Stealing coasters - a new thing?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Cleaning rooms today and 4 coasters are missing. You know, coasters? The things no one uses? Well, I buy them in sets to go in the rooms. Different scenes, patterns, etc. So, now I'm missing one from my lighthouse set (made by prisoners and purchased at the state prison store), two from my 'Paris' set (in a room with a Paris theme for the grand tour travels of the daughter of the house) and one from my 'red' theme. None of these are replaceable. I bought 'enough' 4-5 years ago but won't find them again.
This is the first time so many have gone missing at once. One couple is still here so hoping the coaster shows up in the morning when they leave. I noticed they also had our very nice, not to take away, tour guides in their suitcase.

Nope, not new. People collect them. They assume that they are intended to take.

Nope, not new. People collect them. They assume that they are intended to take..
I could see that if they had something memorable on them but not plain old coasters from a collection. And it's obviously they're a set. Not like collecting mugs where they're basically the same size and shape. Or pens. Or keycards like my grandson does.

They should know better in my opinion. I can't see assuming nice coasters are to take unless they are branded with your name ... An unfortunate cost of doing business unless you're going to add them to their bill like hotels do. But then you wonder if they carried them to another part of the inn.
Loved the prison store. I once spotted one of my half hull ship models from there that had been on the wall ... sitting in an open suitcase. I took it back and didn't rehang it until he left. Was all ready to say I assumed it fell if he asked about it but guest didn't mention it. No the $95 wall hanging is not your souvenir.

Nope, not new. People collect them. They assume that they are intended to take..
I could see that if they had something memorable on them but not plain old coasters from a collection. And it's obviously they're a set. Not like collecting mugs where they're basically the same size and shape. Or pens. Or keycards like my grandson does.
Unfortunately, people don't think.

How rude. It is not OK to steal things from our homes.
I've had several go missing that a guest gave me as a gift. The best was earlier in the year when an older guest walked up to my husband and had one of the ones from a guest room (they match the theme of the room) and handed him a dollar saying she wanted to buy the coaster. My husband told her they weren't for sale as he didn't think I'd be able to get another match. She handed it back to him and snatched the dollar back. I pay over $5 for them and probably won't be able to get matches again.

Buy them at a dollar store or wally world....they stay put.

long long ago when I was new to innkeeping someone said 'never put anything personal that you value into a guest room' or something like that. I had put a handmade afghan (a wedding gift) into a guestroom because the color matched perfectly. Then it went missing and I was so upset. Searched high and low and was facing the hard truth that it had gone away with a guest. I had 2 chambermaids and we were trying to figure out when it was last in the room. And then, a package in the mail, the afghan ... with a note that it was packed in the suitcase by mistake. Odd but ... okay! I immediately put it in my own room. phew.
Anyway... what's my point? Maybe that, yes, we do have to be prepared for the few who will take things home that they shouldn't. And dollar store coasters would still work as coasters. Would they be as attractive? No! So what are we prepared to lose? Still, how many guests did I stop in the parking lot who had my blueberry ceramic mugs in hand because they 'forgot' to leave them behind. I'd pour out their coffee into a take away cup right there in the parking lot and bring my mug inside. REFUSED to let those walk.
Remember when all the hotels had hideous bedspreads because who would want them?

long long ago when I was new to innkeeping someone said 'never put anything personal that you value into a guest room' or something like that. I had put a handmade afghan (a wedding gift) into a guestroom because the color matched perfectly. Then it went missing and I was so upset. Searched high and low and was facing the hard truth that it had gone away with a guest. I had 2 chambermaids and we were trying to figure out when it was last in the room. And then, a package in the mail, the afghan ... with a note that it was packed in the suitcase by mistake. Odd but ... okay! I immediately put it in my own room. phew.
Anyway... what's my point? Maybe that, yes, we do have to be prepared for the few who will take things home that they shouldn't. And dollar store coasters would still work as coasters. Would they be as attractive? No! So what are we prepared to lose? Still, how many guests did I stop in the parking lot who had my blueberry ceramic mugs in hand because they 'forgot' to leave them behind. I'd pour out their coffee into a take away cup right there in the parking lot and bring my mug inside. REFUSED to let those walk.
Remember when all the hotels had hideous bedspreads because who would want them?.
I guess it's because 4 of them walked this week.
I try to get them to match the room colors or themes. I have one room with a reproduction art work by a famous local painter. The coasters matched with the artwork.
I can't get those again.
And it's not that guests use them! But now the balance is off in the rooms.
Time to hit Home Goods again.

It's a thing around here to get the cardboard ones for events, for souvenirs. Folks distribute them to the bars and restaurants. One Inn I worked at had them in the rooms for glasses, and they were routinely missing after checkout. Maybe that's the way to go...
med_CATF%20coaster1.jpg

It's a thing around here to get the cardboard ones for events, for souvenirs. Folks distribute them to the bars and restaurants. One Inn I worked at had them in the rooms for glasses, and they were routinely missing after checkout. Maybe that's the way to go...
med_CATF%20coaster1.jpg
I'll check on that.

med_CATF%20coaster1.jpg
I'll check on that.
One inn ordered them from ForYourParty.com, but dnj also carries them, and 4imprint.com.

Buy them at a dollar store or wally world....they stay put..
Duff2014 said:
I bought 500 cork ones with my logo on them (similar to below). They cost pennies each and I expected people to take them as souvenirs, but almost nobody takes them. Too cheap to bother with, like the dollar store ones that stay put, but they look OK and serve the purpose.
Cork-Coasters-SZ76280.jpg

Duff2014 said:
I bought 500 cork ones with my logo on them (similar to below). They cost pennies each and I expected people to take them as souvenirs, but almost nobody takes them. Too cheap to bother with, like the dollar store ones that stay put, but they look OK and serve the purpose.

Where did you get those?

Duff2014 said:

Where did you get those?
watermark on the image looks like "sz-wholesale.com"

Duff2014 said:

Where did you get those?
I want to know too!

Duff2014 said:

Where did you get those?
Harborfields said:
Smartypants.

med_CATF%20coaster1.jpg
I'll check on that.
One inn ordered them from ForYourParty.com, but dnj also carries them, and 4imprint.com.
dnj?

med_CATF%20coaster1.jpg
I'll check on that.
dnj?
www.dnjspecialties.com

Latest posts

Back