Specials for Valentines Day

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesandjill

Reaction score
What kind of specials do you guys do for Valentines Day?
I thought about offering breakfast in bed.
Wine with special wine glasses.
Thought about offering a Valentines Day dinner in room but do not know what i should make and what I should charge.
Thanks in advance.

Last year we just melted chocolate chips, dipped strawberries and clementines into it, and left them in the rooms with a vase with flowers and a note with a picture of the house. The guests ate the fruit and took the note and flowers home but left the vases behind so we can use them again this time. Quick, simple, elegant, and done!

Our first few years we did chocolates and flowers in the rooms. Severe weather caused lots of cancellations. I don't mind eating all the chocolate, but I'm not a fan of roses so they were a waste.
We used to have candles at breakfast. Now we have too many families with kids that come for the weekend.
We do try out new breakfasts. There is always a chocolate and bacon theme that weekend.
Carefully think thru the logistics of breakfast in bed - how many guests, how will you transport the food, what kind of mess will you deal with later on, single serving time or whenever?

Since it is not on a weekend this year you may not get guests on actual date but for the weekend. Maybe just a special romantic breakfast by candlelight. Then again it depends on who your guests are. Just offer say a romance package with candy, flowers and maybe a special cake for 2. I wouldn't go overboard. And unless you are prepared to run around like crazy and worry about getting breakfast delivered to all the rooms, I would forget the b in bed part.

We concentrate on making breakfast memorable. I cut strawberries with a heart shaped cookie cutter and they look great.
I also have an edible arrangement kit to make flower shaped fruit in a vase.
Pancakes will be chocolate chip or strawberry.
I'll sprinkle the buffet area with red and pink Hershey's Kisses and I'll have flowers on the tables and red placemats.

We concentrate on making breakfast memorable. I cut strawberries with a heart shaped cookie cutter and they look great.
I'll sprinkle the buffet area with red and pink Hershey's Kisses and I'll have flowers on the tables and red placemats..
Where did you get a kit for that? We've tried it with regular cookie cutters but it hasn't worked the way I want. I love the flower pineapple. We did lobster shaped watermelon in the summer.
We sprinkle conversation hearts on the table and I have little antique Valentines I put on the tables as well.
We also have special table cloths and napkins.
I've done heart shaped puffed pastry, too.
I got cheesy table decor at Christmas tree shops.
Heart shaped cookies for snack.
Heck, I guess we DO do something!

Id just be careful with the special glasses as they may think they come included in the package.
We do some chocolate related thing - but that's it. We do offer to help with restaurant reservations though they don't often take us up on it, leave it to last minute and end up cross

I do not expect any Valentine reservations - historical fact here.

jamesandjill said:
What kind of specials do you guys do for Valentines Day?
I thought about offering breakfast in bed.
Wine with special wine glasses.
Thought about offering a Valentines Day dinner in room but do not know what i should make and what I should charge.
Thanks in advance.
Be aware that if you advertise wine as part of the package, you might be deemed to be selling alcohol which is outside of your B&B license allowance.
We may supply wine or beer from time to time, but we don't advertise it and we don't include it as a given. It is always our treat, a hosted offer, hospitality, never part of the paid package.

I'll sprinkle the buffet area with red and pink Hershey's Kisses and I'll have flowers on the tables and red placemats..
Where did you get a kit for that? We've tried it with regular cookie cutters but it hasn't worked the way I want. I love the flower pineapple. We did lobster shaped watermelon in the summer.
We sprinkle conversation hearts on the table and I have little antique Valentines I put on the tables as well.
Morticia said:
I love your antique Valentines and candy hearts - it looks just right!
I think there are some cutters out there now specifically for bento boxes - search 'vegetable cutter shapes' on Amazon and you will see some choices.

Morticia said:
I love your antique Valentines and candy hearts - it looks just right!
I think there are some cutters out there now specifically for bento boxes - search 'vegetable cutter shapes' on Amazon and you will see some choices.
Bento boxes. Hmmm. How can I work that into breakfast in the off season!

The kit is at Vat19.com
It's called the DIY Fruit of the Bloom Flower Pot Fruit Vase Kit.
It's not as good as you get from edible arrangements, but every time I use it, it gets noticed.
I usually use the kit as is, and surround it with more flower shaped fruit on a platter so it's more the centerpiece and not so much the edible.

