The year of the $100 room.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
been reading the comments regarding some folks wanting discount or last minute deals for some time.....
it realy bothers me...
I get it to........yes, a different profession.......it's all the same, none the less.....I don't get insulted or peeved anymore.......I get serious and flat out tell them......1- I couldn't do what I do for anything less, if I did. You would not be happy with the results......2- there is an expense to operating a business. "Legaly".......They persist.......I have options.........I could thank them for their time and tell them that we are obviously not a good fit for what you want, so you can call someone else...........or, we can remove things from the program to suite your budget.
I am not discounting for the sake of discounting........no one should..
Totally guilty of asking a landscaper if there was any fat built into the plan. He said he could lay the whole thing out, bring the plants and I could put them in. Or I could get smaller plants.
The tough part with that is I like to get the yard done before Mem Day. Right after Mem Day, everything I bought 2 days prior goes on sale for 25% off, so there IS some fat built in! And if you're on the mailing list there's a discount.
I'm not averse to a little back and forth on the pricing. It's the folks who think knocking 1/3 off the price is ok who get to me. I would never expect anyone to drop their prices by 1/3. If I go into the garden store and drop $200 on annuals, a little perk would be nice. Even a free plant. A little one.
I need to build a little fat into my prices I guess. It'll take the sting out.
Morticia - I need to build a little fat into my prices I guess. It'll take the sting out. Actually this is about what was said in a B&B.com webinar today. You should have a high rack rate that would still hook 90% for your busiest weekends. Then from there make your adjustments for other times. Basicly working your rates all the time to keep up with the supply & demand. An example of how most hotel websites work now - most do not list their rates until you plug in a date - then you see the rate for the rooms available. This is done so they can control their rates easier and a customer will never know anything other than what the room is going for during their dates.
But given your original post, none of this will change the $100 tops bargin shopper if your bottom rate does not match.
copperhead said:
But given your original post, none of this will change the $100 tops bargin shopper if your bottom rate does not match.
But at least it gives you bargaining power. So if the rate is usually $175 you can say "the best I could do is $150" and still be okay. I usually throw in a "please don't tell the other guests because that's a really good deal I'm giving you." They take that one most of the time.
That is, you'll be okay as long as there's a cushion at the $175 rate.
And having done this myself a zillion times with the bargain shoppers, it's surprising how many of the guests who insist they can't do better than $100 will be okay with $150 if they think they're getting a deal. That's what they're looking for more than anything else.

been reading the comments regarding some folks wanting discount or last minute deals for some time.....
it realy bothers me...
I get it to........yes, a different profession.......it's all the same, none the less.....I don't get insulted or peeved anymore.......I get serious and flat out tell them......1- I couldn't do what I do for anything less, if I did. You would not be happy with the results......2- there is an expense to operating a business. "Legaly".......They persist.......I have options.........I could thank them for their time and tell them that we are obviously not a good fit for what you want, so you can call someone else...........or, we can remove things from the program to suite your budget.
Totally guilty of asking a landscaper if there was any fat built into the plan. He said he could lay the whole thing out, bring the plants and I could put them in. Or I could get smaller plants.
The tough part with that is I like to get the yard done before Mem Day. Right after Mem Day, everything I bought 2 days prior goes on sale for 25% off, so there IS some fat built in! And if you're on the mailing list there's a discount.
I'm not averse to a little back and forth on the pricing. It's the folks who think knocking 1/3 off the price is ok who get to me. I would never expect anyone to drop their prices by 1/3. If I go into the garden store and drop $200 on annuals, a little perk would be nice. Even a free plant. A little one.
Morticia - I need to build a little fat into my prices I guess. It'll take the sting out. Actually this is about what was said in a B&B.com webinar today. You should have a high rack rate that would still hook 90% for your busiest weekends. Then from there make your adjustments for other times. Basicly working your rates all the time to keep up with the supply & demand. An example of how most hotel websites work now - most do not list their rates until you plug in a date - then you see the rate for the rooms available. This is done so they can control their rates easier and a customer will never know anything other than what the room is going for during their dates.
copperhead said:
But at least it gives you bargaining power. So if the rate is usually $175 you can say "the best I could do is $150" and still be okay. I usually throw in a "please don't tell the other guests because that's a really good deal I'm giving you." They take that one most of the time.
And having done this myself a zillion times with the bargain shoppers, it's surprising how many of the guests who insist they can't do better than $100 will be okay with $150 if they think they're getting a deal. That's what they're looking for more than anything else.
Innkeeper To Go "......it's surprising how many of the guests who insist they can't do better than $100 will be okay with $150 if they think they're getting a deal. That's what they're looking for more than anything else."I wish that were the case here, but it is not. You would not know what I have been through to get someone to book my $109 room when what they really wanted was my bargin $99 room.... $10 measly dollars and you would think it was $50. My bargin shoppers are the ones that hit the doors runnin on Black Friday and are the ones that would maul you over to get to the last special item on the shelf.

