The Art of Doing Nothing

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NYC Downtime Getaways - B&B for the Great American Idle[/h2]I live by a credo, a guiding principle, a commandment. Call it what you want, but it pretty much defines me and my life, and affects virtually everything I undertake to do, or plan to do. That guiding principle, which motors my moral compass, is that One should do nothing today cause you may not have the time to do it tomorrow. Or something like that.
Now it may sound cheesy (it is), but I’m not the kind of guy who will toil and sacrifice and save and end up with a huge 401k or a million dollar nest egg. In fact, I’m broke. But happy.
I spend what I earn, and only earn enough to let me stay alive. The rest of my time I spend doing nothing. So, my point with all this blather is to induce you to experiment with stepping off the rat race conveyor belt, at least long enough for you to enjoy a weekend or a week at a Bed & Breakfast doing nothing. Absolutely nothing.
garfield-mondays-suck-3701012.jpg
As Neil Genzlinger, New York Times, so eloquently puts it, a bed-and-breakfast or small inn is, to us, a well-appointed cave where we go with the goal of doing nothing. Not just a little bit of nothing between bursts of something. I’m talking about all nothing, all the time. Innkeepers know us. “It’s surprising how many we get,” said Al Granger, owner of the Glasbern Inn, a converted farm in Fogelsville, Pa. “A lot of people just come and vegetate.” Debrah Mosimann, who runs Swiss Woods in Lititz, Pa., with her husband, Werner, sees the phenomenon, too. “I have couples who will come park on the sofa, and that’s where you find them four hours later,” she said. It’s an art form, this aggressive inactivity, one that deserves a guide every bit as detailed as a Fodor’s or Bradt.
Before you tune out of this lazefest, Genzlinger does have some actually useful information which you might want to take note of. For novices, a good way to explore the art of doing nothing is to go someplace where there’s nothing to do. A bottle of your favorite libation is, of course, essential. Nothing else is. Be especially careful not to take any laptops, video games, iPhones, BlackBerrys, briefcases or co-workers. When you check in to your chosen B & B, you may find in your room a selection of pamphlets and magazines promoting local attractions. Burn these immediately…
He suggests a fine list of inns and B&B’s in and around New York for a do-nothing getaway. Let’s start with the
pix3.jpg
Ecce Bed & Breakfast, located at 19 Silverfish Road, Barryville, N.Y.; (845) 557-8562; nestled on the verdant green slopes rising up out of the mist of the Delaware River.
You’re a liar if you tell me you wouldn’t relish a weekend here doing nothing except lazing around, stuffing your face and just watching the river meander through the green countryside.
You can curl up in front of a warm fireplace, just hang around the deck hoping to spot a bald eagle, eat stuffed baked french toast with cream cheese and seasonal fruits, or just pretend to be dead on a hammock.
Other suggestions inclue the The Inn at Lake Joseph 162 Saint Joseph Road, Forestburgh, N.Y.; (845) 791-9506; River Run Bed & Breakfast 882 Main Street, Fleischmanns, N.Y.; 845-254-4884; Glasbern Country Inn 2141 Pack House Road, Fogelsville, Pa.; (610) 285-4723; Swiss Woods Bed & Breakfast 500 Blantz Road, Lititz, Pa.; (800) 594-8018;
It’s a great read. Do read the full article. It’s worth it. I promise you.
In fact, I think this could be a whole new travel sector. ‘Do-nothing vacations’. No cell phones, internet, business meetings, and no historical buildings, no tourist attractions, no surfing or skiing or mountain climbing or any shit like that. All you do, plain and simple, is make like Jughead or Garfield. End of the weekend, you emerge fully relaxed and totally stress free. Only one small problem - You want to continue doing nothing even after the vacation is over. Just a minor hitch….
from HERE http://cango.com/bed_breakfast

My do nothing vacation involves sand & ocean & walking. Is that too much effort? OK, I'll just drag the beach chair over here and sit. Even reading is too much effort.
There is such a horrible Puritan guilt about 'doing nothing' isn't there? Fly to Provence and do- nothing? Au contraire! You must see the sights. Really? I'd rather find a nice pension and eat all day long in cozy little cafes, drink wine, learn French (or not).
What we want here is a 'purposeless' vacation. The only 'purpose' to it is that you are not at work. We have forgotten how to 'vacation.' People actually fought (and some died) big corporations for time off for workers. And we have squandered that.

