Suggestions for handling the customer who is as pissy as the day is long?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I served beautiful fresh fruit parfaits for our fruit course this morning. As I was setting one down in front of Mrs. Snarky, she exclaims
'For someone as blond as you, you sure do try hard.'
337174.gif
428773.gif
The Farmers Daughter said:
I served beautiful fresh fruit parfaits for our fruit course this morning. As I was setting one down in front of Mrs. Snarky, she exclaims
337174.gif
428773.gif
I really don't get this at all. I simply would not put up with that. No way no how. I would ask them to leave. Are they the only guests at the table? I would have stopped right then and there and said "Would you care to repeat that?"

Hallelujah! They are gone ! I learned something today.
1) The husband had NO knowledge of the previous reservation/cancellation/voucher incident. She was trying to cover her
9529.gif
the whole time to keep it from him.
I only discovered this when he came to the office to pay.
2) Her anger and resentful behavor was most likely caused because she just "had to go away for these couple of days" and stressing out over how she was going to build on the desception. I was just the unlucky target of her stress.
This is only my theory and I could be wrong...but I don't think so.
kopfschuettel.gif

Good for you for taking the high road! Congratulations!
This was one ugly woman, and someone who acts like that most likely is like that a lot. A nice person can't keep up that kind of disrespect over a period of days.
You need to do something special for yourself now. You deserve it! Take a few hours off and pamper yourself.
GOOD JOB!!!!!

337174.gif
428773.gif
337174.gif
428773.gif
I really don't get this at all. I simply would not put up with that. No way no how. I would ask them to leave. Are they the only guests at the table? I would have stopped right then and there and said "Would you care to repeat that?"
Joe Bloggs said:
thumbs_up.gif

I'm sorry, but that is simply not acceptable no matter what the circumstances are with their feeling "forced" to take advantage of a courtesy voucher that isn't even an industry standard policy.
I don't care how much longer a guest has left on their stay, how thick my skin is, how well I've bonded with the other person in the party, that kind of hostility and abuse is grounds for expulsion from any kind of business.
McDonalds would back up their employee if such a venomous situation arose. Call in the manager or owner.
Considering this one and the other cases you've related where you got thrown under the bus by your employer, its time for you to do some soul searching about whether this particular employer has your best interests at heart.

I state in my policies that we are sorry but we cannot accommodate check-ins prior to 3:00. I hang a sign on the front door at 11M which is check-out time, along with a brochure holder that has some suggested things to see and do, including a trifold pamphlet that I made up that says "Grab some lunch?" and lists several places with addresses, phone#s and directions from our inn, for those who do arrive before 3:00. The sign on the door says "Hello! Sorry we missed you! We are busy preparing for our next arrivals and are currently closed. Check in is between 3-5PM. See you then!"
10fitch_FrontDoor.jpg
That is going the next step! Good job!!!
thumbs_up.gif

Quoted from another thread: This is what I will be doing when the PITA customer leaves:
173766.gif

So were you doing that as you watched the car roll out of the drive??? Or more like it I would have been
559_dancing.gif
moz-screenshot-9.jpg

Quoted from another thread: This is what I will be doing when the PITA customer leaves:
173766.gif

So were you doing that as you watched the car roll out of the drive??? Or more like it I would have been
559_dancing.gif
moz-screenshot-9.jpg
Copperhead said:
173766.gif

559_dancing.gif
moz-screenshot-9.jpg
If I wasn't so exhausted from all her negativity, I would throw a
545352.gif
545352.gif

This morning the wife is still as charming as a cold sore. I like to announce at the table what we are serving for breakfast. So I am standing there with a steaming basket of fresh blue berry scones and the table is in conversation. I wait and she turns to me and snaps ' Well? What do you want? Can't you see we are having a conversation?' I felt like dumping the basket over her badly dyed head....grrrrr..
Well? What do you want? Can't you see we are having a conversation?'
Proper response: "Well, aren't you the b-i-t-c-h-y rude one"
evil2.gif

Too bad you're not the owner, I would have thrown her out on her ear. That's just so wrong on so many levels. Hope she's on your PITA list for denial for future reservations.

