This is starting to get depressing :-(

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Google your state and a few terms like Bed and Breakfast or inn license. Once you get one person usually they can sort of tell you where to go next. Where we are, we needed a state license, a county thing (permit?) and the city gave us a variance. So it can get involved. The key is to know up front what they will be looking for as you are doing new construction..
Yes, in West Virginia NEW construction MUST have sprinklers - and if you are well or spring water this adds a humongous amount to the costs because it must have a holding tank under pressure.

Ok so this one sucked me in a bit. My story, I built one from the ground up, ran it for 9 years, got out (and was lucky to sell it).
I'm kind of into logic so here are the glaring problems with the logic of what you are dreaming to do.
First off it's always been my dream to run my own B&B one day, ... My plan was to have this place built... Take a few months off work and help my wife and a friend get it going. I would return to work to keep a positive cash flow, and return once I saw that the B&B could sustain itself.
Unless it is your wife and friend's DREAM too, you will likely return to board the place up and sell it after your wife is no longer your wife, and your friend has de-friended you.
I don't think the B&B portion will be very difficult to break into
You are right, in some cases, in certain locations, they are almost easy to start up. Regardless, starting up is the easy part. Maintaining is the real difficulty. By your math, this 4,000 sq ft B&B has to sustain 3 people (your wife, friend, and eventually you)... that is some kind of magical thing to hope for. You saying you will just run this from afar and return when it is up and stable still sounds like you have rose colored glasses on to me.

Dear James, For us the best approach was to buy an existing B&B. Far less hassle and immediate income. check out our web site higginshouse.com

Goodness,there are many positives. None of us want you to go into this blind (or wearing rose-colored glasses - same thing) because then you will have invested your life savings, discover it is not all greetings and ka-ching, and be stuck and miserable which makes for a bad innkeeper and unhappy guests.
IF you know all the pitfalls in advance and STILL want to do it, we say welcome aboard and what do you want to know.
I know nothing of financing. We paid cash for our house and started up with our own money. Did not get into debt until we put siding on the house and created a bathroom after we ran out of our own money (DH has a habit of draining the financial pond with medical crap) so got to know the world of 5 cents in my pocket again.
All I know about restaurants is that they are a lot of work and a lot of regulations I do not want to deal with (the work either) but if run correctly CAN be profitable. I also know we could not live on the income of our 3 rooms nor could we live comfortably without the income of the 3 rooms. These 3 rooms also bring the world to US which is necessary since DH can no longer travel.
If you have the finances and the desire, getting a snapshot of reality here and still are interested - GO FOR IT!!! Just get all rules and regs in WRITING and still hold your breath for another interpretation of what is written. Looking forward to hearing the name of your inn..
You sound just like us at the higgins house!

