Tell Me Again Why....?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've spent a lot of time staying in the homes of Swedish friends. They only put one sheet on the bed, a bottom sheet. On top they have a duvet inside a duvet cover, so the cover acts as a top sheet. On laundry day they wash the bottom sheet and the duvet cover. Being Swedes, they often also take down all the curtains from the windows and wash those too!
Adult Swedes generally know that in hotels in the rest of the world there are generally 2 sheets to sleep between, but I've had Swedish kids/teenagers who have never seen 2 sheets on a bed, so they pull back the blanket or bed spread and crawl in on top of the top sheet, thinking it's the only sheet..
Do you suppose Innkeepers there do it the same way? I can't imagine putting my comforters back in those duvet covers every single time I wash sheets. It takes me close to 30 minutes to get them in there so they look nice.
Practice and sheer repetition. Duvet covers washed after every guest. I press my shams, duvet covers and flat sheets on the part that folds over, about a third. I put blankets on as well when it gets cooler and they get washed every time. But the flat sheet folds over quite a bit on the blanket so you don't touch the fuzziness unless you try to because you want to. Everything looks so nice in white. It looks hygienic and it looks luxurious. That's why so many of the high end hotel chains have changed to white bedding. Everyone feels they sleep better. Actually, didn't someone post a link on this topic awhile back?

I've spent a lot of time staying in the homes of Swedish friends. They only put one sheet on the bed, a bottom sheet. On top they have a duvet inside a duvet cover, so the cover acts as a top sheet. On laundry day they wash the bottom sheet and the duvet cover. Being Swedes, they often also take down all the curtains from the windows and wash those too!
Adult Swedes generally know that in hotels in the rest of the world there are generally 2 sheets to sleep between, but I've had Swedish kids/teenagers who have never seen 2 sheets on a bed, so they pull back the blanket or bed spread and crawl in on top of the top sheet, thinking it's the only sheet..
Do you suppose Innkeepers there do it the same way? I can't imagine putting my comforters back in those duvet covers every single time I wash sheets. It takes me close to 30 minutes to get them in there so they look nice.
Practice and sheer repetition. Duvet covers washed after every guest. I press my shams, duvet covers and flat sheets on the part that folds over, about a third. I put blankets on as well when it gets cooler and they get washed every time. But the flat sheet folds over quite a bit on the blanket so you don't touch the fuzziness unless you try to because you want to. Everything looks so nice in white. It looks hygienic and it looks luxurious. That's why so many of the high end hotel chains have changed to white bedding. Everyone feels they sleep better. Actually, didn't someone post a link on this topic awhile back?
We have 9 beds. Just the thought of doing all that laundry after every check out is making me tired!

Yes, bottom sheet (fitted with elastic ) then duvet in a cover, both washed after every guest and in between for longer stays. Most people do this, especially the Innkeepers... You can change the sheet and duvet cover in minutes - practice - like Arks says.
Back say 40 years ago we too had blankets/sheets, but we switched over to duvets in a cover, to avoid touching the fuzzy blanket. Hate it when travelling when we find sheets and blankets on the bed. Afraid that in sleep or in the morning you may find your self touching the fuzy (not so clean) blanket.
So, we would NEVER sleep on top of a blanket. . No idea why your guests would do this........
And another reason to like duvets is... You never have to go with out a cover on you. Also women seem to be colder or to hot so you can adjust it by either giving them a lighter duvet or a heavier one There is no struggle over who gets the covers!. I have 3 sets of covers and pillow shams I rotate them. Yes I just found that trying to explain this system to my guest was hard . At times I felt like a broke record. Or I would find they had rolled one in to the corner of the wall. As they felt one would do them both....Man they are twin size. Two on one queen bed or King. After 7 years I gave up and went the North American way. But for my bed I stick to duvets. One for me one for hubby. No more nights waking up to no covers.

I'm at a hotel right now. Duvet on the bed. Absolutely no cover nor is there a top sheet. I'm checking the housekeeper's cart when I go out for breakfast.

I've traveled in Wales and where I stayed they had 2 sheets and a blanket like in America.
Some people sleep on a blanket in winter because it's warmer than a bottom sheet.
Only place I've traveled where they did it like the Swedes, where you sleep between a covered duvet and a bottom sheet, was China.
I wash my duvet covers after every guest. Takes me about 2 minutes to stuff the duvet back into the cover, and another 1 minute to get it looking smooth and nice. But I'm 6 feet tall and extremely strong ;-).
My duvet covers only come out for the cold months, since they cover heavy comforters. Other months, I have a lightweight matelasse cover that I can wash & dry quick. If I had to wash a duvet cover for every change over, I would slit my throat! It's the OCD thing...it will just never get in there the way I want it, and takes me forever.
I just finished sewing ties on the corners of the duvet and loops on the corners of the down comforters. Now I just tie the comforter onto the duvet and it stays put. It is so much easier to make a nice looking bed now that all the comforter is not migrating to one side of the cover.
Last fall when we traveled in Switzerland and northern Italy we often came across the bottom-sheet/individual-duvet combo. DH loved it because his size 14 feet were not hemmed in by a tightly tucked bottom sheet. If we had a lot of European guests it would make sense to convert the duvet/comforter as the main cover. But most of our guests during the cooler months are from the northeast so we just fold the comforter at the bottom of the bed, changing the duvet if it is used.

