This is the day

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW 20 years.That is wonderful.
I had hope to go that long also. But life has a way to change things for sure. I hope you can enjoy a few more years also..
I have no choice - Himself refuses to die. I have to keep on keepin' on until then.
He kept hearing a motor running tonight. At 10 PM I get elected to go outside and down into the furnace room to check the sump pump that he thinks is running too long. So he finds a flashlight for me. The door does not want to open so I have to give it a shoulder (these steps down are cement, steep, and no railing. Mud from all our recent downpours is at the bottom of the steps). Sump pump is sitting there doing nothing. Noise starts, I unplug the sump pump. Noise continues. Plug it back in. It is the A/C trying to run. Turned off now. I just love that way it is OK for me to go out and check things at night. At least it was not raining. Thanks for letting kvetch. Right now I am furious. The thought never occurs that I could slip on those steps.
It is a hard life. Us women folks are tough old birds. We are the stronger one , That I have learned this year. Me with two types of cancer hubby with one. Oh yes he got a clean bill of health today. They got all the cancer. thank God! he does not have to have cemo or radiation. Me I have to live with knowing my cancer cannot be beaten. And have to give up My B&B. that is the harder one for sure. But like all good women we do what we have to do. Do we always like it H--- No!
I admire you getting up and checking things out. At night especially. But do be very care full with dangerous steps .I lived in a house with that darn pump. What a pain. I remember one day it did not work we had water every where. When I came downstairs things we floating. After that we put in all wooden boxes for the machines to be off the floor. it would be alright if the pump decided not to work again.
But having a sister in law who has the same problem as your hubby. I see it is a trap for her. The body just won't do what you want it to do. She feels so trapped. And is angry with life and not being able to do what she would like to do. She feels she can't travel any more. Can't cook or drive or and her love for gardening which she can't do any more. And when they do go out hubby has to take so many things so she can go and not easy to just get up and go. Or see events or places of interest.
Yes, I really do understand how it is for him. It is just as you said - just had to whine last night - mainly because over the years it has sometimes felt like no one gave a crap. I think it sometimes is that HE decides what the problem is and I get sent in to resolve it - even when I think it is something else (and it often is). Perhaps it is that it is EXPECTED that I do his bidding. Too often my mantra is Whatever he wants, whenever he wants, however he wants it. Whine over. Another day has dawned.
Just called the plumber.

I had hope to go that long also. But life has a way to change things for sure. I hope you can enjoy a few more years also..
I have no choice - Himself refuses to die. I have to keep on keepin' on until then.
He kept hearing a motor running tonight. At 10 PM I get elected to go outside and down into the furnace room to check the sump pump that he thinks is running too long. So he finds a flashlight for me. The door does not want to open so I have to give it a shoulder (these steps down are cement, steep, and no railing. Mud from all our recent downpours is at the bottom of the steps). Sump pump is sitting there doing nothing. Noise starts, I unplug the sump pump. Noise continues. Plug it back in. It is the A/C trying to run. Turned off now. I just love that way it is OK for me to go out and check things at night. At least it was not raining. Thanks for letting kvetch. Right now I am furious. The thought never occurs that I could slip on those steps.
It is a hard life. Us women folks are tough old birds. We are the stronger one , That I have learned this year. Me with two types of cancer hubby with one. Oh yes he got a clean bill of health today. They got all the cancer. thank God! he does not have to have cemo or radiation. Me I have to live with knowing my cancer cannot be beaten. And have to give up My B&B. that is the harder one for sure. But like all good women we do what we have to do. Do we always like it H--- No!
I admire you getting up and checking things out. At night especially. But do be very care full with dangerous steps .I lived in a house with that darn pump. What a pain. I remember one day it did not work we had water every where. When I came downstairs things we floating. After that we put in all wooden boxes for the machines to be off the floor. it would be alright if the pump decided not to work again.
But having a sister in law who has the same problem as your hubby. I see it is a trap for her. The body just won't do what you want it to do. She feels so trapped. And is angry with life and not being able to do what she would like to do. She feels she can't travel any more. Can't cook or drive or and her love for gardening which she can't do any more. And when they do go out hubby has to take so many things so she can go and not easy to just get up and go. Or see events or places of interest.
And Flower, I have started the SOSK on your case. If anyone can help, they can.