Since it is not on a weekend this year you may not get guests on actual date but for the weekend. Maybe just a special romantic breakfast by candlelight. Then again it depends on who your guests are. Just offer say a romance package with candy, flowers and maybe a special cake for 2. I wouldn't go overboard. And unless you are prepared to run around like crazy and worry about getting breakfast delivered to all the rooms, I would forget the b in bed part..
EmptyNest said:
Since it is not on a weekend this year you may not get guests on actual date but for the weekend. Maybe just a special romantic breakfast by candlelight. Then again it depends on who your guests are. Just offer say a romance package with candy, flowers and maybe a special cake for 2. I wouldn't go overboard. And unless you are prepared to run around like crazy and worry about getting breakfast delivered to all the rooms, I would forget the b in bed part.
Being that V-day is on a Tuesday you are correct. The weekend before is already booked solid. Tuesday has 3 bookings and they are all local. The weekend before we actually raised rates and lots of people are ordering flowers and romantic packages we offer. We love it when V-Day is on Wed. People celebrate the weekend before and after. Its great for extra income in the winter months!

Since it is not on a weekend this year you may not get guests on actual date but for the weekend. Maybe just a special romantic breakfast by candlelight. Then again it depends on who your guests are. Just offer say a romance package with candy, flowers and maybe a special cake for 2. I wouldn't go overboard. And unless you are prepared to run around like crazy and worry about getting breakfast delivered to all the rooms, I would forget the b in bed part..
EmptyNest said:
Being that V-day is on a Tuesday you are correct. The weekend before is already booked solid. Tuesday has 3 bookings and they are all local. The weekend before we actually raised rates and lots of people are ordering flowers and romantic packages we offer. We love it when V-Day is on Wed. People celebrate the weekend before and after. Its great for extra income in the winter months!
we are the same - means we get at least some the weekend before, some on the day and some the weekend after - makes a nice top up for Feb as its the quietest month here - though I ruddy hate it as its an absolute nightmare.
(1) everything valentines related goes up in price and man feels being ripped off
(2) tends to book smallest cheapest thing and feels ripped off - plus added bonus of MRS being super cross thinking he has cheaped out
(3) they then row entire time and we get slammed for it
we don't gouge for this but we are always treated like we are so can't win!

We give our guests a small bottle of sparkling cider or champagne, chocolate truffles, and chocolate covered strawberries. We also change our mantle decor.
IMG_2020_0.jpg

EmptyNest said:
we are the same - means we get at least some the weekend before, some on the day and some the weekend after - makes a nice top up for Feb as its the quietest month here - though I ruddy hate it as its an absolute nightmare.
(1) everything valentines related goes up in price and man feels being ripped off
(2) tends to book smallest cheapest thing and feels ripped off - plus added bonus of MRS being super cross thinking he has cheaped out
We don't change our rates, we don't require a 2 night min, and still we get the same thing - do you have a fireplace room with jetted tub for $50? Um, no. And on Thursday before the weekend? We probably don't have anything, even the detached bath.
I'm off to think about putting cookies in the room instead of chocolates.

The kit is at Vat19.com
It's called the DIY Fruit of the Bloom Flower Pot Fruit Vase Kit.
It's not as good as you get from edible arrangements, but every time I use it, it gets noticed.
I usually use the kit as is, and surround it with more flower shaped fruit on a platter so it's more the centerpiece and not so much the edible.
Per looking for it - This product is no longer available

EmptyNest said:
Jcam said:
We have often thought about holding 1 Honeymoon suite back when V-day hits on a Friday or Saturday. We turn away 100's of people. We thought about holding an auction for the last Honeymoon suite. There are guys out there that are so desperate because they didn't plan right. They would pay a ton of money for it. It's all about supply and demand. We only raise ours $10. Most people do not have a problem paying a little extra and expect to for holiday's. I know for holiday weekends staying on the beach is a lot more than staying on a non holiday weekend. It's all about supply and demand.

Free bottle of wine. Free so we don't run afoul of ABC law.
Free Sweets & Treats package
And we always have in room fresh cut flowers and offer breakfast in bed every weekend

Free bottle of wine. Free so we don't run afoul of ABC law.
Free Sweets & Treats package
And we always have in room fresh cut flowers and offer breakfast in bed every weekend.
If you don't have an ABC License and give away alcohol..you are opening yourself up to trouble and, what does your insurance have to say about that. Ours said NO ALCHOHOL!

Back