Thinking About Europeans

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This came into play today (ironically) as we have 2 US citizens staying with us for about 2 weeks and have enquired about wash cloths which completely baffled our chamber maid as she thought they meant cleaning cloths ie to clean shoes or something. in the UK what you call wash cloths are called in the main Flannels as that is what they were made of. I may pop out and buy some for them as they are cheap enough but they are not something provided as standard in the UK.
I don't put bed sizes on but I do have pictures of every room which I think helps but if I know its a US booking I make sure they know that in the UK twin means 2 small beds not one big bed for 2 people as we have hit snaggs with this before. However european men (ie non gay ones) don't seem to have any bother about sharing a double bed where as UK men would rather be tarred and feathered..
Coincidentally we started putting flannels in our guest bathrooms after a couple of people asked for them, both American.
Highlands John said:
Coincidentally we started putting flannels in our guest bathrooms after a couple of people asked for them, both American.
Oh HJ you made me smile, that is what my m-i-l always called them (she's a Kiwi - baaaaaaaaaaa)
She also still calls thread "cotton", even though it is polyester most or all. I need to get some cotton.
Cotton Wool Buds - QTips
Biro - pen
Rubber - eraser
and so on...many of the same terms I am sure you use there.

This came into play today (ironically) as we have 2 US citizens staying with us for about 2 weeks and have enquired about wash cloths which completely baffled our chamber maid as she thought they meant cleaning cloths ie to clean shoes or something. in the UK what you call wash cloths are called in the main Flannels as that is what they were made of. I may pop out and buy some for them as they are cheap enough but they are not something provided as standard in the UK.
I don't put bed sizes on but I do have pictures of every room which I think helps but if I know its a US booking I make sure they know that in the UK twin means 2 small beds not one big bed for 2 people as we have hit snaggs with this before. However european men (ie non gay ones) don't seem to have any bother about sharing a double bed where as UK men would rather be tarred and feathered..
Flannel, washcloth or facecloth, all the same thing. Around here they are terry cloth.
Dishcloths in Canada and very different, in Canada they are waffleweave material. In the US they are usually terry. The difference stems from quotas, Canada has a strict quota on terry importation and it increases the cost of terry because you have to pay for the permit. The US doesn't.
Of course the only reason I know this is that my family... are linen importers. Grew up with this stuff.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Of course the only reason I know this is that my family... are linen importers. Grew up with this stuff.
I am in what was the textile capital of the country here, there are still linens and dye factories around here. Not the cotton growing south.

Highlands John said:
Oh HJ you made me smile, that is what my m-i-l always called them (she's a Kiwi - baaaaaaaaaaa)
She also still calls thread "cotton", even though it is polyester most or all. I need to get some cotton.
Cotton Wool Buds - QTips
Biro - pen
Rubber - eraser
Joey Bloggs said:
Rubber - eraser
I talked once with a Spanish guy who spent a year in America as an exchange student. He learned British English in school in Spain, of course, and he told of his first week in the American high school, when he leaned over to the guy at the desk beside him and asked, "Excuse me. May I borrow your rubber?" He said the American boy looked shocked at the question, so the Spaniard reassured him, "Don't worry. I will give it back to you when I'm done with it."
(Somebody will probably have to explain to Camberly and Highlands John why this is funny.)

Highlands John said:
Cotton Wool Buds - QTips
Biro - pen
Rubber - eraser
Joey Bloggs said:
Rubber - eraser
I talked once with a Spanish guy who spent a year in America as an exchange student. He learned British English in school in Spain, of course, and he told of his first week in the American high school, when he leaned over to the guy at the desk beside him and asked, "Excuse me. May I borrow your rubber?" He said the American boy looked shocked at the question, so the Spaniard reassured him, "Don't worry. I will give it back to you when I'm done with it."
(Somebody will probably have to explain to Camberly and Highlands John why this is funny.)
we use the terms rubber and eraser both for a device to rub out pencil markings as well as it being generally known as slang for a condom. don't worry we see the funny side.

