Something that will save your life....

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samster

Reaction score
....as an innkeeper.
Go get a spa chair manicure/pedicure!! I am visiting my innkeeper friend in TX who has been sick with pneumonia. She was feeling well enough yesterday to go out & we decided to treat ourselves to mani/pedis. OMG! Those gals have saved our lives. My feet have been killing me since I've been on them so much since opening. I feel like a New Woman! Then, the massage chairs worked out all the kinks in my back and helped her move the last of any junk in her lungs.
We gave them BIG tips. Angels in white smocks
angel_smile.gif

It will be the best money and hour that you spend. I highly recommend it and I'm really going to try and carve out an hour to do this at least every other week.
Swirt: The guys could enjoy this one too...don't be shy
teeth_smile.gif

My daughter took me to an all day spa day. It was great! I just looked up the prices for a mani/pedi in my area. Ouch. I'd rather go out to dinner, twice.

My daughter took me to an all day spa day. It was great! I just looked up the prices for a mani/pedi in my area. Ouch. I'd rather go out to dinner, twice..
Well, I disagree...here in the Houston area it was $35 each plus a tip. I'd much rather have my feet, legs, hands and arms massaged and have my feet and hands prettied up than pack on some pounds I don't need by eating out :) It was wonderful and really revived us.
Maybe you're looking at prices for services at your B&B? Or for acrylic nails?

My daughter took me to an all day spa day. It was great! I just looked up the prices for a mani/pedi in my area. Ouch. I'd rather go out to dinner, twice..
Well, I disagree...here in the Houston area it was $35 each plus a tip. I'd much rather have my feet, legs, hands and arms massaged and have my feet and hands prettied up than pack on some pounds I don't need by eating out :) It was wonderful and really revived us.
Well you know my reply on this one!!! I get a massage weekly and it is the best money I ever spend. I don't spend much on anything for myself these days. Not traveling, no new clothes, etc etc. so the least I can do for ME is a massage. LOVE IT!!!!!

Well you know my reply on this one!!! I get a massage weekly and it is the best money I ever spend. I don't spend much on anything for myself these days. Not traveling, no new clothes, etc etc. so the least I can do for ME is a massage. LOVE IT!!!!!
Here's the other thing about this...We now have hands that look a heck of a lot better for serving food & feet that look nice in sandals. haha
teeth_smile.gif

A mani/pedi was $68 not including tip. French style is $75. At the salon. They don't do acrylics.
The first time I went there (just for a haircut) I was stunned. I was going to have a haircut, color and eyebrow wax, something that had cost me $45 in VT. Here it was almost $100. Now, I know that's cheap elsewhere, but it's obviously 2x what I had paid 6 weeks prior and not including tip. If I wanted to go there tomorrow for those services the hair cut is $38+, the color is $78+ and the waxing is $15+.
If I went for the package (which includes makeup application) it's $185. I have no idea who goes there from this town! They passed out coupons for 'hotel guests' to get a facial for $75 ($20 off regular price).

Here's the other thing about this...We now have hands that look a heck of a lot better for serving food & feet that look nice in sandals. haha
teeth_smile.gif

Our health department gets a little freaky about manicures - I just went for me food service refresher course and she went around the room telling women who had them to get rid of them. Not a problem for me...
I used to love a nice pedicure but now I would go for a massage. I used to have one weekly but my massage therapist retired and I have yet to find a good replacement. I really need to - I miss her a lot!
Jeanne

Years ago in food service you could wear NO nail polish, had to have short trimmed clean nails, you could wear NO earrings, your hair must be pulled back and up. Etc. Now the servers in restaurants have Tongue, Nose and Nipple piercings that they show off. Black nail polish, false eyelashes etc. Wonder why so much stuff is spread around these days. Like HEPATITIS!

Years ago in food service you could wear NO nail polish, had to have short trimmed clean nails, you could wear NO earrings, your hair must be pulled back and up. Etc. Now the servers in restaurants have Tongue, Nose and Nipple piercings that they show off. Black nail polish, false eyelashes etc. Wonder why so much stuff is spread around these days. Like HEPATITIS!.
None of the servers I've seen around here have tongue or nose piercings (can't say one way or the other on the nipple)... and no black nail polish.
Just where have you been eating?
wink_smile.gif

=)
Kk.

teeth_smile.gif

Our health department gets a little freaky about manicures - I just went for me food service refresher course and she went around the room telling women who had them to get rid of them. Not a problem for me...
I used to love a nice pedicure but now I would go for a massage. I used to have one weekly but my massage therapist retired and I have yet to find a good replacement. I really need to - I miss her a lot!
Jeanne
muirford said:
Jeanne
She must have meant the acrylic nail 'add ons'. What the heck is wrong with a nice manicure? Or is it the polish chipping off they're worried about?

