Spring Painting - Wall Colors

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimBoone

Reaction score
Okay, I don't claim to be the best at following advice, but I do like to know what my friends think, I don't always follow suggestions, but they often give me improved ideas.
Hope to paint the guest rooms between now and summer, a project that never got started last year, so what's your opinion on color?
Bright, bold, striking (gaudy?) or bland and neutral?
For many years our home and later the guest rooms were antique white, enough years that it became tiring. On my last repaint our three bedrooms went darker shades of red, green and blue and the sitting area a tan as that was as bold as DW would approve. Guest rooms are a pale green above a chair rail, light olive below the rail and an accent wall of barn red. Generally the colors work well and guests seem to like them, but I like to change things up and would like to have some variation between guest rooms.
You can laugh now or after it is done, but what are your thoughts?

Probably the same as last year! Keep the walls light neutrals and put the pop of color on the bed.
Light walls are fresh and open up the space.
Except for the one room with the navy blue accent wall and the one with the chocolate accent wall, all our rooms have light colors: yellow, green, gray. It opened them up quite a bit from the closed in feeling from the dark wallpaper.
I painted the living room in the inn the same color above and below the chair rail. In my living room I did two different colors. I like the solid better, but I may have chosen the wrong color combo.

We paint all rooms with the same colours and the same brand. We keep it in stock and we can touch up any time we want. Buy the one with the primer in it, easier to do a touch up that way. Just paint in the centre of the section and then feather it out to the ends.

Each room here is different but I can see Generic's plan as a wise one. We are going to be painting one of our rooms next week as soon as the guest leave on Monday. First we have to take everything out since we are doing a complete job from ceiling to floor. I asked my little nephews and niece for advice on what color we should paint it and I got back pink, blue, and green. My uncle's wife had put a glaze over the paint in many of the rooms which looked nice but was impossible to touch up, get a match, etc. Very nice touch but impractical in real life.

Each room here is different but I can see Generic's plan as a wise one. We are going to be painting one of our rooms next week as soon as the guest leave on Monday. First we have to take everything out since we are doing a complete job from ceiling to floor. I asked my little nephews and niece for advice on what color we should paint it and I got back pink, blue, and green. My uncle's wife had put a glaze over the paint in many of the rooms which looked nice but was impossible to touch up, get a match, etc. Very nice touch but impractical in real life..
Duff2014 said:
Each room here is different but I can see Generic's plan as a wise one.
Generic's plan is a good one that I've used for years, my color with our home and rental property and the first few paintings at the motel was Shell White from Glidden. As there was no Glidden store locally I eventually went with other shades of white until choosing our current greens five or six years ago. I don't want to be wasteful, but would to get away a little from the motel look of everything the same.
Duff2014 said:
My uncle's wife had put a glaze over the paint in many of the rooms which looked nice but was impossible to touch up, get a match, etc. Very nice touch but impractical in real life.
I'm sure it would be difficult to touch up, with a repaint probably depends on how much effort it takes to do vs the benefit to the guest or how much you like the look. A number of our bath walls are painted with fences and flowers, sky and clouds above guests enjoy them, but changing the background color generally means starting over, more work than just a normal paint job, but it is a fun touch.

Each room here is different but I can see Generic's plan as a wise one. We are going to be painting one of our rooms next week as soon as the guest leave on Monday. First we have to take everything out since we are doing a complete job from ceiling to floor. I asked my little nephews and niece for advice on what color we should paint it and I got back pink, blue, and green. My uncle's wife had put a glaze over the paint in many of the rooms which looked nice but was impossible to touch up, get a match, etc. Very nice touch but impractical in real life..
Duff2014 said:
Generic's plan is a good one that I've used for years, my color with our home and rental property and the first few paintings at the motel was Shell White from Glidden. As there was no Glidden store locally I eventually went with other shades of white until choosing our current greens five or six years ago. I don't want to be wasteful, but would to get away a little from the motel look of everything the same.
Duff2014 said:
My uncle's wife had put a glaze over the paint in many of the rooms which looked nice but was impossible to touch up, get a match, etc. Very nice touch but impractical in real life.
I'm sure it would be difficult to touch up, with a repaint probably depends on how much effort it takes to do vs the benefit to the guest or how much you like the look. A number of our bath walls are painted with fences and flowers, sky and clouds above guests enjoy them, but changing the background color generally means starting over, more work than just a normal paint job, but it is a fun touch.
How many rooms do you have? How about alternating the colors from room to room so if the doors are open guests see a range of colors?
If you prefer, keep an accent wall (generally the one behind the bed) and paint the other walls, in every room, the same color. That cuts down on the paint choices, but gives you a pop of color and a different look for each room. Or, every other room. Or, every third room.
Then the grandkids all get their choice.

Duff2014 said:
Duff2014 said:
How many rooms do you have? How about alternating the colors from room to room so if the doors are open guests see a range of colors?
If you prefer, keep an accent wall (generally the one behind the bed) and paint the other walls, in every room, the same color. That cuts down on the paint choices, but gives you a pop of color and a different look for each room. Or, every other room. Or, every third room.
Then the grandkids all get their choice.
We have 8 motel guest rooms of varying sizes, of course unlike most on the forum all rooms open to the outside porch. I guess most guests are going to be limited to seeing differences online although in the case of a walk in guest I'll show them more than one room.
Have 4 different base color spreads so plan is generally 2 rooms in each color theme, of our 8 rooms, 4 or them have 2 beds and will be mostly the same room other than the color difference

Back