Well so far my GPS people have not been having a problem with my rates. I am going to have to sop being lazy and flip rooms immediately! JUST got a walk-in GPS - apologized for calling at 11 p.m. but no rooms anywhere. Heck yes I will take you. "I do not need breakfast in the morning" - as if I am going to let someone get out of here without one of my breakfasts! I want him to come back!!
Off to roast some coffee for in the morning. I will set the table as I roast. The house smells great since I just baked DH some rye bread tonight.

it realy bothers me...
copperhead said:
Innkeeper To Go "......it's surprising how many of the guests who insist they can't do better than $100 will be okay with $150 if they think they're getting a deal. That's what they're looking for more than anything else."I wish that were the case here, but it is not. You would not know what I have been through to get someone to book my $109 room when what they really wanted was my bargin $99 room.... $10 measly dollars and you would think it was $50. My bargin shoppers are the ones that hit the doors runnin on Black Friday and are the ones that would maul you over to get to the last special item on the shelf.
copperhead said:
You would not know what I have been through to get someone to book my $109 room when what they really wanted was my bargin $99 room.... $10 measly dollars and you would think it was $50. My bargin shoppers are the ones that hit the doors runnin on Black Friday and are the ones that would maul you over to get to the last special item on the shelf.
Yes, I know the ones. But aren't you just as happy that those guests are moving on?
I hate letting good guests get away. But some guests are just going to be happier somewhere else and that's just fine.
I'm not advocating coming down to the bargain basement rates. Quite the opposite.
By raising rates ever so slightly to create a cushion, innkeepers are able to maintain better control of their daily rates and still have some bargaining room. My experience - both in the inns I've managed and the inns I've advised about rates - is that by doing so occupancy actually increases. Now some inns don't want to bargain ever. And some inns are happy with the occupancy they have.
But keeping rates low doesn't necessarily improve occupancy and it rarely improves the bottom line.
I'm for a cushion. Always give yourself some wiggle room.

I am all for having "A" lower priced room for budget minded guests. When they book it I respect them, it is those saying they will only pay $99 on a higher priced room that gets my goat.

it realy bothers me...
Morticia said:
sure, sure...........I am expressing the similar situation that you get with the rooms....You have a reasonable room that is $125 a night. All other rooms are higher......get the walk in wanting to pay only $60........want the full service and experience for half the price...........and what you refer to "fat".....that's called profit.......yes a nursery will discount annual flowers at some time after the spring rush......that is so they don't take a loss on what is left in stock, protecting the profit..........not any different that having seasonal room rates........high season you can command a higher rate than the low/off season.
I don't blame folks for asking if there is a better price......I do it as well.....it's those that beat you up over it.........

it realy bothers me...
copperhead said:
copperhead said:
You would not know what I have been through to get someone to book my $109 room when what they really wanted was my bargin $99 room.... $10 measly dollars and you would think it was $50. My bargin shoppers are the ones that hit the doors runnin on Black Friday and are the ones that would maul you over to get to the last special item on the shelf.
Yes, I know the ones. But aren't you just as happy that those guests are moving on?
I hate letting good guests get away. But some guests are just going to be happier somewhere else and that's just fine.
I'm not advocating coming down to the bargain basement rates. Quite the opposite.
By raising rates ever so slightly to create a cushion, innkeepers are able to maintain better control of their daily rates and still have some bargaining room. My experience - both in the inns I've managed and the inns I've advised about rates - is that by doing so occupancy actually increases. Now some inns don't want to bargain ever. And some inns are happy with the occupancy they have.
But keeping rates low doesn't necessarily improve occupancy and it rarely improves the bottom line.
Innkeeper To Go said:
copperhead said:
Yes....wiggle room is fine........and it makes both parties happy.

I always have a price in my mind I won't go lower than for a particular date and when they ask the price I add at least $20-30 to it so I have wiggle room. Lower than a certain price and you are making a loss it is just not worth it.

And then the strange thing is I have never walked into a B&B or hotel and told them "I will only pay this" I have never called and said that either. I do admit this year I have mentioned a room for room swap when I do not know the inn personally to which I got "You can have the corporate discount of 10% off" thrown back in my face.
You all know where I am, anyone want to do a swap, let me know, make it a couple nights so it is worth your drive time. :)

And then the strange thing is I have never walked into a B&B or hotel and told them "I will only pay this" I have never called and said that either. I do admit this year I have mentioned a room for room swap when I do not know the inn personally to which I got "You can have the corporate discount of 10% off" thrown back in my face.
You all know where I am, anyone want to do a swap, let me know, make it a couple nights so it is worth your drive time. :).
I am still waiting for you to come on down. The girls can get a history lesson only 2.5 miles away.......!
RIki

Back