The Proverbial Bed Sheet Dilemma

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all your comments. I like Bree's way of thinking, however, after being married for 39 years, I have been taught to know only four words to ensure a successful relationship, "Yes Dear" and I'm Sorry"! Ergo, Wife - 1, Husband - O. Every two days it is or three if they are staying only three nights
Like Bree many of our stays are becoming lengthier. In Aug we have a six, eight and nine night stay. We get lots of 3 & 4 day stays. Although we accept one night stays, for the most part they normally book for two or more. Being a small 2-bedroom B&B we really enjoy the lengthier stays, as you really get to know the folks and form a certain bond/friendship.
Cheers and thanks again for all the info.
Harry.
TuckedInntheHarbour said:
Thanks for all your comments. I like Bree's way of thinking, however, after being married for 39 years, I have been taught to know only four words to ensure a successful relationship, "Yes Dear" and I'm Sorry"! Ergo, Wife - 1, Husband - O. Every two days it is or three if they are staying only three nights
Like Bree many of our stays are becoming lengthier. In Aug we have a six, eight and nine night stay. We get lots of 3 & 4 day stays. Although we accept one night stays, for the most part they normally book for two or more. Being a small 2-bedroom B&B we really enjoy the lengthier stays, as you really get to know the folks and form a certain bond/friendship.
Harry
Good for you! I agree, there is a bond with folks when they are under your roof, especially for more than one night. That is the special bonus of innkeeping.

How about this? Who changes the sheets and washes the sheets and basically handles the details about the beds? That person should decide how often they want to do that job.
95% of our guests do not care a whit about us changing the sheets after 3 or 4 days and most don't care about 7 days (and the 7 day people will say, 'Don't bother about the sheets, we don't change them out that often at home'). If the sheets look ok, then compromise on changing out the pillow cases. You can also run a little brush across the sheets to get the crumbs out of the bed and tuck everything up tight again.
I say this because we've got 7 rooms and it's a damn lot of work to change out sheets on beds where guests are staying many nights. They have settled in, their stuff is everywhere, it's hard to even get the vacuum thru the rooms, much less get all the sheets & blankets, etc off the beds and redone.
I used to have a 2 day rule. After the first summer that went out the window. Too much laundry for one thing! Guests too settled in for another..
Bree said:
95% of our guests do not care a whit about us changing the sheets after 3 or 4 days and most don't care about 7 days (and the 7 day people will say, 'Don't bother about the sheets, we don't change them out that often at home'). If the sheets look ok, then compromise on changing out the pillow cases. You can also run a little brush across the sheets to get the crumbs out of the bed and tuck everything up tight again.
I say this because we've got 7 rooms and it's a damn lot of work to change out sheets on beds where guests are staying many nights. They have settled in, their stuff is everywhere, it's hard to even get the vacuum thru the rooms, much less get all the sheets & blankets, etc off the beds and redone.
I think any guest would appreciate clean fresh sheets. That is part of being a BnB. Not every day, that is wasteful and most guests understand that. This isn't home, they are paying to stay here. Just my opinion.