I applied for a restaurant license for our 2 room B&B right off the bat. I had, and still do have, thoughts of doing a weekend reservation -only breakfast for all comers, plus special occasion dinners. Having put that out there, we are located in a community of less than 300 people, in a county of about 4000, with one main lightly traveled highway stringing through it. When we re-modeled the place, I went down to the health dept (the inspector is also the department head, and is responsible for both food licenses, inspections and septic installation permits throughout the county. Everyone here wears several hats!) At any rate, I asked what we would need to do to satisfy restaurant requirements. We did what was required, got our license, and I make sure I keep it current, though it is presently underused. I think there is a market for what we would offer, as the only day-to-day restaurants here serve American diner food, straight from the Sysco delivery. To do anything else would be too labor intensive to support in an area that can barely keep a diner and full bar going. If we want something a cut above we have to (and many do) drive 30 miles one way or 45 miles the other way to places with larger populations. I think my idea will fly, and we can do it without having to hire out, but I will have to quit my day job, and I'm not quite ready to do that yet (I still really like it).
I don't think there is much of value to you in this story, other than there are so many different (and wonderful) ways of doing the hospitality business. When I was much younger, I worked in many kinds of restaurants, from pulling pints in pubs, to big city fine dining. If you can make your way in the restaurant business, it is very good experience for any occupation where good organization plus time management skills, and the ability to get along with many different personalities is a requirement. (That covers most occupations - don't you think?
wink_smile.gif
)
This forum is a god-send for those in the planning stages. Just keep reading the stories. Some will jump out at you with the lightbulb coming on, and another line will be written in your plan book. Keep thinking like a guest. Why do I want to come to your place. Is there ample and easy parking? Can I make my decision right now while I'm reading your website and book right away? What will I do while I'm there? Is vegetarian (gluten-free, whatever) OK, and will I enjoy something I don't have all the time at home?) Can I find the place easily? Is there ample and easy parking? (yep, that's there twice, your guests need to park. They need to be able to figure it out in just the few seconds it takes to see the place and pull in. They won't read, or probably even see, signs. Your neighbors need to not be inconvenienced. If you don't get this right to begin with, it is nearly impossible to fix later)
My, what a ramble this has turned into. Our (one) guest is still sleeping away, and doesn't want breakfast (a first for that).
I just want to add that while we looked for the perfect property (there is no perfect, just the best compromise) that was in our price range, could be converted to B&B and in a place that we would like to live, we had the perfect excuse for many enjoyable road trips. We got to know many out of the way places in our state that we can now recommend to others who like quirky gems in out of the way places.
If you want to do this, keep asking questions, keep reading, and work out the plan that will work for you, it will come together. Several former aspirings in this forum have now been running their inns for some time now. Its great to read their posts along with everyone else's. We all keep learning, and sharing, and we're better innkeepers for it. You're part of the mix now. I hope to keep reading your posts..
I really appreciate the time you took to give me some input. It definitely gives me a better prospective on things. I don't think the B&B portion will be very difficult to break into, but the commercial kitchen will be opening up a whole new can of worms!
I was looking at doing a similar restaurant operation. It wouldn't be a full time kitchen. We'd only open it on the weekend or reserve it for certain occasions. If it was successful then I'd like to make it a full time operation.
Would you be able to give me a guideline of some of the requirements you had to satisfy. Also what department did you contact to get the kitchen certified?
Thank you
Maddy is blunt, but right. There are far fewer regs here compared to most other places. If you've worked in kitchens that have a similar setup to, and are designed to serve the number of patrons you're aiming for, well, you get the drift of your general needs/wants. You may have town regulations, county regulations and state regulations. During our last annual health department inspection, a State inspector accompanied our county inspector. (a curiously minimal and brief inspection) If your state is like ours, the state regulations for Bed and Breakfasts/Inns and Restaurants will be posted online. That would be a good place to start. Our state had most everything we needed to know about building code requirements, operating rules and kitchen requirements posted on the State website. I think I did that reading in the v e r y early days of our road trips. Good thing, because in our state, Inns up to two rooms have one set of rules - above two and there are a lot more rules and requirements. Will you need ADA access? Will you need sprinklers? And locally, what kind of wall coverings and flooring will you be needing, what kind of range hood/fans/venting/fire extinguishers? Municipal water, well water? Monthly testing and reports? Sewage disposal? Very good things to know before doing the design plans.
Ya that Maddy lady is pretty annoying. All I was asking for was a place to start...
I'm looking in NC so hopefully their state regs will be online too, that will defiantly help. I just didn't want to spend a day on the phone getting transferred from one department to the next trying to figure out who I need to get in touch with.
That answered my question, thank you sir!

Dear James, For us the best approach was to buy an existing B&B. Far less hassle and immediate income. check out our web site higginshouse.com.
That's what everyone keeps telling me. Thanks for the link, I'll check it out. I'm still set on building it from the ground up. I've got a few builders still figuring out estimates for my project. A few weeks back I had a guy out of Asheville quote me at $200 dollars a square ft!!! If that really is the going rate then this just isn't going to happen.

Google your state and a few terms like Bed and Breakfast or inn license. Once you get one person usually they can sort of tell you where to go next. Where we are, we needed a state license, a county thing (permit?) and the city gave us a variance. So it can get involved. The key is to know up front what they will be looking for as you are doing new construction..
Yes, in West Virginia NEW construction MUST have sprinklers - and if you are well or spring water this adds a humongous amount to the costs because it must have a holding tank under pressure.
I'm pretty set on NC and yes I'll have to have a well. That doesn't make any sense! Thanks for the heads up, I'll definitely look into that.
Just out of curiosity, what is the purpose of a pressurized holding tank?

