Suggestions for a high fiber, low carb, low sugar breakfast?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like Muirford's suggestion of a berry fruitini and a veggie frittata or one of Gomez's spinach quiches with a meat side. Your lo-carb guest can pass on any baked good or toast.

I like Muirford's suggestion of a berry fruitini and a veggie frittata or one of Gomez's spinach quiches with a meat side. Your lo-carb guest can pass on any baked good or toast..
All good ideas but we won't be baking a whole pie/fritatta for one guest. If that is all they can eat, they may get it reheated for the whole time they are here. In season we really can't do 'to order' meals for one room. So, I'm hoping they get back to me on something that we can give them every day of the stay. If it's eggs a different way everyday that's easy. But nothing different from the oven every day.
And, like JB says, we'll find out when they get here that the person booking made a lot of assumptions about the needs of the person they booked for. Said person will probably adjust meds and enjoy vacation!

I like Muirford's suggestion of a berry fruitini and a veggie frittata or one of Gomez's spinach quiches with a meat side. Your lo-carb guest can pass on any baked good or toast..
All good ideas but we won't be baking a whole pie/fritatta for one guest. If that is all they can eat, they may get it reheated for the whole time they are here. In season we really can't do 'to order' meals for one room. So, I'm hoping they get back to me on something that we can give them every day of the stay. If it's eggs a different way everyday that's easy. But nothing different from the oven every day.
And, like JB says, we'll find out when they get here that the person booking made a lot of assumptions about the needs of the person they booked for. Said person will probably adjust meds and enjoy vacation!
How many days are they there? Spinach quiche for everybody, scrambled eggs with some thrown-in veggies just for them the second. Here's a list of the low-sugar fruits. I do cantalope slices fanned on a plate with raspberries at least once a week starting from now through fall - it's easy, two cantalopes feed 12 guests, and it looks different than the fruit cup I might do the second day. Poached peaches are easy, too - don't add any sugar to the poaching liquid, just lemon slices and some star anise or cinnamon sticks. A peach half on a plate with some greek yogurt, blueberries tossed on, maybe a honey drizzle for everyone else.
I have a guest who comes annually for the theater festival who was diagnosed about three years ago with diabetes. It kept her from the festival one year, but she didn't want to tell me about it because she didn't want me to have to do anything special for her. Her roommate that she attends with every year told me. Last year I did the poached peaches with a little agave on the side (better for diabetics) and made the french toast with unsweetened almond milk and left out the brown sugar on her portion. She hugged me on the way out, teary-eyed, that she was still able to enjoy the festival and not feel like she was putting me out or being singled out by her diet. She sent me a blank recipe book that year, with the nicest note.
If they tell you ahead of time, and you can manage it without making yourself crazy, why not? Except for the guest who informed an omelet was ok as long as it didn't have cheese after I had been told by her boyfriend that she was a vegan, I usually don't want to strangle them.

Do a batch of bran muffins ahead of time and throw them in the freezer. They can have them each day and/or whole grain toast, even if your other guests get something else. Any of your egg dishes (no crust), breakfast meats and fruit. All things you can do for everyone. Easy, simple, and you don't have to tear your hair out. If they want more fiber, let them get it the rest of the day, but you don't have to go to extremes.

I offered my guest, who asked for the same, a breakfast smoothie, which included fiber powder, strawberries, prunes, yogurt, flaxseed, ground almonds, orange juice and protein powder. She loved it.

How many days are they there? Spinach quiche for everybody, scrambled eggs with some thrown-in veggies just for them the second. Here's a list of the low-sugar fruits. I do cantalope slices fanned on a plate with raspberries at least once a week starting from now through fall - it's easy, two cantalopes feed 12 guests, and it looks different than the fruit cup I might do the second day. Poached peaches are easy, too - don't add any sugar to the poaching liquid, just lemon slices and some star anise or cinnamon sticks. A peach half on a plate with some greek yogurt, blueberries tossed on, maybe a honey drizzle for everyone else.
I have a guest who comes annually for the theater festival who was diagnosed about three years ago with diabetes. It kept her from the festival one year, but she didn't want to tell me about it because she didn't want me to have to do anything special for her. Her roommate that she attends with every year told me. Last year I did the poached peaches with a little agave on the side (better for diabetics) and made the french toast with unsweetened almond milk and left out the brown sugar on her portion. She hugged me on the way out, teary-eyed, that she was still able to enjoy the festival and not feel like she was putting me out or being singled out by her diet. She sent me a blank recipe book that year, with the nicest note.
If they tell you ahead of time, and you can manage it without making yourself crazy, why not? Except for the guest who informed an omelet was ok as long as it didn't have cheese after I had been told by her boyfriend that she was a vegan, I usually don't want to strangle them.
I like your suggestions. This is good advice and I agree that since the notice is in plenty of time, it wouldn't be too tough to accommodate this guest while still preparing something that all the other guests would like.

Do a batch of bran muffins ahead of time and throw them in the freezer. They can have them each day and/or whole grain toast, even if your other guests get something else. Any of your egg dishes (no crust), breakfast meats and fruit. All things you can do for everyone. Easy, simple, and you don't have to tear your hair out. If they want more fiber, let them get it the rest of the day, but you don't have to go to extremes..
Breakfast Diva said:
If they want more fiber, let them get it the rest of the day, but you don't have to go to extremes.
Thanks for that. Sometimes I get wound up and have to realize they WILL be eating other places during the day!

I offered my guest, who asked for the same, a breakfast smoothie, which included fiber powder, strawberries, prunes, yogurt, flaxseed, ground almonds, orange juice and protein powder. She loved it..
If they need that much fiber...set a bottle of metamucil at the table. That is their problem...not the innkeepers IMHO
embaressed_smile.gif

Back