Highlands John said:
Cotton Wool Buds - QTips
Biro - pen
Rubber - eraser
Joey Bloggs said:
Highlands John said:
Cotton Wool Buds - QTips
Biro - pen
Rubber - eraser
Calling thread "cotton" is very common here. I always think "biro" is triumph of marketing, although I do think the use of that term is declining. "Hoover" is another one, people here frequently call the vacuum cleaner the hoover. as is cellotape.
Right, I'm off to hoover the bedrooms.

Highlands John said:
Cotton Wool Buds - QTips
Biro - pen
Rubber - eraser
Joey Bloggs said:
Highlands John said:
Cotton Wool Buds - QTips
Biro - pen
Rubber - eraser
Did she also use the term durex to refer to cello tape?
We get looks when we tell Americans that we are going to sit on the chesterfield.

Flannel, washcloth or facecloth, all the same thing. Around here they are terry cloth.
Dishcloths in Canada and very different, in Canada they are waffleweave material. In the US they are usually terry. The difference stems from quotas, Canada has a strict quota on terry importation and it increases the cost of terry because you have to pay for the permit. The US doesn't.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
I am in what was the textile capital of the country here, there are still linens and dye factories around here. Not the cotton growing south.
Joey Bloggs said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
My grandmother is the inventor of the sheet set. They were so poor that they were afraid of having left over sheets, so they tied everything together in bundles and refused to sell it any other way. Dan River even paid them for the idea.
To be honest, I wish I could still get sheets made in NC, with the fabric at the top and bottom instead of elastic all the way around. They snapped to the bed nicely and you had a lot less shifting and tucking to do.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
My grandmother is the inventor of the sheet set. They were so poor that they were afraid of having left over sheets, so they tied everything together in bundles and refused to sell it any other way. Dan River even paid them for the idea.
To be honest, I wish I could still get sheets made in NC, with the fabric at the top and bottom instead of elastic all the way around. They snapped to the bed nicely and you had a lot less shifting and tucking to do.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Interesting!
We drove past the big ol' closed up mill (In Danville VA) and it breaks your heart, esp the massive unemployment there. There was a tech company that had planned on buying it - it is very different now (even NASA is there) but I don't see where it happened, it is still vacant and derelict. Here is your trivia for the day - IKEA is there. Yes, IKEA, no not a store but the factory.
Here is google news of late (disclaimer - not sharing pro or non union commentary here just that this is in the news:
July 27 2011 Workers in southern Virginia at Ikea’s only factory in the United States voted Wednesday to belong to a union. click here for article

Highlands John said:
Cotton Wool Buds - QTips
Biro - pen
Rubber - eraser
Joey Bloggs said:
Highlands John said:
Cotton Wool Buds - QTips
Biro - pen
Rubber - eraser
Calling thread "cotton" is very common here. I always think "biro" is triumph of marketing, although I do think the use of that term is declining. "Hoover" is another one, people here frequently call the vacuum cleaner the hoover. as is cellotape.
....when I first came to Canada from England as a young teenager and was introduced to a guy called Randy I couldn't stop giggling.
..... (as previously mentioned) when I first came to the US and asked for a rubber in the work place the reaction was NOT what I expected.
..... and let's not forget that men in the US wear pants and suspenders. That gave me a very warped (but possibly accurate) picture of the guys working on Wall Street.

Highlands John said:
Cotton Wool Buds - QTips
Biro - pen
Rubber - eraser
Joey Bloggs said:
Highlands John said:
Cotton Wool Buds - QTips
Biro - pen
Rubber - eraser
....when I first came to Canada from England as a young teenager and was introduced to a guy called Randy I couldn't stop giggling.
..... (as previously mentioned) when I first came to the US and asked for a rubber in the work place the reaction was NOT what I expected.
..... and let's not forget that men in the US wear pants and suspenders. That gave me a very warped (but possibly accurate) picture of the guys working on Wall Street.
UKMaineiac said:
I'm sure there was lots of giggling when the Movie Funny Girl came out, given that the main character's name is Fanny Brice.