Harry.
Harry
You know, if I only had 2 rooms it wouldn't be a big deal. But even with a housekeeper, 7 strips in one day (11 beds total) gets to be old fast!
See, I figured it was how you describe it...she wants to do this and you don't really see the reason. Am I right? If so, you are not alone. Hubs doesn't 'get' some of the 'nice' things I want to do. I'll be stripping the entire bed of all linens and he'll say, 'What's wrong, did they spill something?' Uh, no, but these things have to washed once in awhile. Which is why I'm in charge of the cleaning sched.
"But even with a housekeeper, 7 strips in one day (11 beds total) gets to be old fast!"
Do the rising balances in your bank accounts get old real fast when you are that busy? I didn't think so......
I'm trying to goat you just a little to perhaps trigger a reminder of why we do this thing to begin with.
And I'm in total sync with you on how much effort it is to keep on top of stuff, but this many years into it and none of us have found that elusive magic wand to get it all done instantly and to a standard that clearly distinguishes us from your average hotel.
I personally don't find any of the physical duties of being an innkeeper troublesome or all that tiring, its the sociological and guest relations stuff that wears me out.
As sure as the sun comes up tomorrow, I know that we will NEVER get a bad review, complaint, etc. about uncleanliness, worn out anything, or a lackluster effort. That is our job at its most basic.
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
"But even with a housekeeper, 7 strips in one day (11 beds total) gets to be old fast!"
Do the rising balances in your bank accounts get old real fast when you are that busy? I didn't think so......
I'm trying to goat you just a little to perhaps trigger a reminder of why we do this thing to begin with.
And I'm in total sync with you on how much effort it is to keep on top of stuff, but this many years into it and none of us have found that elusive magic wand to get it all done instantly and to a standard that clearly distinguishes us from your average hotel.
I personally don't find any of the physical duties of being an innkeeper troublesome or all that tiring, its the sociological and guest relations stuff that wears me out.
As sure as the sun comes up tomorrow, I know that we will NEVER get a bad review, complaint, etc. about uncleanliness, worn out anything, or a lackluster effort. That is our job at its most basic.
Goad away. It makes for good conversation. It doesn't, however, change how I operate. Bank balances going up are wonderful, fresh sheets every 2nd or 3rd day do not make that happen HERE. It may be that many have guests who require the extra touches. That's not my crowd. For which I am eternally grateful.
BTW, the reason I am doing this is because it's a far sight better than running the diner hubs wanted. I'm not doing it because I like serving people. So, I have a different outlook on how to do things because my motives are not the same as a lot of innkeeper's.

Harry.
Harry
You know, if I only had 2 rooms it wouldn't be a big deal. But even with a housekeeper, 7 strips in one day (11 beds total) gets to be old fast!
See, I figured it was how you describe it...she wants to do this and you don't really see the reason. Am I right? If so, you are not alone. Hubs doesn't 'get' some of the 'nice' things I want to do. I'll be stripping the entire bed of all linens and he'll say, 'What's wrong, did they spill something?' Uh, no, but these things have to washed once in awhile. Which is why I'm in charge of the cleaning sched.
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Goad away. It makes for good conversation. It doesn't, however, change how I operate. Bank balances going up are wonderful, fresh sheets every 2nd or 3rd day do not make that happen HERE. It may be that many have guests who require the extra touches. That's not my crowd. For which I am eternally grateful.
BTW, the reason I am doing this is because it's a far sight better than running the diner hubs wanted. I'm not doing it because I like serving people. So, I have a different outlook on how to do things because my motives are not the same as a lot of innkeeper's.
Bree said:
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
We all do this profession for different reasons which need to be respected. Bree, if my memory serve me, aren't you the one that has a huge repeat business? If I'm correct, then you've obviously found what works for you and your area. It sounds like you're making your guests happy once they get to you.

Harry.
Harry
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
I started mine because I was told at every job I applied for - You are over-qualified." Yes, sooo? I needed employment so I started my own. We had no lodging facility in town. And now I am doing it because people pay me to come entertain me!

Harry.
Harry
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Bree said:
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
We all do this profession for different reasons which need to be respected. Bree, if my memory serve me, aren't you the one that has a huge repeat business? If I'm correct, then you've obviously found what works for you and your area. It sounds like you're making your guests happy once they get to you.
Yeah, we run around 35-40% repeats. Some months more, some less. I have to cheer a little when someone comes here who I think is just using this as a stopover place (albeit every year) and then I hear her in the dining room this morning asking other guests, 'Have you ever been here before? It's the only place we'll stay (in this town) now that they've (hubs & I) taken over.' I thanked her profusely for that comment as it always helps when a guest validates another guest's choice!

