Stories to iron by

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
Lots of ironing tomorrow (9 beds' worth) so I'm downloading books to listen to.
The Inimitable Jeeves is a good one.
Do you have any favorites for when you've got a less than thrilling task ahead?

I kind of love the Stephanie Plum books by Janet Evanovich as audiobooks - the reader is so good that I might not be able to read her books anymore, I love the voice. Same with the Lucas Davenport series by John Sandford. One of the first books I ever listened to on tape was The Silence of the Lambs read by Kathy Bates - she was wonderful for it.

I bring my iPad into the laundry room and set it up within my line of sight and watch netflix. Totally into Dr. Who right now, the one that started back up in 2005. Nice escapism.

Louise Penny has a series of murder mysteries that take place in Quebec, near the US border. Chief Inspector Gamache - Three Pines. Enough in the series that if you get hooked you'll run out of ironing before you run out of books. Two of the characters run a B&B and bistro.

Another one I found was the Daisy Dalrymple series. 20's flapper/magazine writer/mystery solver. It's probably better listened to than read. The characters are a bit too modern in their thinking, but the jargon is fun. I think there are quite a few.
Inspector Wexford - Ruth Rendell Or, basically anything she's written.
Then some humor - Sloane Crosley, David Rakoff, David Sedaris
Bridget Jones' Diary.
Nora Ephron's I Remember Nothing was really good; sad, too as she knew she was dying when she was writing it but she hadn't told anyone.
I'm big on the mysteries but I don't like really graphic stuff sneaking up on me. So Miss Marple is in but Kay Scarpetta is out. ;-)

What about Ngaio Marsh? If Agatha Christie is up your alley, I bet Dame Marsh is, too.

What about Ngaio Marsh? If Agatha Christie is up your alley, I bet Dame Marsh is, too..
happyjacks said:
What about Ngaio Marsh? If Agatha Christie is up your alley, I bet Dame Marsh is, too.
LOVE her. Especially Brer Fox. Roderick's a bit of a pill now and then. I do like how she pulls bits of theater into each story.
Also Josephine Tey. But she doesn't have many books.

I've been listening to the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. Each book is about 40 hours long so that gets me through a LOT of ironing and gardening.

Wow. What all gets ironed? Do most of the innmates iron bed linens? Sheets AND pillow cases?

Wow. What all gets ironed? Do most of the innmates iron bed linens? Sheets AND pillow cases?.
charlie may said:
Wow. What all gets ironed? Do most of the innmates iron bed linens? Sheets AND pillow cases?
All my 100% cotton sheets and pillowcases get awful creases. I iron all the pillowcases and the top edge and side edges of the sheets. It's why I prefer poly-cotton blends.
Oh, and tablecloths. I iron those, too.

What about Ngaio Marsh? If Agatha Christie is up your alley, I bet Dame Marsh is, too..
happyjacks said:
LOVE her. Especially Brer Fox. Roderick's a bit of a pill now and then. I do like how she pulls bits of theater into each story.
Madeleine said:
I haven't heard of her. Will have to look her up. Though to be honest, I don't read fiction very much anymore. Can't seem to get my head out of this world to get lost in a book the way I used to.

Wow. What all gets ironed? Do most of the innmates iron bed linens? Sheets AND pillow cases?.
I iron my pillowcases, a third of my flat sheets (the part that gets folded over), pillow shams and my duvet covers. I use a pressing board from Kalorik which gives me a 22" by 8" surface area. Once I get started, I get into the rhythm and I just press away!!

happyjacks said:
Madeleine said:
I haven't heard of her. Will have to look her up. Though to be honest, I don't read fiction very much anymore. Can't seem to get my head out of this world to get lost in a book the way I used to.
happyjacks said:
Madeleine said:
I think the most popular one is The Daughter of Time. The Singing Sands is also good. I guess there are more than I thought so I have to see if I can find them. A few other mystery authors have paid tribute to The Daughter of Time by having their detectives read the book while laid up in the hospital.

I can watch HGTV anytime.
But I don't do a ton of ironing. Curtains..
TheBeachHouse said:
Curtains.
Yeah, you don't want anymore bad reviews about your unironed curtains. ;-)
I just put the duvets on the beds. The covers are a little wrinkly and it bothers me. But not enough to take them all off and re-iron. Even to listen to my mystery story!

TheBeachHouse said:
Curtains.
I just put the duvets on the beds. The covers are a little wrinkly and it bothers me. But not enough to take them all off and re-iron. Even to listen to my mystery story!
Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Curtains.
Never say I'm not a learner! :)

im working through the Peter Robinson Inspector banks novels as I can listen when Im doing my embroidery. I am on Audible so get 1 a month for £7.99 plus they regularly do offers of 3 for £18

TheBeachHouse said:
Curtains.
You know that upset me too. But I now take my steamer and steam the wrinkles out . Then they are gone. I can turn around and leave the room. There !! wrinkles be gone
lightbulb.gif

Back