Snippy callers

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We find the Dutch out of all travelers are the most organised (think it helps most speak about 4 languages) and they always seem really interested in what is going on around them. I like the way the US soldiers from the base always call me Mam (ie thank you mam) it always makes me smile plus I do like a man in uniform. We find the brainer the person is the dafter they are ie can't open their room door without supervision..
I know immediately when I have a serviceperson in the house. It's 'Yes, ma'am, no ma'am' all the time.
Alibi Ike said:
I know immediately when I have a serviceperson in the house. It's 'Yes, ma'am, no ma'am' all the time.
Most southern boys will have been taught to do this as well. We still laugh about when our son got married. The preacher asked him, "Do you take this woman..." and he answered in a slow Texas drawl " Yes sir, I do".

We find the Dutch out of all travelers are the most organised (think it helps most speak about 4 languages) and they always seem really interested in what is going on around them. I like the way the US soldiers from the base always call me Mam (ie thank you mam) it always makes me smile plus I do like a man in uniform. We find the brainer the person is the dafter they are ie can't open their room door without supervision..
Alibi Ike said:
Took a reservation today and even when he was giving me his credit card number he would pause after each 4 digits 1234 ma'm 5678 ma'm At first I was tickled, then I thought gee how long is it going to take to complete this reservation with all these Ma'ms !!!! lol

Or a non southerner. I have to say that the majority of those who are saying yes m'am and yes sir are from the south. Yes, I guarantee it.
So all you northerners and westerners (hey man) send your kids off to learn some respect! Teach them a little semper fi. Too bad they can't learn that respect at home!
YES SIR!

Alibi Ike said:
Most southern boys will have been taught to do this as well. We still laugh about when our son got married. The preacher asked him, "Do you take this woman..." and he answered in a slow Texas drawl " Yes sir, I do".
Proud Texan said:
Alibi Ike said:
That is the thing, he is a preacher, so the son should have said Yes Sir.
You folks need to get down here to the South and git you sum learnin'! I tell you what! If they are giving lip to anyone, an old granny in a store will walk right up all 75 lbs of her and tell them "Don't you speak to your Mama that way!" and the kid will reply, "No m'am, I'ma sorry." Imagine that, imagine if everyone was respectful and taught it to those "youngin's!"

Or a non southerner. I have to say that the majority of those who are saying yes m'am and yes sir are from the south. Yes, I guarantee it.
So all you northerners and westerners (hey man) send your kids off to learn some respect! Teach them a little semper fi. Too bad they can't learn that respect at home!
YES SIR!.
My mother loved how my southern BF yes ma'am'ed her. Thought it was the sweetest thing. When I got older I told her he was hell on wheels once we got out the door. Just because a boy can yes ma'am you to your your face does not make him the sort of person you should let your daughter out of the house with.
Respect is not about the words you use but it IS about the way you treat people.

YES SIR!.
My mother loved how my southern BF yes ma'am'ed her. Thought it was the sweetest thing. When I got older I told her he was hell on wheels once we got out the door. Just because a boy can yes ma'am you to your your face does not make him the sort of person you should let your daughter out of the house with.
Respect is not about the words you use but it IS about the way you treat people.
YES! There is NOTHING worse than the insincere "Yes, Ma'am".

YES SIR!.
Alibi Ike said:
It is about words. Harsh words are what we all have bad childhood memories of - sticks and stones was a lie, it is the whole package. When I speak to my nieces and nephews and they NEVER RESPOND back...oh yeah, real good.
Anyone can tell insincerity is false. We are not talking about insincere people, we are talking about speaking respectfully to others. If you have a dirt bag in your life that was an eddie haskell, he had her fooled but not you.
Let's put it this way, if he DOESN'T say Yes Sir and Yes M'am he won't be taking anybody out, period! That is the first step...then comes the rest of the checks in place. ha ha
(come on people check in check in already!!!! I feel like I am always waiting...)

YES SIR!.
Alibi Ike said:
It is about words. Harsh words are what we all have bad childhood memories of - sticks and stones was a lie, it is the whole package. When I speak to my nieces and nephews and they NEVER RESPOND back...oh yeah, real good.
Anyone can tell insincerity is false. We are not talking about insincere people, we are talking about speaking respectfully to others. If you have a dirt bag in your life that was an eddie haskell, he had her fooled but not you.
Let's put it this way, if he DOESN'T say Yes Sir and Yes M'am he won't be taking anybody out, period! That is the first step...then comes the rest of the checks in place. ha ha
(come on people check in check in already!!!! I feel like I am always waiting...)
Joey Bloggs said:
It's because you ARE!!! Waiting for them to check-in, waiting for them to eat breakfast, waiting for them to check-out! I'm sorry you're having to wait on such a beautiful day, I"m sending them vibes to get there soon already!
I am ready to punch the thermostat guy in the face, I can't even look at him so it's "operation avoid" right now. It's DH's bday today so we are off to dinner shortly at least.

Not all us northerners are rude....or disrespectfull
Though I agree.....it more common up here.......and getting worse

Though I agree.....it more common up here.......and getting worse.
In French it's called to "tu" someone. You see, instead of using the term "tu" which is the singular you (thou), when you convey respect in French you use "vous", which is the plural you (ye) or you all (y'all) as some of say.
In Italian, they use he/she and they instead of you to convey respect. It is tu in singular and voi in plural which become Lei and Loro. (And you capitalize to show that they are different from lei and loro.
And we have to be very careful with the word Madame around here. It conveys a sense of age as well... and say it to someone too young and you get that look on their face that say they are trying to make your head explode... like the movie scanners.

One Day said:
i love my northern guests like I said my ny's for 3 days were the fave all month!
You have a reputation, it is not me making it up. It is a "big city" mentality, as the NE is more populated than other US regions. You know how it is. Push and shove to get through, it certainly is that way in the big cities everywhere.

One Day said:
i love my northern guests like I said my ny's for 3 days were the fave all month!
You have a reputation, it is not me making it up. It is a "big city" mentality, as the NE is more populated than other US regions. You know how it is. Push and shove to get through, it certainly is that way in the big cities everywhere.
Joey Bloggs said:
One Day said:
All our northern guests are very polite. They know we have guns.
smiley-char092.gif

One Day said:
Joey Bloggs said:
One Day said:
smiley-char092.gif

smiley-char092.gif

[/quote]
And you ain't afraid to use 'em ;)

One Day said:
Joey Bloggs said:
One Day said:
smiley-char092.gif

Proud Texan said:
smiley-char092.gif
And you ain't afraid to use 'em ;)

Back