Specials and Newsletters do work..

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egoodell

Reaction score
Just a note to tell you all that an associate of mine went to the Bavarian Inn in Shephard's Town (spelling of the town?) in West Virginia a couple of weeks ago for the day (about 2.5 hours drive) and ate at their buffet which they said was wonderful.
They signed up for the newsletter. She just told me that she received a newsletter showing that the inn was going to have a special on certain weeeknds, inviting them to come and stay a night for a discount. I can't recall but it was something like a regular priced room of $125 being offered for $95.
She booked and they are excited to stay at the inn and explore the town further for a night.
So...it does work!
RIki

I never had luck with sending newsletters until this year. I seem to have a core group of readers, tho, as the list has expanded about 150% in the past month and I still have the same raw number opening the newsletter, so my open rate has dropped quite a bit.
Tough part is, this core group would come here anyway. I need the 'not core' group to open the newsletter and read it!

The Bavarian Inn is a 72-room hotel, not a bed and breakfast. They do offer specials a lot - they depend on their restaurant for the main support of their business and often use packages of dining and rooms to fill both. They can afford to deep discount the rooms - they have a front desk and staff on all the time anyway. Not to say it's not a good business decision for them to do so - it obviously is - but they are in a little different positions than most B&Bs.

Have they LOOKED at the reviews on TA? Some very mixed reviews- many mixed reviews. CLICK HERE
I know another inn in Shepherdstown that is fantastic! I have stayed there twice. And they can walk to some great restaurants, shops and even a little movie theater.

Have they LOOKED at the reviews on TA? Some very mixed reviews- many mixed reviews. CLICK HERE
I know another inn in Shepherdstown that is fantastic! I have stayed there twice. And they can walk to some great restaurants, shops and even a little movie theater..
Interesting that the listing says this is a 'B&B' but it only lists hotels as what other people searched on. AND, I'm kind of surprised by the number of people who stated there are no other B&B's in that town when this place ISN'T a B&B and we all know there IS a reall B&B in town.

Question - Does charging for breakfast constitute a B&B?.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Question - Does charging for breakfast constitute a B&B?
No. Breakfast is included at a B&B. Another reason to be annoyed at the way they have their property listed. Because, looking at the photo, it COULD be a B&B.

Question - Does charging for breakfast constitute a B&B?.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
No. Breakfast is included at a B&B. Another reason to be annoyed at the way they have their property listed. Because, looking at the photo, it COULD be a B&B.
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
It states it is a B&B on Trip Advisor: (yet they charge for breakfast)
[COLOR= rgb(44, 44, 44)]Property Type: Bed and Breakfast Situated on a bluff overlooking the Potomac River in Historic Shepherdstown West Virginia on 11 acres. The Bavarian Inn is a AAA Four Diamond Award...[/COLOR]

Also says #2 of 3 Bed and Breakfasts for this town

Yeah, it's a little irritating that they are listed in the B&Bs when they are not really one. I think at one time it was more like a B&B, until they built another building with hotel-type rooms and a conference center. They often have a breakfast-included package for their rooms. The building pictured has the restaurant not the rooms.
They have been around for 25 years and advertise in the Washington Post, have billboards, pictures of dignitaries on the walls, and big signs everywhere. The other B&B in town has a teeny little sign hanging from the corner of the building since they are in the historic district. It's not too surprising that some people don't know about it - the Bavarian doesn't really advertise the other options!
If these folks were happy with the Sunday buffet there, they will likely be happy staying there. They are definitely popular with a lot of people. It's not to everyone's taste, though.

I know another inn in Shepherdstown that is fantastic! I have stayed there twice. And they can walk to some great restaurants, shops and even a little movie theater..
Yes Jeanie's place! I just had two different couples here for wine tours from there and they both said her place was gorgeous!
Riki

I also stayed at the real B&B in Shepherdstown - a beautiful, historic building and so convenient to activities downtown.

Re Shepherdstown, trust me to say that the ONLY true B & B is in the historic destrict and it is everything it is billed to be. In a word - EXCELLENT!!

Back