Thanks for the Forum--I hope I belong!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, Bree...
Here's what we've gathered (keep in mind, this is based on one-sided information):
As caretakers, we are expected to feed and clean up after the 70 members (never at the same time--club sleeps 30) of the club as well as maintain the grounds which includes a marina and dry storage area. We are given living quarters and a pretty good salary, in addition to other opportunities to earn money (fish cleaning, boat cleaning, etc.). The only caveat is that while we keep the profits from food sales, we also have to pay for everything we cook.
We were told that the current caretakers do not feel they are making enough money from food sales. I believe, as well, that they maintain a home away from the area (as that is where they go on their day off).
We've been told that the current caretakers take a lot of cooking shortcuts, including buying prepared foods such as those with a lot of preservatives as well as pre-chopped onions, celery, and the like. This, we all know, will cut into profits. We make all of our food from scratch, so our food costs in our restaurant ran between 18 and 24%. And, as I previously mentioned, they don't take advantage of opportunities for fresh, local produce, which is, IMO, a sin.
It is also my opinion that they are probably getting burnt out. Two meals must be prepared every day--breakfast and dinner. Lately, one of the caretakers has been coming into the dining room and stating, "Y'all don't want breakfast, do you?" which we know is double-speak for "Please don't bother me for breakfast today."
The current caretakers are retired, so this is a later-in-life job for them. I don't know that that's a great fit. The club's location is prime hurricane territory, and securing the grounds, all the boats, then packing up your life and evacuating every year can take its toll. Especially in Katrina-weary Southern Louisiana. Almost four years later and most people still refer to it as "The Thing".
Again, this is one-sided info, but we've tried to look at all of the angles. I'm sure things will arise, should we get the position, that will make us wonder if we made the right decision. But going into it with an anti-Pollyanna attitude is the best we can do, if we're hell-bent on wanting and accepting the position.
We have a meeting with the board this evening. Yesterday, we had our background checks, urinalyses, and polygraphs (yes). So, we're either crazy/ignorant or right on target!.
Ethbay said:
But going into it with an anti-Pollyanna attitude is the best we can do, if we're hell-bent on wanting and accepting the position.
I agree completely!
Apologies to the regulars who've heard this story before, but I was very fortunate in that I never dreamed of running a B&B. The first innkeeper I ever talked to I called to ask about a contractor I'd met and happened to ask, "What's it like running a B&B?" Thank goodness she was honest! She said, "Brawn!" I said, "Excuse me?" She said, "Muscle! Long days and hard work!" and went on to elaborate just how long and how hard her days were (very on both). As I was looking for a home-based business where my kids could work hard, instead of turning me off it got me interested. Now that I'm in the throes of peak season... the job is certainly living up to it's billing. I'm averaging 16 hours a day this week. (But next week I'll go fishing!)
As long as you're not afraid of work, you'll do fine. Of course, I think that applies to pretty much any job, but especially to one where you have simply soooo much to do, and no one to make you get up and go do it.
I'm a great fan of work....even though I can be as lazy as the next person, I know it's good for me and good for my kids. It is the ingredient that is consistent in every success story I've ever read. In fact, if you've got time here's an incredibly interesting (but not short) video that a friend of mine posted on FB page about work:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-udsIV4Hmc
=)
Kk.
What a great video! Thanks for sharing it!
(Mike Rowe rocks!)
Ethbay said:
(Mike Rowe rocks!)
I am appalled by his commercial for Ford. I don't know why. I think I consider him to be 'above' pitchman status. I want him to be 'everyman' not 'Ford man'.
Bree said:
Ethbay said:
(Mike Rowe rocks!)
I am appalled by his commercial for Ford. I don't know why. I think I consider him to be 'above' pitchman status. I want him to be 'everyman' not 'Ford man'.
He did a commercial for Ford?
YellowSocks said:
Bree said:
Ethbay said:
(Mike Rowe rocks!)
He did a commercial for Ford?
I saw it for the first time either yesterday or the day before. You can't miss that voice (I LOVE his voice) and then there he was, driving a Ford.

