Thanks for reminding me NEVER to do this again

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Draper

Reaction score
Last year, had an (I thought) elderly couple coming for 4 nights...their son/d-i-l had planned and payed for the trip for them. On their day of arrival the wife got violently ill in the airport and they ended up having to go back home. Their son called and apologized, he was so nice and I felt badly for them, so I STUPIDLY sent them a GC good for a whole year so they could try to rebook when she was feeling better.
They have been PITA since they got here earlier this week. I was prepared for elderly/needs some help...but they were not elderly/frail in the slightest. They have cleaned us out on creamer, Splenda/Equal and coffee all day every day (they fill giant 32 0z to go cups every morning, 2-3 times each!). They ring the front bell 3-4 times a day for info that we gave them at check-in and they could easily find themselves in the binder in their room. We have tried making dinner/tour arrangements for them and they keep dickering around, changing their minds and then getting frustrated with US when they can't get the exact time they finally decided on.
This morning was the last straw, thank goodness they leave today. She's beating on the kitchen door at 6:45 asking for towels (housekeeping never cleaned my room yesterday, they took the money I left but never cleaned it). Of course, we just get her new towels and apologize but then stand there scratching our heads because while certainly housekeeping oversights can happen in this very busy time, there is no way on earth that the two girls who cleaned together yesterday would walk into a room, grab the tip, and not clean that room. Just no way ever. DH finally figured it out, he saw the couple come back while he was checking someone in yesterday afternoon, and they left all dressed up to go to a local dinner theater. So he's figuring they showered in the afternoon (after housekeeping had cleaned their room at 11), and then expected someone to clean their room again after that??? Because of course they use a fresh clean towel EVERY time they shower at home, I'm sure.
Good bye, good riddance, no more ever trying to give someone a break...stick to the letter of the policy law each and every time. No good deed goes unpunished *head desk*.

Don Draper said:
...Because of course they use a fresh clean towel EVERY time they shower at home, I'm sure....
Where's GH when you need her? I've been chastised enough for believing in towel reuse, it's your turn.
(Sorry about the PITAs)

YeHaaaaaaaaaa (think Wicked Witch in Wizard of Oz) - she is here! Not chastising - just stating personal preference.
Sorry they were such PITAS. Taking all the creamers & Splenda is over the top.

Don Draper said:
...Because of course they use a fresh clean towel EVERY time they shower at home, I'm sure....
Where's GH when you need her? I've been chastised enough for believing in towel reuse, it's your turn.
(Sorry about the PITAs).
They just checked out...and they STILL tipped the housekeeper today! Now why would you do that if you were so unhappy after yesterday? I am so glad they are gone, there's nothing like being made to feel uncomfortable in your own house, I hate it.
BUH-BYE!

My mantra this year: policies are there for a reason
Now all I have to do is pay attention to myself!
Last week the nice man called who has a reservation and wanted to reschedule. Oops, sorry, we have a 10 day cancellation period. Told him I would open the room up (the only room left and he had reserved it 2 months ago) and if we were able to rent it, he wouldn't be responsible for both nights. I opened it up, but it didn't re-rent, so guess what? He called yesterday and they're able to make it after all! Surprise, surprise!!!!!
Yes indeed....policies are there for a reason.
poke.gif
(that's the smart me, poking the dumb me!)

OH, My. What is PITA. I think I can gleen it from your description - but - sigh - no good deed goes unpunished. You will get karma points - from - somewhere. It's wierd, but I think they actually showed up here today- 6/25. Or, their first cousins.
Ok. I get it. Here we go. The High Season - here in Puget Sound it starts after 7/4 and lasts through Oct 10.
I'm already fresh out of Customer Service energy...
Remedy: A very dry martini with friends...

OH, My. What is PITA. I think I can gleen it from your description - but - sigh - no good deed goes unpunished. You will get karma points - from - somewhere. It's wierd, but I think they actually showed up here today- 6/25. Or, their first cousins.
Ok. I get it. Here we go. The High Season - here in Puget Sound it starts after 7/4 and lasts through Oct 10.
Remedy: A very dry martini with friends....
Basil Fawlty said:
Yes, yes, and yes! I think I got coddled by the unbelievably sweet and self-sufficient guests we had all through the spring. We get into summer and *poof*, and the high maintenance ones get here at once, we're firing on all cylinders for weeks straight without a break, and sometimes something just snaps. These people caused me to snap yesterday. So I had a good scream/vent with DH and felt better.
We managed to sneak out for a very early dinner yesterday, and went to one of our favorite "touristy" restaurants, which we were able to get into because it wasn't even "dinner time" yet. I realized as I sat there sipping my wine that it was the first time I'd physically been out of our house in 5 days! Not even to grocery store, etc. YUCK! We both felt much better after, and were asleep by about 8:30 last night.

Basil Fawlty said:
Yes, yes, and yes! I think I got coddled by the unbelievably sweet and self-sufficient guests we had all through the spring. We get into summer and *poof*, and the high maintenance ones get here at once, we're firing on all cylinders for weeks straight without a break, and sometimes something just snaps. These people caused me to snap yesterday. So I had a good scream/vent with DH and felt better.
We managed to sneak out for a very early dinner yesterday, and went to one of our favorite "touristy" restaurants, which we were able to get into because it wasn't even "dinner time" yet. I realized as I sat there sipping my wine that it was the first time I'd physically been out of our house in 5 days! Not even to grocery store, etc. YUCK! We both felt much better after, and were asleep by about 8:30 last night.
Good for you DD for getting out for a little while. We got out for lunch yesterday and felt like regular people for a few hours! Hopefully we can all do this a little more often...the summer crazies are definitely here!

Basil Fawlty said:
Good for you DD for getting out for a little while. We got out for lunch yesterday and felt like regular people for a few hours! Hopefully we can all do this a little more often...the summer crazies are definitely here!
I am looking forward to a couple of days of wonderful repeat guests. Please let them still be wonderful! After that I can handle the nuts again.

And a lonnnng work/vacation starting in Aug., right?! If you were really asking what PITA stands for it is Pain in the "patooty"!

Back