Then....and Now

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have yet to migrate from phone and paper to the cloud. Now not wanting to..
gaelstorm said:
I have yet to migrate from phone and paper to the cloud. Now not wanting to.
To me, that's like saying, I don't want a car because I've heard they have flat tires occasionally.
The daily, hourly benefits far outweigh the extremely rare down times.
Arks said:
gaelstorm said:
To me, that's like saying, I don't want a car because I've heard they have flat tires occasionally.
LOL
I only have eight rooms and lots of repeat guests who can't make their reservations until they hear that the fish are biting and then.....all hell breaks loose, guys have to sleep in their trucks, no room at the inn for 100 miles ! So I can't sell my rooms for rock bottom prices on line ahead of time. Does my decision make sense now? BTW it is a "heritage" motel in our little fishing village.
gaelstorm said:
I only have eight rooms...So I can't sell my rooms for rock bottom prices on line ahead of time.
You have a lot more rooms than I do. I never lower my rates, online or anywhere else.
It's just that these days more and more people want to be able to book immediately and be done with it, even at 1 a.m. if that's when they're up planning their trip, and if they can only book by calling and talking to you, or by sending a request and waiting for an e-mail reply later, a lot of people, like me, will just look elsewhere.
Most people under 40 would rather take a beating than talk to somebody on the phone, and people under 30 don't even use e-mail anymore. Granted, those people may not be your target. They're not mine either. But a lot of older folks, like me, have some of their youthful ways!
Arks said:
You have a lot more rooms than I do. I never lower my rates, online or anywhere else.
Yeah, but you are rich, you drive a $500K Tesla car.
Jon Sable said:
Hey, I'm not the one with the 4 story big city mansion, and I WISH I could afford a $500K Tesla.That would be the combo car/jet plane/submarine.
9146343.jpg

The bank owns more than two of the stores of this big a$$ mansion and the city wants over $10K a year just to let me live in it.
I wish I could own a Lotus Esprit like that one (I'm pretty sure that's a Lotus, but I could be wrong.) My first car was so cheap that I couldn't afford to buy the radio, never mind the A/C. My grandparents gave me the car stereo as a gift. The A/C consisted of two ice packs taped around my head and the windows open.

gaelstorm said:
Arks said:
gaelstorm said:
LOL
I only have eight rooms and lots of repeat guests who can't make their reservations until they hear that the fish are biting and then.....all hell breaks loose, guys have to sleep in their trucks, no room at the inn for 100 miles ! So I can't sell my rooms for rock bottom prices on line ahead of time. Does my decision make sense now? BTW it is a "heritage" motel in our little fishing village.
gaelstorm said:
I only have eight rooms...So I can't sell my rooms for rock bottom prices on line ahead of time.
It's just that these days more and more people want to be able to book immediately and be done with it, even at 1 a.m. if that's when they're up planning their trip, and if they can only book by calling and talking to you, or by sending a request and waiting for an e-mail reply later, a lot of people, like me, will just look elsewhere.
Most people under 40 would rather take a beating than talk to somebody on the phone, and people under 30 don't even use e-mail anymore. Granted, those people may not be your target. They're not mine either. But a lot of older folks, like me, have some of their youthful ways!
Arks said:
Jon Sable said:
Hey, I'm not the one with the 4 story big city mansion, and I WISH I could afford a $500K Tesla.That would be the combo car/jet plane/submarine.
9146343.jpg

The bank owns more than two of the stores of this big a$$ mansion and the city wants over $10K a year just to let me live in it.
I wish I could own a Lotus Esprit like that one (I'm pretty sure that's a Lotus, but I could be wrong.) My first car was so cheap that I couldn't afford to buy the radio, never mind the A/C. My grandparents gave me the car stereo as a gift. The A/C consisted of two ice packs taped around my head and the windows open.
Jon Sable said:
The bank owns more than two of the stores of this big a$$ mansion...
See, you're WAY ahead of me. The bank owns a lot more than that of my place! But my property is paying it's way and slowly paying for the building, so I'm happy. When my 3 new units open in a couple of months, it (the business) should be paying a lot more on the building. Then I get to buy my yacht ;-)

gaelstorm said:
Arks said:
gaelstorm said:
LOL
gaelstorm said:
Arks said:
Jon Sable said:
9146343.jpg

Jon Sable said:
See, you're WAY ahead of me. The bank owns a lot more than that of my place! But my property is paying it's way and slowly paying for the building, so I'm happy. When my 3 new units open in a couple of months, it (the business) should be paying a lot more on the building. Then I get to buy my yacht ;-)
Yacht? I'd be lucky to own a kayak outright! The only reason that I own almost 1/2 my house is the appreciation on the property. From the original value I own under 30%... so about a floor and maybe 2 steps. :)

gaelstorm said:
Arks said:
gaelstorm said:
LOL
gaelstorm said:
Arks said:
Jon Sable said:
9146343.jpg

Jon Sable said:
Arks said:
When my 3 new units open in a couple of months, it (the business) should be paying a lot more on the building. Then I get to buy my yacht ;-)
Opening-Sequence-gilligans-island-29843437-830-626_0.jpg

gaelstorm said:
Arks said:
gaelstorm said:
LOL
gaelstorm said:
Arks said:
Jon Sable said:
9146343.jpg

Jon Sable said:
Arks said:
When my 3 new units open in a couple of months, it (the business) should be paying a lot more on the building. Then I get to buy my yacht ;-)

Innkeep said:
Arks said:
Ha!

The folks of the Minnow had life pretty good on that island.

gaelstorm said:
Arks said:
gaelstorm said:
LOL
gaelstorm said:
Arks said:
Jon Sable said:
9146343.jpg

Jon Sable said:
Yacht? I'd be lucky to own a kayak outright! The only reason that I own almost 1/2 my house is the appreciation on the property. From the original value I own under 30%... so about a floor and maybe 2 steps. :)
When we created the private bathroom, we went from actually owning the house to owning the front door.

Back