Dear James, For us the best approach was to buy an existing B&B. Far less hassle and immediate income. check out our web site higginshouse.com.
That's what everyone keeps telling me. Thanks for the link, I'll check it out. I'm still set on building it from the ground up. I've got a few builders still figuring out estimates for my project. A few weeks back I had a guy out of Asheville quote me at $200 dollars a square ft!!! If that really is the going rate then this just isn't going to happen.
James, you have been soooo lucky. The patience that has ben shown to you has been great. Since you know all there is to know about innkeeping and any other enterprise you care to indulge in. And considering what everyone has been telling you is annoying since we who have actually been doing this for years (18 for me and I was a start-up) really do not know anything about the rules and regulations (and the fact they are different in each and every location), please do yourself a favor - find another forum to ask. Feel free to return after you discover we really were trying to help you. Until then, you will be my first ignore - it wastes my time to try to help a pompous ass.

James Barrett said:
20 second internet search on 'cost per square foot to build in NC' found this... http://www.building-cost.net
Apparently your guy is charging double the going rate.

I'm pretty set on NC and yes I'll have to have a well. That doesn't make any sense! Thanks for the heads up, I'll definitely look into that.
Just out of curiosity, what is the purpose of a pressurized holding tank?
Last answer to you - a pressurized water tank is necessary for a sprinkler system to function from well or spring water. Well water will not flow at a great enough rate to be effective and in case of drought or some malfunction, there needs to be enough water available to the sprinkler system.
Oh, in case you think I do not know what I am talking about, I was Prez of our assiciation when we got the fire codes changed - the Fire Marshal said we just needed to get sprinkler systems in our B & Bs that the savings on insurance would pay for them. Funny but the premiere B &B insurer said all that wouldhappen was they would tell us thank you. No reduction in premium and most of my members were in the country, many with spring ort well water so we DID research it.

James Barrett said:
20 second internet search on 'cost per square foot to build in NC' found this... http://www.building-cost.net
Madeleine said:
James Barrett said:
His would be higher due to the commercial kitchen and high number of baths to square feet. But still $200/foot seems high.

James Barrett said:
Madeleine said:
James Barrett said:
His would be higher due to the commercial kitchen and high number of baths to square feet. But still $200/foot seems high.
Pretty standard to have 3-4 baths in a house that size, so I think the guestroom bathroom and owner's bathroom situation is covered under the general cost of building. Then again, maybe they won't be living there. It sounds a little small for guest rooms owner's space and a restaurant.
Of course, if this is a commercial property with a restaurant, that will require 2 extra, ADA compliant bathrooms outfitted according to local and federal codes. And the whole building will need to be ADA compliant to run a restaurant if it is new construction. At least that is the case here. Which is nowhere near NC.
The kitchen, yes, that's $100k without even blinking if he is required to have a fire suppression system. Just the dishwasher will be $3k and up. Of course, these things are available for pennies on the dollar given how many restaurants close within a year of opening. He should look for those resources in the area.

You don't want Asheville. There are already dozens and dozens of B & B's there. The place used to be the place I wanted to open mine. Right...they prices all zoomed through the roof. People are always putting their places up for sale. Seems like know one minds holding a 3 million dollar mortgage!!! Find another location in NC.

Cost per square foot will depend on a lot of factors. $100 / sq.ft. may be good for standard residential construction, but if you want higher-quality finishes, etc..., or if you have to build to commercial code rather than residential code, then $200 / sq. ft. doesn't sound too far out of line to me.

Cost per square foot will depend on a lot of factors. $100 / sq.ft. may be good for standard residential construction, but if you want higher-quality finishes, etc..., or if you have to build to commercial code rather than residential code, then $200 / sq. ft. doesn't sound too far out of line to me..
exactly. It used to be $100/sq ft. over 10 years ago when we contemplated building our own. Prices go up.

Where do you want to be located? It may be wiser to purchase or do a lease/option on an existing property that already has a consistent stream of cash flow.

Back