Hi, Bree...
Here's what we've gathered (keep in mind, this is based on one-sided information):
As caretakers, we are expected to feed and clean up after the 70 members (never at the same time--club sleeps 30) of the club as well as maintain the grounds which includes a marina and dry storage area. We are given living quarters and a pretty good salary, in addition to other opportunities to earn money (fish cleaning, boat cleaning, etc.). The only caveat is that while we keep the profits from food sales, we also have to pay for everything we cook.
We were told that the current caretakers do not feel they are making enough money from food sales. I believe, as well, that they maintain a home away from the area (as that is where they go on their day off).
We've been told that the current caretakers take a lot of cooking shortcuts, including buying prepared foods such as those with a lot of preservatives as well as pre-chopped onions, celery, and the like. This, we all know, will cut into profits. We make all of our food from scratch, so our food costs in our restaurant ran between 18 and 24%. And, as I previously mentioned, they don't take advantage of opportunities for fresh, local produce, which is, IMO, a sin.
It is also my opinion that they are probably getting burnt out. Two meals must be prepared every day--breakfast and dinner. Lately, one of the caretakers has been coming into the dining room and stating, "Y'all don't want breakfast, do you?" which we know is double-speak for "Please don't bother me for breakfast today."
The current caretakers are retired, so this is a later-in-life job for them. I don't know that that's a great fit. The club's location is prime hurricane territory, and securing the grounds, all the boats, then packing up your life and evacuating every year can take its toll. Especially in Katrina-weary Southern Louisiana. Almost four years later and most people still refer to it as "The Thing".
Again, this is one-sided info, but we've tried to look at all of the angles. I'm sure things will arise, should we get the position, that will make us wonder if we made the right decision. But going into it with an anti-Pollyanna attitude is the best we can do, if we're hell-bent on wanting and accepting the position.
We have a meeting with the board this evening. Yesterday, we had our background checks, urinalyses, and polygraphs (yes). So, we're either crazy/ignorant or right on target!.
Ethbay said:
But going into it with an anti-Pollyanna attitude is the best we can do, if we're hell-bent on wanting and accepting the position.
I agree completely!
Apologies to the regulars who've heard this story before, but I was very fortunate in that I never dreamed of running a B&B. The first innkeeper I ever talked to I called to ask about a contractor I'd met and happened to ask, "What's it like running a B&B?" Thank goodness she was honest! She said, "Brawn!" I said, "Excuse me?" She said, "Muscle! Long days and hard work!" and went on to elaborate just how long and how hard her days were (very on both). As I was looking for a home-based business where my kids could work hard, instead of turning me off it got me interested. Now that I'm in the throes of peak season... the job is certainly living up to it's billing. I'm averaging 16 hours a day this week. (But next week I'll go fishing!)
As long as you're not afraid of work, you'll do fine. Of course, I think that applies to pretty much any job, but especially to one where you have simply soooo much to do, and no one to make you get up and go do it.
I'm a great fan of work....even though I can be as lazy as the next person, I know it's good for me and good for my kids. It is the ingredient that is consistent in every success story I've ever read. In fact, if you've got time here's an incredibly interesting (but not short) video that a friend of mine posted on FB page about work:
=)
Kk.
(Mike Rowe rocks!)
Ethbay said:
(Mike Rowe rocks!)
Bree said:
Ethbay said:
(Mike Rowe rocks!)
You must be kidding, he started out working on the shopping channel.

Hi, Bree...
Ethbay said:
I agree completely!
=)
Kk.
(Mike Rowe rocks!)
Ethbay said:
(Mike Rowe rocks!)
Bree said:
Ethbay said:
(Mike Rowe rocks!)
Joe Bloggs said:
Bree said:
Ethbay said:
(Mike Rowe rocks!)
I thought he started out as an opera singer!
OK, just went and read an online bio...got the QVC job while he was in the opera. That must have been a riot. Can you see hime selling stuff in his Dirty Jobs mode of speaking? Hee, hee.

Hi, Bree...
Ethbay said:
I agree completely!
=)
Kk.
(Mike Rowe rocks!)
Ethbay said:
(Mike Rowe rocks!)
Bree said:
Ethbay said:
(Mike Rowe rocks!)
Joe Bloggs said:
Bree said:
Ethbay said:
(Mike Rowe rocks!)
OK, just went and read an online bio...got the QVC job while he was in the opera. That must have been a riot. Can you see hime selling stuff in his Dirty Jobs mode of speaking? Hee, hee.
Bree said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Bree said:
Ethbay said:
(Mike Rowe rocks!)
I used to work with a gal who took her official vacation days around QVC special events. That is how I know about Mike, those were some of the days she took. I am sure he helped sell a few items. She would watch it for 24 hours solid. I have QVC and other shopping channels blocked on my tv so I don't have to waste time going past them all the time. Perhaps if he were still on there I would watch.
embaressed_smile.gif

Hi, Bree...
Ethbay said:
I agree completely!
=)
Kk.
(Mike Rowe rocks!)
Ethbay said:
(Mike Rowe rocks!)
Bree said:
Ethbay said:
(Mike Rowe rocks!)
Joe Bloggs said:
Bree said:
Ethbay said:
(Mike Rowe rocks!)
Bree said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Bree said:
Ethbay said:
(Mike Rowe rocks!)
I used to work with a gal who took her official vacation days around QVC special events. That is how I know about Mike, those were some of the days she took. I am sure he helped sell a few items. She would watch it for 24 hours solid. I have QVC and other shopping channels blocked on my tv so I don't have to waste time going past them all the time. Perhaps if he were still on there I would watch.
embaressed_smile.gif

Please explain how to block channels! There is a section of channels here that is all shopping. My fav channels are stuck right in the middle and the stupid clicker doesn't work from 'my' chair so it's a pain trying to weave around the shopping stuff to get to what I want.

All tv's are different, but if you look on the MENU feature you can blcok or skip channels. I went channel by channel and did this on our old cable setup, and now we have the digital box so I can do it right on the tv on one of the menus there. It is not a v chip or anything, just a simply "i don't want to see this channel it is pathetic."

All tv's are different, but if you look on the MENU feature you can blcok or skip channels. I went channel by channel and did this on our old cable setup, and now we have the digital box so I can do it right on the tv on one of the menus there. It is not a v chip or anything, just a simply "i don't want to see this channel it is pathetic.".
Joe Bloggs said:
It is not a v chip or anything, just a simply "i don't want to see this channel it is pathetic."
Poor hubs...if I blocked everything I think is pathetic, he'd have nothing to watch!

Back