Harry.
Harry
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Bree said:
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Yeah, we run around 35-40% repeats. Some months more, some less. I have to cheer a little when someone comes here who I think is just using this as a stopover place (albeit every year) and then I hear her in the dining room this morning asking other guests, 'Have you ever been here before? It's the only place we'll stay (in this town) now that they've (hubs & I) taken over.' I thanked her profusely for that comment as it always helps when a guest validates another guest's choice!
It's the only place we'll stay (in this town) now that they've (hubs & I) taken over.'
THAT is choice! Congrats on being able to hear it. Too often good things are said and we do not hear it. My pet peeve is the people who stand around a coffin saying wonderful things about a person but they did not stop to say hello much less something good while they were alive to hear it. YEA! that you got to hear it!

standards shmandards ... i TOLD my stayover guests when i'd be changing the sheets. if they wanted them changed more or less frequently, i'd do what made them happy. some 'green' guests get very upset if you change the bed more often than they want you to. and i do mean upset!
if there was no guest preference, i went by my own schedule - if it was a particulary humid 'sticky' time, i'd change the sheets .... but we didn't have many of those sticky days! i used my own senses to decide. if the sheets seemed soiled, sticky, gritty, dirty, grubby, smelly, etc., i stripped the bed. if not, it was a tight remake with new pillow cases. and i defy you to check my newly made beds and tell me some should be changed .... (getting really feisty here)
i see absolutely nothing wrong with this approach. with guests writing comments in the guest book like 'immaculate place' and 'lovely fresh linens' and 'we felt totally pampered', i felt confident they were happy and i was doing it right.
and it DOES matter how much time you have, how much help you have, how many beds there are to freshen, how much else you have to do, and how 'green' you are trying to be. providing the great guest experience isn't just about changing sheets!
we could debate this forever ............
standards shmandards ...
I agree with you. The same thing goes for ironing sheets and many of the other things some innkeepers do. I sincerely feel that as an innkeeper, if it makes you feel you are giving a better experience to the guest - DO IT and be happy you are doing it. If it makes you feel superior to other innkeepers to do something - then DO IT.
There are many of us who are happy doing what we do. I will NOT iron sheets (they are welcome to go to the Greenbrier for ironed sheets) and I am not about to work myself to a frazzle to make everything perfect (see I am handing the superiority over on a silver platter - and this is not directed at anyone, period) because neither I nor my house is perfect.
I reserve my standards for the food that goes on the table and the coffee in the cup. If I have served a feast for the eyes as well as for the stomach, if I have slipped in another area it is likely to be forgotten.
gillumhouse said:
standards shmandards ...
I agree with you. The same thing goes for ironing sheets and many of the other things some innkeepers do. I sincerely feel that as an innkeeper, if it makes you feel you are giving a better experience to the guest - DO IT and be happy you are doing it. If it makes you feel superior to other innkeepers to do something - then DO IT.
There are many of us who are happy doing what we do. I will NOT iron sheets (they are welcome to go to the Greenbrier for ironed sheets) and I am not about to work myself to a frazzle to make everything perfect (see I am handing the superiority over on a silver platter - and this is not directed at anyone, period) because neither I nor my house is perfect.
I reserve my standards for the food that goes on the table and the coffee in the cup. If I have served a feast for the eyes as well as for the stomach, if I have slipped in another area it is likely to be forgotten.
I'm not quite sure I can follow the "superiority" train of thought, but everything else you've stated is very right on. I'm not really getting that from anybody else or that anyone is being put down for their approach, but been too busy the last few days to really read into anything being posted.
Here, we've developed a set of standards that we feel help deliver a consistently good quality experience for our guests.
Everything included in those standards are of our doing and make us happy and proud about the "product" we're offering.
This isn't directed at you at all but its kind of hard to believe that anyone could make an argument against any or all innkeepers striving to offer the best they can each and every day.
Ten guests this morning, all with previous B&B stays under their belts, all having decided to stay here based on TA reviews they read, all ten offering that this was the best breakfast they had ever had at a B&B, and that the reviews were all understated to the quality of the experience they just had.
Needless to say, we're both walking a lighter in our shoes as we turn the entire house.

OK, I know what assume does, however I assumed the change the sheets with a change of guests was an industry standard for B & B since we are not the "no-tell".

How about this? Who changes the sheets and washes the sheets and basically handles the details about the beds? That person should decide how often they want to do that job.
I used to have a 2 day rule. After the first summer that went out the window. Too much laundry for one thing! Guests too settled in for another..
I am impressed. We rarely get a 3 or 4 night. Mostly 2-nights.
Ditto.

Back