Strata or Quiche for 50?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
I'm hosting a brunch for about 50 people. Somehow I think it might be more since "Free Food' brings them in.
I was thinking of making large quiches ... but just saw a recipe for strata and it looks easier but similar.
Have you made or had strata? Comparable to quiche?
I will make the recipe as a test to see ... but since I've got to prepare and do ahead a lot and then transport it 40 minutes drive away - that's a consideration.
Thanks, Great Cooks!

Go strata: holds well, no soggy crust, much easier to make, and ... still looks good in the pan on a buffet line when it has been partially served.

Can you do the egg pie, as we call it, in muffin tins to make single servings? Easier to serve. No crust. So, I'm voting strata, made like crustless quiche. (Ducking now before generic gives me grief about 'crustless quiche'.)

Our go-to for large groups is a fritatta, which is essentially a quiche without the crust. We usually make a spinach one with Parmesan cheese and feta, a little onion and mushroom. Always good to have as it can stay warmed in oven for up to 90 minutes without loss of quality.

Go strata, cheaper too. Use the cheapest bread you can get, hard, soft, doesn't matter. Serves a lot. It will deflate when you take it out of the oven, but it's a hearty dish for a lot of people and no crusts.

Go strata: holds well, no soggy crust, much easier to make, and ... still looks good in the pan on a buffet line when it has been partially served..
I will be brave and chime in also. I go for crust-less I made 36 in an x-large muffin tins. They came out amazing. Decorated tops with fresh parsley and a small grape tomato on top. Sat them on a warming tray.well lined with foil ( sprayed foil with pam).
Oh yes I put them in the x large paper muffin cups.

Either one. Strata is more economical and can be fully assembled the day before and baked the day of. They are heartier and quicker to make and serve than quiches.
Quiches can be halfway assembled the day before (crust pre-baked, filling prepared etc.) and put together before baking.
I like quiches better because they are a bit more sophisticated on a plate. A small garnish and it's an elegant meal.
I have a really good quiches recipe if you are interested.

I'd do the strata. You can make a really elegant one with leeks and fontina cheese (for example) but avoid mushrooms, I find they turn the whole dish kind of dingy looking.

one week away from this brunch - it will either be 'crustless' quiche or strata in muffin size -- easier transport for me I think. I still plan to do a test bake but of course as things go, the ancient oven (60+ years old) developed some kind of problem and won't get hot so I'm waiting on an electrician as the ancient manual is not helping the house solve the problem. ha! thanks.

Latest posts

Back