The stupid GPS maps idea of how to get to my home

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBeachHouse

Reaction score
A couple complained about the weird directions they had on their phone that takes them through the woods when a simpler way is a block away.
He was emphatic that these directions were taken from my website. I was clear that they were not. They argued and showed me their phone screen with the g-maps directions that we know are out there and I finally said, I don't know what website you were on when you made the reservation, but if you go to our website, you will see the directions and these aren't them.

They know best, don't they?!? Those who try to whip thru to by pass the light. One neighbor had the town change the "Not a thru street" sign to "Dead End". Then we parked a car where you can see that it's park from the end of the alley. It has slowed down the amount of traffic somewhat. I want to put a chain across with a sign that reads, "Sorry Google Maps was wrong, road ends here."

They know best, don't they?!? Those who try to whip thru to by pass the light. One neighbor had the town change the "Not a thru street" sign to "Dead End". Then we parked a car where you can see that it's park from the end of the alley. It has slowed down the amount of traffic somewhat. I want to put a chain across with a sign that reads, "Sorry Google Maps was wrong, road ends here.".
Duff2014 said:
"Sorry Google Maps was wrong, road ends here."
thumbs_up.gif

We have this - put in our postcode and often it brings up the street which is the way into the car park, but because they don't know that they then fight the GPS to make it pull them up at the front. Now we are trying to message every guest the night before they come saying the best postcode to use is this which will bring up this street name XXXXX which brings you into the car park - seems to be working.

We have this - put in our postcode and often it brings up the street which is the way into the car park, but because they don't know that they then fight the GPS to make it pull them up at the front. Now we are trying to message every guest the night before they come saying the best postcode to use is this which will bring up this street name XXXXX which brings you into the car park - seems to be working..
For some strange reason we are the only house on this side of the road with our postcode, the rest are on the other side about 200 yards down the road. If I had a £1 for every phone call I've had along the lines "we're outside the xxx Inn, we can't find you"...........

We have the Google Map plus several sets of directions from different large cities. Getting to our Mountain Town isn't easy, but the GPS always takes you the curviest route. I explain this on our directions page, but most people don't read that. They DO ask for better directions home, though. It's easy to print up a map from Google to give them when they are leaving so they won't get car sick.
C

You're so right about people not reading.
On my confirmation email I have
  1. Google maps link (insert starting point)
  2. latitude and longitude coordinates
  3. ask them not to insert postal code (covers a vast region)
  4. tell them not to use Mapquest (puts them in a totally different town)
  5. If they've booked through my site, I offer step by step directions. Those who use it say it was perfect.
I still get people that don't drive far enough up our road even though the directions tell them how far to drive and we have a sign posted at the turn to tell them how far we are. But, if people use an old fashioned map, they're fine.
Curse the age of the GPS!

5. If they've booked through my site, I offer step by step directions. Those who use it say it was perfect.
I still get people that don't drive far enough up our road even though the directions tell them how far to drive and we have a sign posted at the turn to tell them how far we are. But, if people use an old fashioned map, they're fine.
Curse the age of the GPS!.
2cat_lady said:
tell them not to use Mapquest (puts them in a totally different town)
I tell people not to use Mapquest as well.
It has the B&B in the right location, just uses strange wording in their directions to our B&B.
Mapquest is a big referrer to my website and leads to bookings.

Curse the age of the GPS!.
2cat_lady said:
tell them not to use Mapquest (puts them in a totally different town)
I tell people not to use Mapquest as well.
It has the B&B in the right location, just uses strange wording in their directions to our B&B.
Mapquest is a big referrer to my website and leads to bookings.
makes sense to try out every Mapping software from different directions and ensure it is clear and accurate to any first timer.

Some people seem to have little concept of where our website ends and others begin. I've had people tell me a number of things that are on our webiste, that very clearly are not. Some people even seem to think that our entry on external websites are "our" website.

Some people seem to have little concept of where our website ends and others begin. I've had people tell me a number of things that are on our webiste, that very clearly are not. Some people even seem to think that our entry on external websites are "our" website..
I say now "and what does it say in the little white box at the top?" ie boo k .com/ Camberley then no it is not our web site.

Back