I'm at a hotel right now. Duvet on the bed. Absolutely no cover nor is there a top sheet. I'm checking the housekeeper's cart when I go out for breakfast..
Madeleine said:
I'm at a hotel right now. Duvet on the bed. Absolutely no cover nor is there a top sheet. I'm checking the housekeeper's cart when I go out for breakfast.
Where are you located?

I've traveled in Wales and where I stayed they had 2 sheets and a blanket like in America.
Some people sleep on a blanket in winter because it's warmer than a bottom sheet.
Only place I've traveled where they did it like the Swedes, where you sleep between a covered duvet and a bottom sheet, was China.
I wash my duvet covers after every guest. Takes me about 2 minutes to stuff the duvet back into the cover, and another 1 minute to get it looking smooth and nice. But I'm 6 feet tall and extremely strong ;-).
My duvet covers only come out for the cold months, since they cover heavy comforters. Other months, I have a lightweight matelasse cover that I can wash & dry quick. If I had to wash a duvet cover for every change over, I would slit my throat! It's the OCD thing...it will just never get in there the way I want it, and takes me forever.
I just finished sewing ties on the corners of the duvet and loops on the corners of the down comforters. Now I just tie the comforter onto the duvet and it stays put. It is so much easier to make a nice looking bed now that all the comforter is not migrating to one side of the cover.
Last fall when we traveled in Switzerland and northern Italy we often came across the bottom-sheet/individual-duvet combo. DH loved it because his size 14 feet were not hemmed in by a tightly tucked bottom sheet. If we had a lot of European guests it would make sense to convert the duvet/comforter as the main cover. But most of our guests during the cooler months are from the northeast so we just fold the comforter at the bottom of the bed, changing the duvet if it is used.
I like this idea! Something I'll have to do as I launder each one. Thanks.

We wash blankets periodically. We have back up quilts so that we can wash the quilts. But not after every guest.

Silverspoon said:
DH loved it because his size 14 feet were not hemmed in by a tightly tucked bottom sheet.
The first think my dad always did, when he got into a newly made bed, was to start kicking, to untuck the top sheet so he wasn't pinned to the bed!

I'm at a hotel right now. Duvet on the bed. Absolutely no cover nor is there a top sheet. I'm checking the housekeeper's cart when I go out for breakfast..
You mean the comforter does not have a duvet cover? Or do you mean that the comforter with duvet is the only "blanket" on the bed?

You mean the comforter does not have a duvet cover? Or do you mean that the comforter with duvet is the only "blanket" on the bed?
I always get a little confused reading discussions about "duvets" because I am not sure that everyone is always talking about exactly the same thing.
My understanding is that "duvet" and "comforter" are the same thing -- the insulation-filled layer, typically quilted and filled with goose down. One would pretty much always want a separate, removable, washable, fabric envelope over (around) their duvet or comforter. Again, my understanding is that this is called the "duvet cover" or "comforter cover" and is not the duvet itself.

DH cannot take the pressure of the tight as a drum bed. First thing we do away from home is untuck the bed. I do not tuck. I put the fitted sheet with top sheet turned down at least 4 inches over the blanket or quilt (summer a quilt is it) and in winter add a down-filled comforter in a duvet cover (I always thought THAT WAS the duvet). IF the sheet hangs down too far (where it would be a trip hazard), I hospital corner on the sides but not at the foot of the bed. Mainly I do it because I do not want things ripped by pulling out, tucking in will not catch on anything.