Years ago in food service you could wear NO nail polish, had to have short trimmed clean nails, you could wear NO earrings, your hair must be pulled back and up. Etc. Now the servers in restaurants have Tongue, Nose and Nipple piercings that they show off. Black nail polish, false eyelashes etc. Wonder why so much stuff is spread around these days. Like HEPATITIS!.
None of the servers I've seen around here have tongue or nose piercings (can't say one way or the other on the nipple)... and no black nail polish.
Just where have you been eating?
wink_smile.gif

=)
Kk.
Oh my gosh, I forgot how expensive things are back in the real world ...
We have a salon around the corner from our B&B (a 1 minute or less walk), a mani/pedi price is 189 pesos (less than 20.00 USD). They do a wonderful job and you can even have the French mani/pedi for NO extra charge. They do a wonderful job and we should go more often.
We are doing the very wee last bit of renovations to our property, the indoor/outdoor room and bathroom, once that is finished we can divide this room into two with the use of curtains ... here I will set up my massage table, I do relaxation massage and it will be nice to be able to offer this to our guests. Of course the prices here also reflect the prices here in Mexico, only 400/450 pesos for one hour. c :)

teeth_smile.gif

Jeanne
muirford said:
Jeanne
She must have meant the acrylic nail 'add ons'. What the heck is wrong with a nice manicure? Or is it the polish chipping off they're worried about?
It's not the polish, it's what is under the polish that cannot be seen (germs, grime, slime) that is the reason servers aren't supposed to wear it. CLEAR is usually ok.

teeth_smile.gif

Jeanne
muirford said:
Jeanne
It's not the polish, it's what is under the polish that cannot be seen (germs, grime, slime) that is the reason servers aren't supposed to wear it. CLEAR is usually ok.
Not under the polish but under the nails. Right?

teeth_smile.gif

Jeanne
muirford said:
Jeanne
No, they say no polish either. I don't remember what the verdict was about clear.
Jeanne

A mani/pedi was $68 not including tip. French style is $75. At the salon. They don't do acrylics.
The first time I went there (just for a haircut) I was stunned. I was going to have a haircut, color and eyebrow wax, something that had cost me $45 in VT. Here it was almost $100. Now, I know that's cheap elsewhere, but it's obviously 2x what I had paid 6 weeks prior and not including tip. If I wanted to go there tomorrow for those services the hair cut is $38+, the color is $78+ and the waxing is $15+.
If I went for the package (which includes makeup application) it's $185. I have no idea who goes there from this town! They passed out coupons for 'hotel guests' to get a facial for $75 ($20 off regular price).
When my bangs hit my eyes it is time for a "whack & a doo" and that has now gone up to $15. A perm is $40.

Yes, what the polish is hiding/covering up..
No, I think it is the polish chipping or holding germs. No jewelry other than wedding band, hair up or under a cap or hat. They had a better movie this time for the Food Handler's Card. Usually it was exciting enough to signal nap time. This time they had 2 very cute, informative, and entertaining films - one for in the dining room and one for in the kitchen.

No, I think it is the polish chipping or holding germs. No jewelry other than wedding band, hair up or under a cap or hat. They had a better movie this time for the Food Handler's Card. Usually it was exciting enough to signal nap time. This time they had 2 very cute, informative, and entertaining films - one for in the dining room and one for in the kitchen.
Not in this county - it was listeria time. Lots of close-ups of meat slicers and deli equipment. I am really glad I don't eat much lunchmeat.
Jeanne

Not in this county - it was listeria time. Lots of close-ups of meat slicers and deli equipment. I am really glad I don't eat much lunchmeat.
Jeanne
Ours used to be free. It was $5 per year for each of us this time.

teeth_smile.gif

Jeanne
Our health department has no problem with clear polish or like a French manicure. They are concerned about acrylic nails (not allowed) and the length of natural nails (long, where things can reside). You're supposed to wear closed toe shoes in the food prep area too. Of course, wearing sandals to greet guests is a different story and that's when a nice pedicure is essential :)

Back