The challenge...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have officially accepted your challenge! I wasn't sure if I would only because I am forever starting things I never finish. So I considered just doing it without committing to the challenge. But, here ya go - my commitment *whew* "Hi, My name is Dena and I'm commitment phobic"
I have started a blog and I'm learning how to do it as I go. I've only put two entries on there as introductions to some of the content I expect to include. I tend to be wordy when I write - I've edited the two posts down a little bit. Let me know what you think. I'd love some feedback & have come to trust y'all as being honest & fair
http://blueridgeinnbandb.blogspot.com/
Joey - I'd rather you wait until I post my first "thing to do" before you add it to Innteractive (unless you suggest otherwise)..
[h2]
Awshum Dena![/h2]
BTW In case anyone is interested, Feb is black history month, if there is something significant in your area re this. We have Booker T Washington Nat Monument here so I might try to squeeze that into Feb. (I know Gillum has a connection to that in WV as well). :)
PS Thanks for calling us professional. tee hee
Great Idea! We have a small black cemetery from the 1930s hidden in a neighborhood adjacent to downtown. I came upon it while walking one day. That will make the perfect post.

I have officially accepted your challenge! I wasn't sure if I would only because I am forever starting things I never finish. So I considered just doing it without committing to the challenge. But, here ya go - my commitment *whew* "Hi, My name is Dena and I'm commitment phobic"
I have started a blog and I'm learning how to do it as I go. I've only put two entries on there as introductions to some of the content I expect to include. I tend to be wordy when I write - I've edited the two posts down a little bit. Let me know what you think. I'd love some feedback & have come to trust y'all as being honest & fair
Joey - I'd rather you wait until I post my first "thing to do" before you add it to Innteractive (unless you suggest otherwise)..
First a big pat on the back, nothing like a lit match to get you fired up to start this! hehe
Yeah, thanks for the 'professional' status. Now a couple things to get you in the right direction, this from someone that needs direction as well, Make sure you have your blog identify with your b&b. More than the name, need complete info just like your website and yes include your website. Each post should also mention B&B name and website. A plug for every post.
Also make each photo be it's own minie ad by adding your B&B name & website. (something I keep forgetting) This way if someone reposts it, there is your ad being shared as well. I think it was JB who started a thread on this not long ago - spread the word every way you can.
And don't forget to share your posts on FB and all other social media...
Thanks Copperhead!
I thought about adding text & our website to the photos, but I wasn't on the computer that had the right software. I can always do that later. If I had done everything that crossed my mind, I'd be at it until midnight!
Good idea to put the Inn name & website on each post.
As far as adding more info about our Inn - I played with the "About Us" section and it wasn't working out as I thought it would. I was expecting a sidebar on the right with all our information, but it wasn't working. It's definitely a work in progress, so as soon as I figure that out I'll get it up there.
As for now, I have to do some paid work. My clients are bugging me (how dare they), so I must move on. I'll tweak it more later.

First a big pat on the back, nothing like a lit match to get you fired up to start this! hehe
Yeah, thanks for the 'professional' status. Now a couple things to get you in the right direction, this from someone that needs direction as well, Make sure you have your blog identify with your b&b. More than the name, need complete info just like your website and yes include your website. Each post should also mention B&B name and website. A plug for every post.
Also make each photo be it's own minie ad by adding your B&B name & website. (something I keep forgetting) This way if someone reposts it, there is your ad being shared as well. I think it was JB who started a thread on this not long ago - spread the word every way you can.
Thanks Copperhead!
I thought about adding text & our website to the photos, but I wasn't on the computer that had the right software. I can always do that later. If I had done everything that crossed my mind, I'd be at it until midnight!
As far as adding more info about our Inn - I played with the "About Us" section and it wasn't working out as I thought it would. I was expecting a sidebar on the right with all our information, but it wasn't working. It's definitely a work in progress, so as soon as I figure that out I'll get it up there.
As for now, I have to do some paid work. My clients are bugging me (how dare they), so I must move on. I'll tweak it more later.
You are all Professionals to me! I still feel like the awkward Intern who has to get everyone's coffee and take the meeting notes *lol*
Luv Y'all
heart.gif

Thanks Copperhead!
That blog template has the least additional space for other things, sidebar etc. That is the major drawback, I tried to fuss with it the other day and just left it. Other templates give you more area to add stuff on the side.

Thanks Copperhead!
That blog template has the least additional space for other things, sidebar etc. That is the major drawback, I tried to fuss with it the other day and just left it. Other templates give you more area to add stuff on the side.
Joey Bloggs said:
Yes, little did I know how important the template is as you get more and more into blogging! Some of the extra bells and whistles don't work with all templates i.e. pages (called pages on blogger, but they are tabs which help you create a folder of sorts for certain topics) I have just started using pages because of this challenge and it made sense for other topics as well. Now viewers can find previous posts about a topic by clicking the tab. But talking to other bloggers, found out that pages were not an option.

