The Room Is....

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
why dont you just write a good review and be done with it. why are you worrying about all of this, do the right thing, take the high road lad..
Isn't the point that if I say something, they don't get to abuse the next person? Isn't that the point of the feedback system?
On the other hand, we have learnt something... we can't sell a two-tiered product. So everyone gets the exact same product, no matter what.
I don't agree you cannot have a two-tiered product. A lot of businesses have a good-better-best option. For example, a bargain basement in an upscale store.
The critical thing is how you present and control it.

Well, this experience is a complete failure. This afternoon I am moving to parity for my Air offering and including full housekeeping and full breakfast. The guest we had today abused the breakfast privileges and MoH can't manage to say "no". So the only way to handle this is in future to offer the full offering or no breakfast at all. I don't want to compete at the bottom, so I gotta just offer the same thing and those who want it, book it. The part that bugs me is that I wish there was a way to pay Air's commission instead of the client and have better control over the total price for parity.
Anyway, this afternoon I'm changing it. And if I don't get any bookings, that's fine too..
Charlie I think this will work for you. It has for us, and in a big way. Think of Air is simply getting more eyeballs to your property. A lot more eyeballs. We make it clear we're a Trafitional B&B. All the Air people who stayed with us this past summer were happy about that - from the first time B&B stayers who may not have tried B&Bs without first taking the plunge on Air to the vacationers who returned a week and a half later gushing about the professionalism.
The low ballers won't choose you. You don't want them anyway. But a LOT more eyeballs will see your listing. The discerning ones will likely chose you.
At the end of the season 53% of total bookings came from Air. Now that does include the long term stays at the beginning of the year.
my biggest takeaway from this year?
I need to do a price increase. The Air people didn't bat an eye about the higher price they paid by booking that way.
Okay, let's try this again... I hardly show up on Air... I compete with over well 2000 illegal under the table listings for my city. I don't think I will sell even a single room on Air. Honestly. I'm not in a small town... I'm in a city of over 3 million people.

I get most of my customers from those who want full service. Air isn't offering full service, it's offering the dog's bed and towel or full apartments. I'm neither.
Charlie said:
I get most of my customers from those who want full service. Air isn't offering full service, it's offering the dog's bed and towel or full apartments. I'm neither.
I disagree with that thinking. That's what we want to think because we're upset about the illegals. But it's just not true. I've had professionals booking us through air. I have our cheapest & most expensive rooms on our listing and at the same price as our website. The general public isn't searching on air because it's the cheapest way to get a room. I think I'm going to add our other 2 rooms on air for the slow season and see what happens. Sure there are cheaper places around me, and let them rent those if they want. They are not the people I'm looking for. Treat air as just another directory and on your listing, play up the fact that you're legal and offer things that other places don't. The plus is, that air is free! If you get reservations, it's a very minimal commission and if you don't, we'll you haven't paid a dime to be listed.

Well, this experience is a complete failure. This afternoon I am moving to parity for my Air offering and including full housekeeping and full breakfast. The guest we had today abused the breakfast privileges and MoH can't manage to say "no". So the only way to handle this is in future to offer the full offering or no breakfast at all. I don't want to compete at the bottom, so I gotta just offer the same thing and those who want it, book it. The part that bugs me is that I wish there was a way to pay Air's commission instead of the client and have better control over the total price for parity.
Anyway, this afternoon I'm changing it. And if I don't get any bookings, that's fine too..
Charlie I think this will work for you. It has for us, and in a big way. Think of Air is simply getting more eyeballs to your property. A lot more eyeballs. We make it clear we're a Trafitional B&B. All the Air people who stayed with us this past summer were happy about that - from the first time B&B stayers who may not have tried B&Bs without first taking the plunge on Air to the vacationers who returned a week and a half later gushing about the professionalism.
The low ballers won't choose you. You don't want them anyway. But a LOT more eyeballs will see your listing. The discerning ones will likely chose you.
At the end of the season 53% of total bookings came from Air. Now that does include the long term stays at the beginning of the year.
I need to do a price increase. The Air people didn't bat an eye about the higher price they paid by booking that way.
Okay, let's try this again... I hardly show up on Air... I compete with over well 2000 illegal under the table listings for my city. I don't think I will sell even a single room on Air. Honestly. I'm not in a small town... I'm in a city of over 3 million people.

Charlie said:
I disagree with that thinking. That's what we want to think because we're upset about the illegals. But it's just not true. I've had professionals booking us through air. I have our cheapest & most expensive rooms on our listing and at the same price as our website. The general public isn't searching on air because it's the cheapest way to get a room. I think I'm going to add our other 2 rooms on air for the slow season and see what happens. Sure there are cheaper places around me, and let them rent those if they want. They are not the people I'm looking for. Treat air as just another directory and on your listing, play up the fact that you're legal and offer things that other places don't. The plus is, that air is free! If you get reservations, it's a very minimal commission and if you don't, we'll you haven't paid a dime to be listed.
Breakfast Diva said:
it's just not true. I've had professionals booking us through air. I have our cheapest & most expensive rooms on our listing and at the same price as our website. The general public isn't searching on air because it's the cheapest way to get a room. I think I'm going to add our other 2 rooms on air for the slow season and see what happens. Sure there are cheaper places around me, and let them rent those if they want.
Makes sense. People might think Air is for the cheapest. But pretty much every OTA, comparison site can have the same argument. When those people can do a triva go on available inventory, I doubt people are any less aggressive in getting the most for the least.