FD:
DW and I have been reading in horror at what you've had to go through with this guest. Have you checked the room to make sure everything is there? I woudn't be surprised if she took some "parting gifts" ...

FD:
DW and I have been reading in horror at what you've had to go through with this guest. Have you checked the room to make sure everything is there? I woudn't be surprised if she took some "parting gifts" ....
Or left some. She could have TPed the room with all that extra toilet paper.
tounge_smile.gif

Miss Congeniality intercepted me this afternoon when i returned from grocery shopping. She approached my car and seeing the bags of groceries barks 'Got toilet tissue in there? We need more in our room!'.
My head is in the car pulling bags out and although I heard her, I didn't immediately respond. So she ups the volumn....
HELLOOOOOOOO? I'm talking to you!!!
Toilet tissue!...In our room.....Can you do that?
I wonder if a double roll of 2 ply will fit in that big mouth of hers. I can not wait til this woman leaves...counting down the minutes.....
Miss Congeniality intercepted me this afternoon when i returned from grocery shopping. She approached my car and seeing the bags of groceries barks 'Got toilet tissue in there? We need more in our room!'.
My head is in the car pulling bags out and although I heard her, I didn't immediately respond. So she ups the volumn....
I wonder if a double roll of 2 ply will fit in that big mouth of hers. I can not wait til this woman leaves...counting down the minutes....
Oh my!!! If I had been you with TP in tow, it would have taken all of my willpower NOT to toss one right at her. So sorry that you must deal with this BIT huh, I mean witch.
Copperhead said:
I wonder if a double roll of 2 ply will fit in that big mouth of hers. I can not wait til this woman leaves...counting down the minutes....
Oh my!!! If I had been you with TP in tow, it would have taken all of my willpower NOT to toss one right at her. So sorry that you must deal with this BIT huh, I mean witch.
It's ok...you can say it...she exemplifies the term in the truest sense.
I hope they leave before
716557.gif
At least you haven't lost your sence of humor yet... Oh, I would make sure there were a couple of extra TP rolls in her room as you know she must be full of it!
Copperhead said:
At least you haven't lost your sence of humor yet... Oh, I would make sure there were a couple of extra TP rolls in her room as you know she must be full of it!
She'd probably take the extra rolls home with her thinking if they were in her room they were hers to take
sad_smile.gif

GeorgiaGirl said:
Copperhead said:
She'd probably take the extra rolls home with her thinking if they were in her room they were hers to take
sad_smile.gif
And that is exactly what she did ....miserable old cow...the icing on the cake is that they left me with 2 full waste baskets of soiled adult diapers.
Ok.. buh-bye!

FD:
DW and I have been reading in horror at what you've had to go through with this guest. Have you checked the room to make sure everything is there? I woudn't be surprised if she took some "parting gifts" ....
Redbirds said:
FD:
DW and I have been reading in horror at what you've had to go through with this guest. Have you checked the room to make sure everything is there? I woudn't be surprised if she took some "parting gifts" ...
She took all the toilet paper and all the tissue boxes.
icon_rolleyes.gif

She left 2 waste baskets full of soiled
286777.gif
adult diapers.

FD:
Redbirds said:
FD:
icon_rolleyes.gif

286777.gif
adult diapers.
Redbirds said:
FD:
icon_rolleyes.gif

286777.gif
adult diapers.
WOW, that was a lot of "crap" for 1 day! Maybe she actually used all that toilet paper and that is why she was upset when she needed more...
confused_smile.gif

FD:
Redbirds said:
FD:
icon_rolleyes.gif

286777.gif
adult diapers.
Redbirds said:
FD:
icon_rolleyes.gif

286777.gif
adult diapers.
WOW, that was a lot of "crap" for 1 day! Maybe she actually used all that toilet paper and that is why she was upset when she needed more...
confused_smile.gif

GeorgiaGirl said:
Redbirds said:
FD:
icon_rolleyes.gif

286777.gif
adult diapers.
confused_smile.gif
Very possible....scary as it is. She was literally 'full of it'.