What I've discovered as I am putting this together is that a lot of interesting sites are clumped together in the same area so I am now creating 1/2 day and full day self-guided tours for the guests to take with them. So whether they are heading to the big city or taking a day hike up north or visiting covered bridges I have a list of things for them do, sites to visit, and places to eat along the way. This has been challenging but fun. How to blog about it is another thing. I'm not sure if I should list it as 100 things to do and see within 100 miles or to blog about the self-guided tours. Maybe I can do both.

What I've discovered as I am putting this together is that a lot of interesting sites are clumped together in the same area so I am now creating 1/2 day and full day self-guided tours for the guests to take with them. So whether they are heading to the big city or taking a day hike up north or visiting covered bridges I have a list of things for them do, sites to visit, and places to eat along the way. This has been challenging but fun. How to blog about it is another thing. I'm not sure if I should list it as 100 things to do and see within 100 miles or to blog about the self-guided tours. Maybe I can do both..
Country Girl said:
What I've discovered as I am putting this together is that a lot of interesting sites are clumped together in the same area so I am now creating 1/2 day and full day self-guided tours for the guests to take with them. So whether they are heading to the big city or taking a day hike up north or visiting covered bridges I have a list of things for them do, sites to visit, and places to eat along the way. This has been challenging but fun. How to blog about it is another thing. I'm not sure if I should list it as 100 things to do and see within 100 miles or to blog about the self-guided tours. Maybe I can do both.
Now that's cool!
I know what you mean about it, make them up a 2 or 3 day itinerary from your inn. But what do they want to see, mountains, lakes, museums, history... It is neat to see all there is to see and do, that is what I love.

What I've discovered as I am putting this together is that a lot of interesting sites are clumped together in the same area so I am now creating 1/2 day and full day self-guided tours for the guests to take with them. So whether they are heading to the big city or taking a day hike up north or visiting covered bridges I have a list of things for them do, sites to visit, and places to eat along the way. This has been challenging but fun. How to blog about it is another thing. I'm not sure if I should list it as 100 things to do and see within 100 miles or to blog about the self-guided tours. Maybe I can do both..
Our CC is so amazing & helpful! They have come up with quite a few "Self-Guided Tours" that you can download & print. They also offer them nicely printed in their office for visitors to take. I keep a stack of them at the Inn & hand them out depending on what the guest is looking for.
Here's a link for some ideas in case you need any. They really are invaluable and I'm thrilled to have it as a resource.
http://www.blueridgemountains.com/selfguidedtours.html

Our CC is so amazing & helpful! They have come up with quite a few "Self-Guided Tours" that you can download & print. They also offer them nicely printed in their office for visitors to take. I keep a stack of them at the Inn & hand them out depending on what the guest is looking for.
Here's a link for some ideas in case you need any. They really are invaluable and I'm thrilled to have it as a resource.
Oh, I do like those! Who knows how to make a map like that? Using Google maps isn't always easy as I found out trying to make a running map for someone.

Oh, I do like those! Who knows how to make a map like that? Using Google maps isn't always easy as I found out trying to make a running map for someone.
I just did a quick Goo gle search and found this: http://www.imapbuilder.com/
It says it's a free Windows download. I'm going to give it a try. I did a search for their company name just to see what came up & I found links to maps on some respectable websites that used the program.
UPDATE - It says there is a watermark unless you buy full product. I should have known...
(I would have deleted this msg if it'd let me)

I just did a quick Goo gle search and found this: http://www.imapbuilder.com/
It says it's a free Windows download. I'm going to give it a try. I did a search for their company name just to see what came up & I found links to maps on some respectable websites that used the program.
UPDATE - It says there is a watermark unless you buy full product. I should have known...
(I would have deleted this msg if it'd let me)
I did a floor plan like that once. Watermark unless you buy the program.

These are fantastic. Thank you for the link

These are fantastic. Thank you for the link

Oh, I would love to do something like that!

I am commenting on this thread, so it all flashes back to everyone. I just wanted to say that I took notice of the BWTS campaign on FB the last two days. Each one is a "something to see of significance" (my terminology) near one B&B.
Don't you love it that people watch what we do! We do have some great ideas, no don't we!?
heart.gif

https://www.facebook.com/BetterWayToStay
(The 2nd one is incorrect in the description however, and the inn should know this, but apparently doesn't, you cannot HUNT for these stones at the state park, it is 3 miles away on a different property).

I am commenting on this thread, so it all flashes back to everyone. I just wanted to say that I took notice of the BWTS campaign on FB the last two days. Each one is a "something to see of significance" (my terminology) near one B&B.
Don't you love it that people watch what we do! We do have some great ideas, no don't we!?
heart.gif

(The 2nd one is incorrect in the description however, and the inn should know this, but apparently doesn't, you cannot HUNT for these stones at the state park, it is 3 miles away on a different property)..
Joey Bloggs said:
heart.gif

(The 2nd one is incorrect in the description however, and the inn should know this, but apparently doesn't, you cannot HUNT for these stones at the state park, it is 3 miles away on a different property).
I've noticed the trend as well JB. They latched on because it IS a fabulous idea. Just like the idea of INNREWARDS.COM This forum (as is awesome and is because of great people here!!!

Back