My do nothing vacation involves sand & ocean & walking. Is that too much effort? OK, I'll just drag the beach chair over here and sit. Even reading is too much effort.
There is such a horrible Puritan guilt about 'doing nothing' isn't there? Fly to Provence and do- nothing? Au contraire! You must see the sights. Really? I'd rather find a nice pension and eat all day long in cozy little cafes, drink wine, learn French (or not).
What we want here is a 'purposeless' vacation. The only 'purpose' to it is that you are not at work. We have forgotten how to 'vacation.' People actually fought (and some died) big corporations for time off for workers. And we have squandered that..
I cannot tell you how much I enjoyed sitting on my bed at a B&B recently and looking out a very large window over a field when the sun rose for the day pink on the horizon. The innkeepers mentioned closing the blinds or the morning sun will be in my face - I slept with them open both nights! I NEVER GET TO DO THAT! I watched hawks, rabbits darting across this field, it was really neat. I put my book down and just pondered the day. Very relaxing and enjoyable!
Bring on the nuttin'!

What we want here is a 'purposeless' vacation. The only 'purpose' to it is that you are not at work. We have forgotten how to 'vacation.' People actually fought (and some died) big corporations for time off for workers. And we have squandered that..
I cannot tell you how much I enjoyed sitting on my bed at a B&B recently and looking out a very large window over a field when the sun rose for the day pink on the horizon. The innkeepers mentioned closing the blinds or the morning sun will be in my face - I slept with them open both nights! I NEVER GET TO DO THAT! I watched hawks, rabbits darting across this field, it was really neat. I put my book down and just pondered the day. Very relaxing and enjoyable!
Bring on the nuttin'!
During ythe days of the 2-legged animals a relaxing get-away was to go to the State Park about 90 miles away (alone was wonderful but even OK with family). Once I got the camp set up, I was free until feeding time at the zoo. I could read, chat with other campers, watch clouds, etc. It was so long ago that I had forgotten what you were meaning. Today relaxing is just not being in the regular routine. Going anywhere with DH is more trouble than it is worth. Today I relax when I have a day of no meetings, no guests and spend the day in my cave (my office) in my jammies with little interruptions by DH.

Bring on the nuttin'!
During ythe days of the 2-legged animals a relaxing get-away was to go to the State Park about 90 miles away (alone was wonderful but even OK with family). Once I got the camp set up, I was free until feeding time at the zoo. I could read, chat with other campers, watch clouds, etc. It was so long ago that I had forgotten what you were meaning. Today relaxing is just not being in the regular routine. Going anywhere with DH is more trouble than it is worth. Today I relax when I have a day of no meetings, no guests and spend the day in my cave (my office) in my jammies with little interruptions by DH.
gillumhouse said:
Today I relax when I have a day of no meetings, no guests and spend the day in my cave (my office) in my jammies with little interruptions by DH.
That's exactly what I'm doing today! Still in jammies and hope to stay that way!!

Bring on the nuttin'!
gillumhouse said:
Today I relax when I have a day of no meetings, no guests and spend the day in my cave (my office) in my jammies with little interruptions by DH.
That's exactly what I'm doing today! Still in jammies and hope to stay that way!!
I am glad I am not the only one to do this. My husband thinks it is terrible for me to stay in my jammies past mid morning:-( Too bad..I do it anyway:)

Bring on the nuttin'!
gillumhouse said:
I am glad I am not the only one to do this. My husband thinks it is terrible for me to stay in my jammies past mid morning:-( Too bad..I do it anyway:)
catlady said:
Gomez used to wake me up at 7 AM and say, 'You staying in bed all day? Day's half gone!' It's a wonder he's lived this long.

Bring on the nuttin'!
gillumhouse said:
catlady said:
I'm lucky. When I feel guilty about it and tell DH that I think 2:00 is a reasonable time to be putting on real clothes, he usually tells me to forget about it. And with advice like that, why would I argue?

I wish I could just do nothing sometimes, even just once! I'm just too fidgety to do nothing. I've tried it when I'm out at anchor, just me and the boat - no guests - and I was extremely annoyed with the constant feeling that something wasn't getting done and how I was wasting time doing nothing, even if enjoying the ocean waters, passing marine life, or the sunset. I just always feel like I have to be working on something. Sometimes, I lay awake at night planning my next day's work, and then hop out of bed at the crack of dawn, often having a task or two done before I even have my first cup of coffee. I don't know how to relax, I guess.

I wish I could just do nothing sometimes, even just once! I'm just too fidgety to do nothing. I've tried it when I'm out at anchor, just me and the boat - no guests - and I was extremely annoyed with the constant feeling that something wasn't getting done and how I was wasting time doing nothing, even if enjoying the ocean waters, passing marine life, or the sunset. I just always feel like I have to be working on something. Sometimes, I lay awake at night planning my next day's work, and then hop out of bed at the crack of dawn, often having a task or two done before I even have my first cup of coffee. I don't know how to relax, I guess..
It's a discipline that must be developed!

