Tablecloths

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have solid colors, prints, one lacy one that was a Christmas present from a friend. Most have matching napkins although the napkins I use most have an embroidered monogram G done by a friend.
I change tablecloths for each meal (I have one communal table) but the last used remains on the table until the next meal (we do not use the dining room normally) unless messed up badly. I have had blueberry stains, blackberry or black raspberry jelly, and wine stains, lipstick on napkins... I have had to toss 2 or 3 napkins in 14 years, but only one tablecloth (due to fraying age). I use Murphy's oil soap on the stain, rub a bit, and toss in the wash with everything else. The tablecloths are a cotton/poly blend.
If I have a 2-night rez with a dinner, I use 3 tablecloths during that rez..
gillumhouse said:
Most have matching napkins although the napkins I use most have an embroidered monogram G done by a friend.
Ow! I hadn't even thought about napkins! But in for a penny, in for a pound. If I'm going to do the cloth tablecloths, chargers, knife rests, etc. (known as the whole gillumhouse treatment) I'll need matching napkins and cool napkin rings.
We've just not done enough fancy dining to know what to do. I have studying to do.
And, as I repeat often, I need to get out more!
I'm planning to remove the tablecloths after breakfast each day. Evening will be the more rustic pub atmosphere. I'm looking for tables that look old. I may have to beat them with chains a bit. I don't care if they have circles from glasses on them. Pubs are comfortable family places. That's why I like them so much. Well, that and the beer.
You just need to come experience the whole Gillum House treatment!
I have a drawer full of tablecloths so unless there is a stain that needs attened to immediately, I collect enough for a load and I line dry as much as possible. Whowever they are dried, I try to fold right away because I ONLY iron pillowcases and dresser scarves.
I have 3 sets of dishes and 3 patterns of silver so I can switch out. My charges are silver and gold in the plastic ones and the glass ones are red and were a gift of a very sweet innmate. The place settings make food taste better too (perseption). We use wine goblets for juice glasses, water goblets for water (although many guests use those for juice) and stemmed sherbets for fruit. I have an assortment of goblets and stemware in many colors to mix & match with my mood.
I hang my tablecloths and table runners on hangers. I learned that a long time ago from a friend of mine. :)

I have solid colors, prints, one lacy one that was a Christmas present from a friend. Most have matching napkins although the napkins I use most have an embroidered monogram G done by a friend.
I change tablecloths for each meal (I have one communal table) but the last used remains on the table until the next meal (we do not use the dining room normally) unless messed up badly. I have had blueberry stains, blackberry or black raspberry jelly, and wine stains, lipstick on napkins... I have had to toss 2 or 3 napkins in 14 years, but only one tablecloth (due to fraying age). I use Murphy's oil soap on the stain, rub a bit, and toss in the wash with everything else. The tablecloths are a cotton/poly blend.
gillumhouse said:
Most have matching napkins although the napkins I use most have an embroidered monogram G done by a friend.
Ow! I hadn't even thought about napkins! But in for a penny, in for a pound. If I'm going to do the cloth tablecloths, chargers, knife rests, etc. (known as the whole gillumhouse treatment) I'll need matching napkins and cool napkin rings.
We've just not done enough fancy dining to know what to do. I have studying to do.
I'm planning to remove the tablecloths after breakfast each day. Evening will be the more rustic pub atmosphere. I'm looking for tables that look old. I may have to beat them with chains a bit. I don't care if they have circles from glasses on them. Pubs are comfortable family places. That's why I like them so much. Well, that and the beer.
Arks, you can always seal your tables really well with polyurethane. :)
Samster said:
Yes, that's what I think I'll do. Buy some aged-looking ones, "age" them some more, then give several coats of polyurethane. That'll make good pub tables at night, ready for the spilled wine and beer, then I'll cover them each morning to give a classier look for breakfast.
We MUST use a tablecloth because our table was "pre-distressed". We bought it in the Sears Scratch & Dent room and then our 2-legged animals had at it for another 10 years or so before we came here.

I make my own tablecloths. I don't wash them everyday unless they have been severely stained. Getting them pretreated and in the wash quickly is important, tho. Mine are all patterned so I avoid the nasty grease and coffee stain problem. If you have enough backups, you can wash them everyday. I'm making another set today. By making my own I can get whatever seasonal colors and patterns I want..
I have made the table cloths for the smaller 2 person tables, which we do cover with quarter inch glass, with contoured edges. But for the big central table that will seat 8, we need table cloths at least 70 inches wide, the 60's usually available won't fit. 70" wide and 120" long fits. Please share where you find the best fabrics that are wide enough to fit 70". Thanks.
Again, check in Jo Ann's if that is available in your area. They are stocking 'quilt backing' fabrics that are generally double the width of the normal fabric. There are also furniture fabrics that are wider. You can custom order there as well.
Thanks!

