They Made Me Cry (A Bit Long)

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BananaE29

Reaction score
A couple just left after two nights. I just knew from the minute I answered the phone that they were going to be a pain. A million questions and very particular about what they wanted/needed. They ended up booking the smallest/cheapest room, even though I pushed for the largest because it had all the amenities they asked for (kitchenette, bathtub, more square footage), and it was only $20 more per night. Well, things happen for a reason, and luck should have it that the larger room was available during the time they booked. So when they arrived on Saturday, I offered to show them the one that they didn't book in case they wanted to change. Of course, they did, so that was an easy enough fix. But on and on and on they went about how small that other room was. Sigh...it seemed they were going to be "those" type of guests.

They ordered breakfast delivery on Sunday morning, which is an additional charge. I must have made three additional trips up and down the stairs for things I would not normally deliver. When I picked up their dishes, they had taken maybe 3-4 bites. Sigh.....what did I do wrong now?

He ordered a surprise birthday package for her. Very particular about the wording on the cake - it's an 1/8 sheet cake - you can't fit much on there! But I thought it looked good and with the balloons and banner, the room was very festive looking for her when they returned from the day's outings. Sigh....I wondered what else I could do to please them, since nothing else since their arrival seemed to meet their expectations.

The weekday breakfast menu was left in their room for them to fill out and drop off on the check in desk for me. The menu has about ten different items, based on what I normally keep in the house. You simply check off what you want by using a dry erase pen. I'm open to substitutions, deletions, whatever...I'm pretty easy. But I get their menu back and there are hand written notes inside, specifying exactly what they want - not even close to the things I normally offer. And it's dropped off at 9 PM. I am NOT going to the store this late. I am NOT going to the store this late!!! (extra exclamation marks here just for JB) Well, off to the store I go, to get what they wanted because, well...I wanted something to impress them.

I carried all their luggage up and down the stairs and out to their car. I put more feeling and love into their stay than I normally would because..well...I wanted them to like something...anything I did! All these thoughts I had for two days of how miserable they must be and how they would never come back and how I would get a bad review from them....only to have him hand me $100 bill as they left and tell me what a wonderful time they had and they couldn't wait to tell their friends all about it. Tears just popped to my eyes and I gave them a huge hug and a heartfelt "thank you".

All this to say.....it's so easy to pre-judge people and assume the worst, just because they don't fit in a certain category. Because they want a little more than the next guest, or because they don't seem like normal "B&B" people. I know I'm going to work even harder with the next "challenge" because it makes me a better person.

That really sucks that you had such a hard 2 days, but it paid off nicely with a fat tip! Really glad they recognized all the extra hard work you were putting in. You will definitely get some nice word of mouth or online reviews out of it -- they seem like the type of people that like to run their mouths.
Now go buy yourself a fancy bottle of wine with some of that extra cash!

Great story and just goes to show you that you never REALLY know what a person is thinking or living. We all have our story.
And good job!!!!

So glad they realized how many hoops you jumped through for them. It sounds like it was well worth it for you and that you are pleased with your own effort without being resentful. A true innkeeper at heart!
heart.gif

Now....my point of view...was it worth it? Maybe, maybe not. The next time they come, or their friends come, you can expect more of the same. Hopefully you will have the time and energy to devote to all their demands without being run ragged.
If they write a nice review, you can't put a price on that. If they tell their friends, and even one of them books with you, it was worth it from a monetary point of view.
thumbs_up.gif
The unexpected $100 was a nice gesture on their part so take it and run!
When the glow fades, take another look at the whole incident and try to decide if the angst, "challenge" and time were worth it.
cry_smile.gif
Then decide your course of action the next time this type of guest situation presents itself....and it will, over, and over again, if you are an innkeeper for any length of time.

It makes me smile to read the happy ending to your story.

What a wonderful ending to a difficult story! Take that $100 and spend it on yourself, you certainly deserve it.

So glad they realized how many hoops you jumped through for them. It sounds like it was well worth it for you and that you are pleased with your own effort without being resentful. A true innkeeper at heart!
heart.gif

Now....my point of view...was it worth it? Maybe, maybe not. The next time they come, or their friends come, you can expect more of the same. Hopefully you will have the time and energy to devote to all their demands without being run ragged.
If they write a nice review, you can't put a price on that. If they tell their friends, and even one of them books with you, it was worth it from a monetary point of view.
thumbs_up.gif
When the glow fades, take another look at the whole incident and try to decide if the angst, "challenge" and time were worth it.
cry_smile.gif
Then decide your course of action the next time this type of guest situation presents itself....and it will, over, and over again, if you are an innkeeper for any length of time..
Silverspoon said:
heart.gif

thumbs_up.gif
cry_smile.gif
Then decide your course of action the next time this type of guest situation presents itself....and it will, over, and over again, if you are an innkeeper for any length of time.
It was worth it because they left happy, with good memories. The tip is just icing. After ten years, I still do this to make people feel special. After reading what they wrote in the guest book, I know they truly enjoyed themselves, and if I had to sacrifice a little for that - that's ok. That's my job. It's the PITAs that don't appreciate what I do that drain me, and I could care less what they think when they leave. The type of guests I just had, while their expectations are different than others, are A-ok in my book. They made clear what they wanted, and I did my best to meet those expectations. They are happy, and so am I :)

heart.gif

thumbs_up.gif
cry_smile.gif
Then decide your course of action the next time this type of guest situation presents itself....and it will, over, and over again, if you are an innkeeper for any length of time..
Silverspoon said:
heart.gif

thumbs_up.gif
cry_smile.gif
It was worth it because they left happy, with good memories. The tip is just icing. After ten years, I still do this to make people feel special. After reading what they wrote in the guest book, I know they truly enjoyed themselves, and if I had to sacrifice a little for that - that's ok. That's my job. It's the PITAs that don't appreciate what I do that drain me, and I could care less what they think when they leave. The type of guests I just had, while their expectations are different than others, are A-ok in my book. They made clear what they wanted, and I did my best to meet those expectations. They are happy, and so am I :)
BRAVO! For a job well done and for knowing exactly what keeps you going.
thumbs_up.gif

Well done. You are a super amazing innkeeper..
Joey Bloggs said:
Well done. You are a super amazing innkeeper.
Ok, that really needed an exclamation point.
Breakfast Diva said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Well done. You are a super amazing innkeeper.
Ok, that really needed an exclamation point.
It was difficult. very difficult. not to.
Use them, use them wisely I say!

Back