I wish I could just do nothing sometimes, even just once! I'm just too fidgety to do nothing. I've tried it when I'm out at anchor, just me and the boat - no guests - and I was extremely annoyed with the constant feeling that something wasn't getting done and how I was wasting time doing nothing, even if enjoying the ocean waters, passing marine life, or the sunset. I just always feel like I have to be working on something. Sometimes, I lay awake at night planning my next day's work, and then hop out of bed at the crack of dawn, often having a task or two done before I even have my first cup of coffee. I don't know how to relax, I guess..
Look at it this way- people like you keep the world running while people like me goof off. And I thank you.

Doing nothing is great for about a day and a half, and then it gets boring.

NYC Downtime Getaways - B&B for the Great American Idle[/h2]I live by a credo, a guiding principle, a commandment. Call it what you want, but it pretty much defines me and my life, and affects virtually everything I undertake to do, or plan to do. That guiding principle, which motors my moral compass, is that One should do nothing today cause you may not have the time to do it tomorrow. Or something like that.
Now it may sound cheesy (it is), but I’m not the kind of guy who will toil and sacrifice and save and end up with a huge 401k or a million dollar nest egg. In fact, I’m broke. But happy.
I spend what I earn, and only earn enough to let me stay alive. The rest of my time I spend doing nothing. So, my point with all this blather is to induce you to experiment with stepping off the rat race conveyor belt, at least long enough for you to enjoy a weekend or a week at a Bed & Breakfast doing nothing. Absolutely nothing.
garfield-mondays-suck-3701012.jpg
As Neil Genzlinger, New York Times, so eloquently puts it, a bed-and-breakfast or small inn is, to us, a well-appointed cave where we go with the goal of doing nothing. Not just a little bit of nothing between bursts of something. I’m talking about all nothing, all the time. Innkeepers know us. “It’s surprising how many we get,” said Al Granger, owner of the Glasbern Inn, a converted farm in Fogelsville, Pa. “A lot of people just come and vegetate.” Debrah Mosimann, who runs Swiss Woods in Lititz, Pa., with her husband, Werner, sees the phenomenon, too. “I have couples who will come park on the sofa, and that’s where you find them four hours later,” she said. It’s an art form, this aggressive inactivity, one that deserves a guide every bit as detailed as a Fodor’s or Bradt.
Before you tune out of this lazefest, Genzlinger does have some actually useful information which you might want to take note of. For novices, a good way to explore the art of doing nothing is to go someplace where there’s nothing to do. A bottle of your favorite libation is, of course, essential. Nothing else is. Be especially careful not to take any laptops, video games, iPhones, BlackBerrys, briefcases or co-workers. When you check in to your chosen B & B, you may find in your room a selection of pamphlets and magazines promoting local attractions. Burn these immediately…
He suggests a fine list of inns and B&B’s in and around New York for a do-nothing getaway. Let’s start with the
pix3.jpg
Ecce Bed & Breakfast, located at 19 Silverfish Road, Barryville, N.Y.; (845) 557-8562; nestled on the verdant green slopes rising up out of the mist of the Delaware River.
You’re a liar if you tell me you wouldn’t relish a weekend here doing nothing except lazing around, stuffing your face and just watching the river meander through the green countryside.
You can curl up in front of a warm fireplace, just hang around the deck hoping to spot a bald eagle, eat stuffed baked french toast with cream cheese and seasonal fruits, or just pretend to be dead on a hammock.
Other suggestions inclue the The Inn at Lake Joseph 162 Saint Joseph Road, Forestburgh, N.Y.; (845) 791-9506; River Run Bed & Breakfast 882 Main Street, Fleischmanns, N.Y.; 845-254-4884; Glasbern Country Inn 2141 Pack House Road, Fogelsville, Pa.; (610) 285-4723; Swiss Woods Bed & Breakfast 500 Blantz Road, Lititz, Pa.; (800) 594-8018;
It’s a great read. Do read the full article. It’s worth it. I promise you.
In fact, I think this could be a whole new travel sector. ‘Do-nothing vacations’. No cell phones, internet, business meetings, and no historical buildings, no tourist attractions, no surfing or skiing or mountain climbing or any shit like that. All you do, plain and simple, is make like Jughead or Garfield. End of the weekend, you emerge fully relaxed and totally stress free. Only one small problem - You want to continue doing nothing even after the vacation is over. Just a minor hitch….
from HERE http://cango.com/bed_breakfast.
I would guess my do nothing days are right before I leave this earth. I still work full time and do the B&B cottages, which I enjoy . When I retire from full time work I'll just do the B&B Cottages.Which would be a slower lifestyle for me(at work today). I'am the only one on patrol today, shoveled the car out, ready to go but hope for no calls.
teeth_smile.gif
SNOW is 10" to 17" here and more coming. Guest in the Cottage have a big 4X4 truck and Inn suite cancelled. Later....Mary in Bridgewater.

Look at it this way- people like you keep the world running while people like me goof off. And I thank you.
Morticia said:
I humbly submit my thanks to your work ethic as well.
tounge_smile.gif

Back