I always get a little confused reading discussions about "duvets" because I am not sure that everyone is always talking about exactly the same thing.
My understanding is that "duvet" and "comforter" are the same thing -- the insulation-filled layer, typically quilted and filled with goose down. One would pretty much always want a separate, removable, washable, fabric envelope over (around) their duvet or comforter. Again, my understanding is that this is called the "duvet cover" or "comforter cover" and is not the duvet itself.
Harborfields said:
down under they are called doona covers

Harborfields said:
Related, but not really the same thing.
A comforter is actually two piece of material (usually with a design) with synthetic fill that is quilted together. They are related to quilts. And often the quilting is down to hold down the layer of synthetic fill. Comforters are usually sold in sets with a skirt and pillow protectors as a "bed in a bag". Something we would find at WallyWorld.
A duvet is definitely thicker, but is usually filled with natural fill (down or silk) and is loosely quilted, generally square pockets (waffle box, it's called) of about 30cm and is usually totally white. They are also usually quite expensive. In our case our personal duvet is several hundred dollars when I can get a comforter for as little as $30. And a duvet is sold separately and often passed on from generation to generation. My mother has one from my grandparents from Europe (not white though) that is so filled that you could sleep outside under it in the dead of winter.
Just to give you an idea, when I go to the local Cost Club's website, a queen duvet in goose down is $350 and a queen comforter set (2 shams included) is $60. The cheapest down duvet is $170. It actually took WallyWorld about 5 years to understand the market around here and to start stocking duvet cover sets. Locals don't generally buy comforters, it's for our cousins to the south, too light.
Now, to be honest, I use comforters, not duvets for the guests because of allergies and ease to replace. And I honestly have some comforters inside of duvet covers. Again, I won't use feathers with the guests because of allergies. But my own bed... duvet. So wonderful in the winter.
PS: The quilting on duvets doesn't keep the fill from migrating, just within the box, so you do rotate a duvet to redistribute the fill from time to time.

Harborfields said:
A comforter is actually two piece of material (usually with a design) with synthetic fill that is quilted together. They are related to quilts. And often the quilting is down to hold down the layer of synthetic fill. Comforters are usually sold in sets with a skirt and pillow protectors as a "bed in a bag". Something we would find at WallyWorld.
A duvet is definitely thicker, but is usually filled with natural fill (down or silk) and is loosely quilted, generally square pockets (waffle box, it's called) of about 30cm and is usually totally white. They are also usually quite expensive. In our case our personal duvet is several hundred dollars when I can get a comforter for as little as $30. And a duvet is sold separately and often passed on from generation to generation. My mother has one from my grandparents from Europe (not white though) that is so filled that you could sleep outside under it in the dead of winter.
Just to give you an idea, when I go to the local Cost Club's website, a queen duvet in goose down is $350 and a queen comforter set (2 shams included) is $60. The cheapest down duvet is $170. It actually took WallyWorld about 5 years to understand the market around here and to start stocking duvet cover sets. Locals don't generally buy comforters, it's for our cousins to the south, too light.
Now, to be honest, I use comforters, not duvets for the guests because of allergies and ease to replace. And I honestly have some comforters inside of duvet covers. Again, I won't use feathers with the guests because of allergies. But my own bed... duvet. So wonderful in the winter.
PS: The quilting on duvets doesn't keep the fill from migrating, just within the box, so you do rotate a duvet to redistribute the fill from time to time.
Jon, what you are calling a duvet, we have called a comforter.... see "down comforters" at L L Bean, for example -- so in my experience at least the terms are synonymous.
I think the key point is that the duvet is the insulation layer, not the envelope cover, at least in the way I think of the term, where in some discussions it seems people are referring to the cover itself when using the term "duvet."

Harborfields said:
OK - I have duvets in 2 of my rooms and a comforter in my feather-free room (nut it was "on sale" for $70 a couple years ago.
In 2001 when we were out West as part of a WV delegation we stopped in a shop that had a king-size down-filled duvet (I now know the diff) for $100 and I bought it so I would not be fighting for covers in our queen bed. It was too heavy for Himself's foot so it went to the Gillum Room. IF/when I get the king bed for that room, I am all set. Woohoo.

Harborfields said:
Jon, what you are calling a duvet, we have called a comforter.... see "down comforters" at L L Bean, for example -- so in my experience at least the terms are synonymous.
I think the key point is that the duvet is the insulation layer, not the envelope cover, at least in the way I think of the term, where in some discussions it seems people are referring to the cover itself when using the term "duvet."
If my grandparents gave me a comforter as a family heirloom... it would be at the charity shop in 20 minutes. To us here, where we need warm covers, comforters in our minds are cheap pieces of ....

Harborfields said:
Harborfields said:
it is the same thing as someone using the term 'car' for an suv or truck, get in the car. it is a car, yes, duvet is generic, there are two pieces to it, the cover and the insert.

Harborfields said:
Harborfields said:
Yes, that is the correct terminology here. A duvet is to a duvet cover what a pillow is to a pillow case.

Madeleine said:
Where are you located?
BananaE29 said:
Madeleine said:
Where are you located?
In NY. And I looked over the housekeeping cart. Nary a duvet in sight. So they are not changing them out between guests. Ewwwww.

Back