Highlands John said:
Cotton Wool Buds - QTips
Biro - pen
Rubber - eraser
Joey Bloggs said:
Highlands John said:
Cotton Wool Buds - QTips
Biro - pen
Rubber - eraser
UKMaineiac said:
I'm sure there was lots of giggling when the Movie Funny Girl came out, given that the main character's name is Fanny Brice.
Oh absolutely .... But "Hi, I'm Randy" still makes me giggle - pathetic but true.

Okay now for something completely different... here it is Eric, here it is where we are, where our guests from...
Our o/s guests book the cheapest room, stay the shortest amount of time and we are basically a sleep-over for them. The glitzy places like the old southern plantations of Charleston, the Disneyworlds, the cruise ships of Miami, these are the draw for our o/s guests. Totally diff to you in your locale and many others here on the forum. I do not get Italians here to shop, or foodies, etc. I get the slam bam thank you ma'am guests, who only want the cheapest smallest room, with no frills, no extras, just a hot cuppa upon arrival.
So for me, I won't cater to Europeans, in the least. I will cater to the bulk, being 95% American. The other 5% are mixed, mostly UK then on to other countries one by one...
teeth_smile.gif

Okay now for something completely different... here it is Eric, here it is where we are, where our guests from...
Our o/s guests book the cheapest room, stay the shortest amount of time and we are basically a sleep-over for them. The glitzy places like the old southern plantations of Charleston, the Disneyworlds, the cruise ships of Miami, these are the draw for our o/s guests. Totally diff to you in your locale and many others here on the forum. I do not get Italians here to shop, or foodies, etc. I get the slam bam thank you ma'am guests, who only want the cheapest smallest room, with no frills, no extras, just a hot cuppa upon arrival.
So for me, I won't cater to Europeans, in the least. I will cater to the bulk, being 95% American. The other 5% are mixed, mostly UK then on to other countries one by one...
teeth_smile.gif
I understand that, so in your case, just ignore the subject. In my case, not only do they take up much of the bulk of August, they also come off-season and enjoy paying extra for my larger rooms, which they see as a luxury. (Aussies seem to like to book the smallest room, even with all their luggage, then complain about the size of the room.)

Highlands John said:
Cotton Wool Buds - QTips
Biro - pen
Rubber - eraser
Joey Bloggs said:
Highlands John said:
Cotton Wool Buds - QTips
Biro - pen
Rubber - eraser
UKMaineiac said:
Oh absolutely .... But "Hi, I'm Randy" still makes me giggle - pathetic but true.
Probably not a good idea in the US to say "I'm just popping outside for fag" too!!!
regular_smile.gif

Highlands John said:
Cotton Wool Buds - QTips
Biro - pen
Rubber - eraser
Joey Bloggs said:
Highlands John said:
Cotton Wool Buds - QTips
Biro - pen
Rubber - eraser
UKMaineiac said:
Probably not a good idea in the US to say "I'm just popping outside for fag" too!!!
regular_smile.gif

HJ - I have a story which I WILL NOT put on-line. I'm hoping you know my "real" name so you can drop me a line. I (should but) don't remember your official contact details.

teeth_smile.gif
OTOH, we are listed in a couple of travel guide books as a great place to stop (the town, I mean) on a particular 'New England' tour that involves a stretch of Canada as well. We get guests who follow that tour to the letter. Mostly one-nighters because it takes close to 10 days to see the whole loop. What we find is that Euros will take the cheapest room (bath across the hall) because they don't care about the bathroom and they're here in the US for 6 weeks so every penny counts.
They don't plan ahead. The guidebook does not indicate that it is necessary to do so even though almost all of them come in August.

Highlands John said:
Cotton Wool Buds - QTips
Biro - pen
Rubber - eraser
Joey Bloggs said:
Highlands John said:
Cotton Wool Buds - QTips
Biro - pen
Rubber - eraser
UKMaineiac said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
UKMaineiac said:
This made me laugh. I once had to host some earnest British engineers in the toy industry, and they could not contain themselves when we happened upon a Candy Shop retailer named Fanny Farmer. Seriously, they reverted to four year olds! Charming.

Back