some Pita's are worse than others...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaisyMae

Reaction score
couple checked in yesterday. reservation was made a couple of months ago by her & was taken by me. asked me a TON of questions, which i don't mind but...she said she has never been to a B&B before & wanted to get a "feel" for the house. she wanted to know if the bathrooms are in the room or outside of the room. said she doesn';t want to hear bathroom noises of the person she is with. (it's her hubby, so i'm sure she has heard them before) i tell her the baths are more or less a part of the guestroom & that many B&B's are renovated old houses & sometimes the baths were, at one time, a closet. she hums, she haws & decides to make the reservation after i tell her there is availability for the dates she wants.
she proceeds to ask me about breakfast & i tell her what we had that a.m. for an example. She tells me she "does not want to eat crap food". huh? if she had made that statement before, i would have had 'no availability'. oh boy, can't wait for this one to visit!
anyway... they check in yesterday & she immediately needs to use the potty, so i show them to their room. she uses the potty, the sink, towels, t.p. etc
potty-mouth.gif
& about 10 whole minutes after their arrival she comes down to tell me that she doesn't like their room (she chose the room herself) & wants something bigger. oooooookaaaaaaayyyyyy!?
angry_smile.gif
i show her a 3rd floor suite which is much larger & i tell her the $$ difference. ( no way am i giving her a free upgrade) she decides to take it. so up the stairs she goes, dragging her DH by the nose right behind her.
this a.m. they say they are going out early to see the sunrise ( they left about 6:15 a.m.) our breakfast is between 8 - 9. they get back at 8a.m. they say they will be down in 45 minutes. at 10 a.m. they arrive in the dining room wondering where their waffles are. (what? you mean me & my DH were supposed to put our lives on hold for you?)
angry_smile.gif

they say they want the breakfast so we make it and then she says she does not want it. he barely eats any of it...then they go back to their room. they just act like nothing is good enough for them...they are more than welcome to go to a different one.
they are on my list of people who, when they call, we are full!
pita.gif

this is what i will be doing when they leave in the a.m.
welcome.gif
only my sign will say "Good Riddance!"

On another thread (about check in times) someone said, 'Give them an inch and they take a foot.' (It's actually 'and they take a mile,' but you get the idea.)
This is what happened to you. You gave in. They want more. You gave in again. They want more. Stop giving in. They chose the room. That's their room. (Altho you did upgrade and get more money, so you may think you won that round. Wrong. You gave in.) They missed breakfast. Tough. There is no way I would serve breakfast one full HOUR after it was over. Eat cereal. I'm not even IN the kitchen after breakfast is over.

On another thread (about check in times) someone said, 'Give them an inch and they take a foot.' (It's actually 'and they take a mile,' but you get the idea.)
This is what happened to you. You gave in. They want more. You gave in again. They want more. Stop giving in. They chose the room. That's their room. (Altho you did upgrade and get more money, so you may think you won that round. Wrong. You gave in.) They missed breakfast. Tough. There is no way I would serve breakfast one full HOUR after it was over. Eat cereal. I'm not even IN the kitchen after breakfast is over..
And Bree's comment is even more appropriate here "Give them an inch and they feel like rulers"...that's really what happened. Our breakfast is over at 9:30 and that kitchen door is locked at 9:31, it's over Johnny.
PITA's STINK!!!!!!!!!

we usually do stick to our policies no matter what & are rather strict. our breakfast is over at 9 am. we have too much work to do to wait around for people & be at their beck & call. in this instance, the room rate diference was significant so i don't mind recleaning a potty & sink & towels for the difference in $$ they were paying. i would not have let them switch if the price difference was only $50.00 or something.
as far as breakfast goes, on this particular morning the courses were food that needed to be prepared ahead not food that could be prepared per guest as they came down. i would rather the wine poached pears & lobster souffle get eaten as opposed to going in the garbage. i know they are paying for it but i hate to throw food away. we never allow a late breakfast in peak season. we only had 3 rooms rented so it's not like we were bombarded.
the point of my initial post is i just can't believe people. i have worked in the restaurant industry for 15 years and, as annoying as some of my customers were, they still behaved better than some of my B&B guests have. working with the public is always so much fun!

we usually do stick to our policies no matter what & are rather strict. our breakfast is over at 9 am. we have too much work to do to wait around for people & be at their beck & call. in this instance, the room rate diference was significant so i don't mind recleaning a potty & sink & towels for the difference in $$ they were paying. i would not have let them switch if the price difference was only $50.00 or something.
as far as breakfast goes, on this particular morning the courses were food that needed to be prepared ahead not food that could be prepared per guest as they came down. i would rather the wine poached pears & lobster souffle get eaten as opposed to going in the garbage. i know they are paying for it but i hate to throw food away. we never allow a late breakfast in peak season. we only had 3 rooms rented so it's not like we were bombarded.
the point of my initial post is i just can't believe people. i have worked in the restaurant industry for 15 years and, as annoying as some of my customers were, they still behaved better than some of my B&B guests have. working with the public is always so much fun!.
Now that my mouth is watering over the wine poached pears and lobster souffle...you have a FAR stronger willpower than I...had our guests not been seated by 9:30 on the dot I have NO doubt that DH and I would have shared the "uneatens" gleefully behind the locked kitchen door!
Are they gone now or staying again tonight?

no they are gone now, they left this morning. check out is @ 11am & they did not leave a minute sooner. of course! it's the really nice people that you wish could stay longer that don't. the PITA's stick around forever
something you should know about my willpower is that...i have none! usually my DH & I always prepare a portion for ourselves. espeially if it's something we really like. we take a bite here & there between serving guests.if we didn't do it that way we'd be eating breakfast in the afternoon. sometimes that does happen. when that happens i'm just too pooped by then to cook something for us.
chef.gif

no they are gone now, they left this morning. check out is @ 11am & they did not leave a minute sooner. of course! it's the really nice people that you wish could stay longer that don't. the PITA's stick around forever
something you should know about my willpower is that...i have none! usually my DH & I always prepare a portion for ourselves. espeially if it's something we really like. we take a bite here & there between serving guests.if we didn't do it that way we'd be eating breakfast in the afternoon. sometimes that does happen. when that happens i'm just too pooped by then to cook something for us.
chef.gif
I am glad for you that they are GONE! And of course you are right, the PITA's hang until 11:01 ALWAYS, the really great guests you woulnd't mind staying all morning are of course up and out the door by 9 AM.
I salute your habit of preparing a portion for yourselves and I hope that you at least got to eat your portion while waiting for the PITA's!
cheers.gif

Back