice.
Have done that without the papers. It works nicely. But 12 muffins (minis) is perfect for breakfast and the "care package". It is rare when they say thanks but no thanks to the care package. I do not have room in the freezer for muffins. I just made a score on red raspberries - got 8 of the 6 oz containers for $6. We go through them berry by berry. Less than 6oz were tossed out. I got 2 bags forthe freezer and DH got 2 days of berries for his breakfast. I still have blackberries & blueberries from previous scores at the porduce shop plud DD from Iowa brought venison & pork & a rye her Dad likes - 10 loaves!

I had treats waiting in their rooms for them every afternoon - plated with a note - bar cookies, cookies, sometimes fudge or maybe even a seasonal item like caramel apples. That worked for our situation with two houses. If I put out a cake in the dining room, sometimes folks would go for it and mostly they would not. We also had refrigerators in the rooms in our second house and one near all the rooms in our main house which were stocked with sodas and bottled water. Pitchers of tea or lemonade in the dining room also didn't get consumed.
I also had whole fresh fruit (apples, oranges, bananas) out in the dining room.
For VIP guests, I also would put several types of savory treats in a basket in their room - individual 100 cal bags of chips, popcorn, crackers, etc.

We have homemade cookies waiting for the guests. Some even leave reviews about the cookies, and say they look forward to returning just for them!

We put out fresh cookies in the afternoon and we also have a basket full of crackers, chips, pretzels and snack mix they can help themselves to whenever they want. We also have a Keurig and a small fridge filled with various beverages. In the bedrooms we leave bottled water, nuts, cookies, and chocolates.

Very easy: bake some muffins for people to enjoy throughout the day. Here's an easy, delicious recipe (you can do a half recipe in a mini-muffin pan if you don't need a lot):
https://www.innspiring.com/recipe/breakfast/pecan-pie-muffins.
Very easy: bake some muffins for people to enjoy throughout the day. Here's an easy, delicious recipe (you can do a half recipe in a mini-muffin pan if you don't need a lot):
https://www.innspiring.com/recipe/breakfast/pecan-pie-muffins
Those are best right out of the oven. By day's end, they're so hard, you could chip a tooth.

We serve a bottle of wine, shrimp cocktail, cheese and one or two other delights. We have been here four years and have seen our business grow by about 10% each year. Many guests say they have been going to B&Bs for 30 years and have never experienced such luxury. People who use B&Bs are not looking for a place to sleep, (they can get that from Motel6) They are looking for the experience. Provide that and you will be a success. Check out our tripadvisor comments

Back to the snacks...some days nothing is touched and then there is today. 4 rooms cleared out one coffee cake. I waited until they were gone out for dinner and put out a half a coffee cake. They came back from dinner and had the half for dessert. No other guests got anything.

Back to the snacks...some days nothing is touched and then there is today. 4 rooms cleared out one coffee cake. I waited until they were gone out for dinner and put out a half a coffee cake. They came back from dinner and had the half for dessert. No other guests got anything..
I just hate it when some guests think EVERYTHING is about them! Others paid for the same thing but they didn't get it because of them! I hear this all too often from many folks these days..always out for "what they can get" out of the inn or cabin owners....whatever it might be.

Back to the snacks...some days nothing is touched and then there is today. 4 rooms cleared out one coffee cake. I waited until they were gone out for dinner and put out a half a coffee cake. They came back from dinner and had the half for dessert. No other guests got anything..
I just hate it when some guests think EVERYTHING is about them! Others paid for the same thing but they didn't get it because of them! I hear this all too often from many folks these days..always out for "what they can get" out of the inn or cabin owners....whatever it might be.
And then tonight I got someone who sneered at the dessert and said they wouldn't be touching it all. As if I'd put out rat poison. Hey, pal, don't eat it and likewise, don't mouth off about it.

Back