Socially Awkward

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had one this morning who ate his entire breakfast (pancakes, sausage and fruit course) with his coffee spoon. There was a salad fork for use with the fruit course and a regular fork available (with a knife) for the rest of the breakfast.
He just shoved these along with his napkin, still in the ring, to the side. Even though there was a full size placemat and coaster available for his beverages, he persisted in placing them directly on our wood table. I quietly picked the beverages up, wiped the moisture ring and placed the beverage back on the coaster or mat. This guy was raised in a barn.

We had one this morning who ate his entire breakfast (pancakes, sausage and fruit course) with his coffee spoon. There was a salad fork for use with the fruit course and a regular fork available (with a knife) for the rest of the breakfast.
He just shoved these along with his napkin, still in the ring, to the side. Even though there was a full size placemat and coaster available for his beverages, he persisted in placing them directly on our wood table. I quietly picked the beverages up, wiped the moisture ring and placed the beverage back on the coaster or mat. This guy was raised in a barn.

haha! would you like to know what totally killed a romance for me?
this goes back a couple years.
i had dinner with my 'bf' at his home. he then picked up his plate and licked it 'clean'. then ... are you ready for this? he put the plate back on top of the stack of plates in the cupboard. did the same with his utensils. licked them 'clean' then put them back in the silverware drawer. i sat there assuming the plate and utensils i was using had been 'cleaned' the same way.
omg_smile.gif
(gag)
absolutely revolting!
i left in a hurry and broke it off the next day. he accused me of being a snob.
angry_smile.gif
yup, that's me. too snobby to eat off dishes licked 'clean'. urg.
What the?? Totally gross!

He just shoved these along with his napkin, still in the ring, to the side. Even though there was a full size placemat and coaster available for his beverages, he persisted in placing them directly on our wood table. I quietly picked the beverages up, wiped the moisture ring and placed the beverage back on the coaster or mat. This guy was raised in a barn..
We had the spoon only thing with Army guys a couple of times who had breakfast here with their folks who were visiting during events. However, they realized what they were doing and apologized. Seems like they were only given spoons to eat with during the first several weeks of training. Haha!

Eric Arthur Blair said:
My parents would have beaten my hand if I had used the fork in the wrong hand or in the wrong way.
This seems to confirm a statement I once made here (and this is not my statement, I just heard it somewhere once): regarding the slurper, it's a reflection on his mother.
(Arkansawyer ducks as Morticia takes a swing at him.).
And regarding our reactions, they are a reflection on us.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
My parents would have beaten my hand if I had used the fork in the wrong hand or in the wrong way.
This seems to confirm a statement I once made here (and this is not my statement, I just heard it somewhere once): regarding the slurper, it's a reflection on his mother.
Anon Inn said:
thumbs_up.gif

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Anon Inn said:
It can be tough sometimes. But, I've read somewhere that the truest graciousness is not making your guests uncomfortable.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Anon Inn said:
It can be tough sometimes. But, I've read somewhere that the truest graciousness is not making your guests uncomfortable.
Madeleine said:
Anon Inn said:
We discussed that here before. I think a few of us have personally encountered the raised eyebrow or hugh when we said "I will die if I eat..." and then we get there and we are served "..."
Making you feel like a pork chop at a Kosher picnic!
Then there was the finicky picky guest who said she could ONLY eat oatmeal. When I brought her ONLY oatmeal she proclaimed with a flash of her hand in there air "Where are MY BLUEBERRIES?"
me me me!!!

Back