I make my own tablecloths. I don't wash them everyday unless they have been severely stained. Getting them pretreated and in the wash quickly is important, tho. Mine are all patterned so I avoid the nasty grease and coffee stain problem. If you have enough backups, you can wash them everyday. I'm making another set today. By making my own I can get whatever seasonal colors and patterns I want..
I have made the table cloths for the smaller 2 person tables, which we do cover with quarter inch glass, with contoured edges. But for the big central table that will seat 8, we need table cloths at least 70 inches wide, the 60's usually available won't fit. 70" wide and 120" long fits. Please share where you find the best fabrics that are wide enough to fit 70". Thanks.
Again, check in Jo Ann's if that is available in your area. They are stocking 'quilt backing' fabrics that are generally double the width of the normal fabric. There are also furniture fabrics that are wider. You can custom order there as well.
Just GOOGLE...you can order on line. Here's one.
Thanks!

gillumhouse said:
Samster said:
Yes, that's what I think I'll do. Buy some aged-looking ones, "age" them some more, then give several coats of polyurethane. That'll make good pub tables at night, ready for the spilled wine and beer, then I'll cover them each morning to give a classier look for breakfast.
Arkansawyer said:
Samster said:
Oh boy. If you are doing pub tables that double as breakfast tables I am all over that. I want to change our tables to 'pub' tables by using that acrylic stuff (and if I could remember the name of it I would tell you) and embed stuff in it. Sea shells, bits of this and that and then skip the tablecloths altogether. We saw a bar done like that in Burlington, VT and it was great. They had just tossed odds and ends into the acrylic as it set up, covered with another layer and good to go. They had legos, Monopoly pieces, Scrabble tiles, coins, bits of colored glass, marbles, all sorts of stuff.

gillumhouse said:
Samster said:
Arkansawyer said:
Samster said:
Oh boy. If you are doing pub tables that double as breakfast tables I am all over that. I want to change our tables to 'pub' tables by using that acrylic stuff (and if I could remember the name of it I would tell you) and embed stuff in it. Sea shells, bits of this and that and then skip the tablecloths altogether. We saw a bar done like that in Burlington, VT and it was great. They had just tossed odds and ends into the acrylic as it set up, covered with another layer and good to go. They had legos, Monopoly pieces, Scrabble tiles, coins, bits of colored glass, marbles, all sorts of stuff.
We have a local place that built tables with recycled trim and old wood. They are kind of like a shadowbox but no interesting bits of anything. They would also work for what you're talking about and you could change them up. They have glass tops.

gillumhouse said:
Samster said:
Arkansawyer said:
Samster said:
We have a local place that built tables with recycled trim and old wood. They are kind of like a shadowbox but no interesting bits of anything. They would also work for what you're talking about and you could change them up. They have glass tops.
Yup, a shadowbox. We'd need to build up the edges with some really nice trim molding and then use that acrylic stuff.
I've also thought about copper sheathing. But it goes thru a stage where it is ugly with stains until it oxidizes enough.

Years ago, when I worked in a fine dining house, they used white stain release tables clothes. When a bit of wine was spilled, that spot was covered with one of the matching white napkins before the next diners were seated. If extensive spills or stains, the cloth was changed for the next diners.
Stain release is the key. I have a white cloth I use for our Thanksgiving buffet table, and have for the last 10 years. I also used it to cover our table for three years at the local farmers market. The minor grease stains just wash right out.
I've been thinking along your lines, only to have the table cloths for dinners, to dress things up a bit. We use silver and china at breakfast, with blue cloth napkins that are very close to the blue in the china. Not having the tablecloths at breakfast keeps things more casual. We could use all the same place settings for dinner, but the white cloth would makes things a little more special.
We have wood top tables, all with very similar darkish stain, and finished with polyurethane. Our 'newest' tables are the round oak ones from the seventies and eighties. They're being widely sold on craiglist and at seconds hand shops now, out of date and no one wants them. They fit perfectly with this 1890s house, and can be had inexpensively. Sometimes the sellers include the chairs, which are often better built than chairs, expecially restaurant chairs, that you can get now. Most of our dining room chairs are Fred Meyer classic look arrow back, Windsor type. You have to assemble them yourself, but that means you can use polyurathane glue and do it right. They've all held up nicely under moderate use. I bought soft vinyl covered leather look chair pads on line that can be wiped down after use.
Many of the online restaurant supply houses have various sizes of stain release table cloths, and round, square, oval etc.....most look to me to be cheaper to buy in stain release than finding the fabric and making it yourself.
Periodically I have to pretreat tougher grease stains, then soak our napkins in a hot olyclean solution before laundering. Our restaurant cloth napkins have held up for three years now, still looking pretty good. Will probably get another year out of them before downgrading them to household use.
Old English Scratch Cover makes many dings and scratches dissapear. You may not have to beat them all up with chains to make them match!
regular_smile.gif

No need to wash them daily unless they are white and get stained up.
We have a beautiful table underneath the table cloths, I have the vinyl lined one at the very bottom to protect the wood, then nicer seasonal on top of that, in fact I wrote on here stuff mart has some nice FALL colors for the table, which work year round for us here. :) All sizes, this is a 12 to 14 rectangle size. And it reaches over the ends AND Sides. I find some that don't reach the side well enough.

Back