See why vouchers are a bad idea. You may THINK you're keeping a customer but you're gaining a PITA..
SweetiePie said:
See why vouchers are a bad idea. You may THINK you're keeping a customer but you're gaining a PITA.
In a case like this maybe they are, but we have dozens of examples of voucher guests who so greatly appreciated our offer in their time of need that they have been back multiple times since and are perfectly wonderful.
Real stuff does happen to guests and if our charges get piled on top of lost airfares, rental cars fees, maybe some performance tickets, etc.. thats a heavy load to absorb just because somebody got sick or an emergency came up.
I personally don't want the few guests a year who cancel at the last minute to lump us in with those unfeeling, unsymapthetic corporate entities who stuck it to them.
We have some regulars who cancelled last year at the last minute due to illness and they FedExed us their SF Opera tickets because they were unrefundable and nonexchangable. $180 per ticket with a $20 per ticket service charge. We loved it and the guest was all too happy to do it with no strings attached except for his gratitude in getting the voucher.
I think in a case like FD's where her employer is unwilling to handle difficult guests and force her hands on absorbing all the crap that gets thrown her way, the voucher system if abused is rife with peril.

See why vouchers are a bad idea. You may THINK you're keeping a customer but you're gaining a PITA..
SweetiePie said:
See why vouchers are a bad idea. You may THINK you're keeping a customer but you're gaining a PITA.
In a case like this maybe they are, but we have dozens of examples of voucher guests who so greatly appreciated our offer in their time of need that they have been back multiple times since and are perfectly wonderful.
Real stuff does happen to guests and if our charges get piled on top of lost airfares, rental cars fees, maybe some performance tickets, etc.. thats a heavy load to absorb just because somebody got sick or an emergency came up.
I personally don't want the few guests a year who cancel at the last minute to lump us in with those unfeeling, unsymapthetic corporate entities who stuck it to them.
We have some regulars who cancelled last year at the last minute due to illness and they FedExed us their SF Opera tickets because they were unrefundable and nonexchangable. $180 per ticket with a $20 per ticket service charge. We loved it and the guest was all too happy to do it with no strings attached except for his gratitude in getting the voucher.
I think in a case like FD's where her employer is unwilling to handle difficult guests and force her hands on absorbing all the crap that gets thrown her way, the voucher system if abused is rife with peril.
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
SweetiePie said:
They sent you their opera tickets?!?
wow.gif
WOW what a lovely gesture!

I wonder if a double roll of 2 ply will fit in that big mouth of hers. I can not wait til this woman leaves...counting down the minutes.....
Copperhead said:
I hope they leave before
716557.gif
Give me your number, I'd like to have a word with her...
devil_smile.gif

Is there an Innkeeper's mafia? We should start one! HA! She'll wake up with bananas all over her bed! With the tops cut off!

FD:
Redbirds said:
FD:
icon_rolleyes.gif

286777.gif
adult diapers.
Redbirds said:
FD:
icon_rolleyes.gif

286777.gif
adult diapers.
confused_smile.gif

GeorgiaGirl said:
Redbirds said:
FD:
icon_rolleyes.gif

286777.gif
adult diapers.
confused_smile.gif
Isn't it interesting when people who act like this actually have physical symptoms that reflect their inner self! Even their own bodies can't stand them!

Copperhead said:
I hope they leave before
716557.gif
devil_smile.gif

Is there an Innkeeper's mafia? We should start one! HA! She'll wake up with bananas all over her bed! With the tops cut off!
Willowpondgj said:
devil_smile.gif

bwahahahahahahaaaa!
Yes...lets.
248153.gif
The new PITA :
Professional Innkeepers Taking Aim.

FD:
Redbirds said:
FD:
icon_rolleyes.gif

286777.gif
adult diapers.
Redbirds said:
FD:
icon_rolleyes.gif

286777.gif
adult diapers.
confused_smile.gif

GeorgiaGirl said:
Redbirds said:
FD:
icon_rolleyes.gif

286777.gif
adult diapers.
confused_smile.gif
Isn't it interesting when people who act like this actually have physical symptoms that reflect their inner self! Even their own bodies can't stand them!
How do you know they belong to her? They could belong to the husband. Maybe that's why she has such a
potty-mouth.gif
personality? She might be tired of taking care of him.

Back