Charlie said:
Well, that's what I'm going to do. I'm going to offer the exact same product on Air and those who want a full service B&B can get me there. And if they don't, well, let fine. But I can't feel like I was just kicked in the **** because they violated their side of the agreement by playing games, trying to get a bigger room, taking items that aren't included for breakfast, and asking the housekeeper to skip a room....

Yes Anon! We have the same experience. We put two rooms up on air last fall to see what would happen. Now we have four of the rooms and the apartment on air. Most everyone is happy since they get more than they were expecting so the five star reviews pour in and we get an announcement about how we are close to this award or that one and then we get a guest who mark down four star on everything! Blah! Thanks a lot! The better your reviews the better you will be seen, so raise the bar and wow your air guests!
Get some guest with great reviews and start to see your listing pop up. We now have one room on page one.... I'm sorry about your first guest experience. I wish you the best for the future!

Just an update... thank you to the many members who helped me reword and reposition our Air listings.
1. We no longer offer a two tiered product. Everyone is treated the same
2. We highlighted our name, our legal status and what we do that others don't.
3. We still have more to do, including adding photos of breakfast area, etc. But we are getting there.
4. If they want to book and pay the Air commission, they can. They can also google us to see more and book direct if they want to.
5. Explained to the guest who is here what "parity" is and why we offered a different product on Air than what we normally offer. So they understand why they paid less and are getting less and why the room is specific and about Air rules, etc.
So it looks like we are on a better path with this in the next little while. Still some work to do. Special thanks to those who helped review my listing and gave me input and that special someone who helped my on the phone. :)

Just an update... thank you to the many members who helped me reword and reposition our Air listings.
1. We no longer offer a two tiered product. Everyone is treated the same
2. We highlighted our name, our legal status and what we do that others don't.
3. We still have more to do, including adding photos of breakfast area, etc. But we are getting there.
4. If they want to book and pay the Air commission, they can. They can also google us to see more and book direct if they want to.
5. Explained to the guest who is here what "parity" is and why we offered a different product on Air than what we normally offer. So they understand why they paid less and are getting less and why the room is specific and about Air rules, etc.
So it looks like we are on a better path with this in the next little while. Still some work to do. Special thanks to those who helped review my listing and gave me input and that special someone who helped my on the phone. :).
Glad things are going better!

Final update... they left a few dollars worth of (worthless) pennies in the housekeeper's envelope! (Pennies are no longer legal tender here, they have to be turned into the bank.) I'll have to stand in line at a bank to deposit them! (Likely 30 minutes at the bank to deposit $2 worth of pennies!)
Ugh!
But they are finally gone.

I have my second airbnb this weekend. First one was a pleasure. I took Breakfast Divas cue and sold myself as a full service B&B and listed my price including the taxes. (CDN) I have a third one coming next week.
You're thinking too hard Charlie. Nice that the fee went straight to pay pal and the commission was only $4. Don't sweat the small stuff. Be up front and treat them like your regular folk. I know you've got stiff competition but at least you won't lose sleep over it.

So what did we learn about discounting our rooms on AirBnB?.
It isn't the discount, it's the two tier. Never doing that again.
Did they leave you a review?
I haven't reviewed yet, so I can't see theirs. I'm not sure what to write.
After you write a review and see theirs, you can rebut their review if necessary. The ones we have worried about left a good review. Our advice, "So and so were fine guests. (full stop)" Then do your complaints with the star rating. The breakfast I would let slide.

After you write a review and see theirs, you can rebut their review if necessary. The ones we have worried about left a good review. Our advice, "So and so were fine guests. (full stop)" Then do your complaints with the star rating. The breakfast I would let slide.
I believe there is also the opportunity to include a private review along with the public review, and I think you do get a couple of days to edit your review (maybe only if the other party has not yet left their review of you, not sure about that).

I finally left a review. I was on point but dry. I didn't want to leave her anything further, but I did address the problem in the part of the feedback to AirBnB about the situation.

I did a review for my last air guest, but she didn't do hers. I know that air would hold it against us as hosts if we didn't complete the review process, but is there any kind of negative if the guest doesn't do theirs?

Well, in spite of my leaving a basic review, she left a NASTY review. We are working on a response. But she was nasty and I'm wondering if I should have left a real review that warned others, rather than a pretty neutral one.

Well, in spite of my leaving a basic review, she left a NASTY review. We are working on a response. But she was nasty and I'm wondering if I should have left a real review that warned others, rather than a pretty neutral one..
So sorry this happened. Good thing is likely little harm done. If any legit criticism, you can alter your description to address it. I did that a bit ago after one person finally wrote she thought the apartment was actually on the water. Nowhere in the description did it say that, but I can see how she and others might have been misled. So the description is slightly altered.
On the other hand, your reviews of guests will likely only be seen on their personal descriptions, so it really doesn't hurt much to be honest. Having said that, I've always stayed neutral. At departure, you could always use the "Five for five" code, I read about in an Uber article. And fingers crossed, never a nasty guest, only the entitled. And I seem to have a radar to detect them coming. :)

Back