A message from one of the Sisterhood I thought you should see.
Makes us blush a bit when we get a wake up that there's always someone with it worse out there. It's easy to forget sometimes. We're all guilty! I'm waiting now at my oncologist office and I pray for all of those sites around me because I know they are fighting battles that are way worse than mine. Cancer isn't the only problem people face.

Makes us blush a bit when we get a wake up that there's always someone with it worse out there. It's easy to forget sometimes. We're all guilty! I'm waiting now at my oncologist office and I pray for all of those sites around me because I know they are fighting battles that are way worse than mine. Cancer isn't the only problem people face.
wise words.

Yes, I really do understand how it is for him. It is just as you said - just had to whine last night - mainly because over the years it has sometimes felt like no one gave a crap. I think it sometimes is that HE decides what the problem is and I get sent in to resolve it - even when I think it is something else (and it often is). Perhaps it is that it is EXPECTED that I do his bidding. Too often my mantra is Whatever he wants, whenever he wants, however he wants it. Whine over. Another day has dawned.
Just called the plumber.
Oh heck . If it was only so easy just to call a plummer. Heck they don't always come when need either. LOL Whining is allowed always But I found whining with a glass of winea lot easyer to swallow. Iam sorry... so sorry.! if you took this as a none support . I sure did not mean for that to come across as that. . I just did really understand how hard it is for Both Of you. Your mantra is mine most of the time. What he wants is easyer to live with. then not doing.
Your right in both cases feeling like no One gives a Crap.
You are are the sisterhood you are wise women in so many ways . It would be an honour to meet you one day. .

I hope all will work out for the best. In my hubby case he was lucky . Cancer is a wake up call only as I see it life goes on.... And another door opens , as one door closes or maybe two!!LOL

I hope all will work out for the best. In my hubby case he was lucky . Cancer is a wake up call only as I see it life goes on.... And another door opens , as one door closes or maybe two!!LOL

Just called the plumber.
Oh heck . If it was only so easy just to call a plummer. Heck they don't always come when need either. LOL Whining is allowed always But I found whining with a glass of winea lot easyer to swallow. Iam sorry... so sorry.! if you took this as a none support . I sure did not mean for that to come across as that. . I just did really understand how hard it is for Both Of you. Your mantra is mine most of the time. What he wants is easyer to live with. then not doing.
You are are the sisterhood you are wise women in so many ways . It would be an honour to meet you one day. .
I did not take your reply an non-support. Indeed, know you were commiserating with me. At 10 PM I was ready to strangle him. I appreciate you telling me about your s-i-l, it put what HE is dealing with back into perspective.
It does get to be a heavy load at times - being the one to handle everything. And it is a genetic trait of his family to not think of others until their own needs and wants are satisfied which gets to be a pain sometimes when one is wanting their own "pity party". That is probably what gets to me - every so often I really want to think I actually count as something other than Steppin' Fetchit

Just called the plumber.
I did not take your reply an non-support. Indeed, know you were commiserating with me. At 10 PM I was ready to strangle him. I appreciate you telling me about your s-i-l, it put what HE is dealing with back into perspective.
It does get to be a heavy load at times - being the one to handle everything. And it is a genetic trait of his family to not think of others until their own needs and wants are satisfied which gets to be a pain sometimes when one is wanting their own "pity party". That is probably what gets to me - every so often I really want to think I actually count as something other than Steppin' Fetchit
As a care giver it is not easy. On so many levels. I understand .
Nice to set down this morning with my cup of coffee and have a wee chat with you. Hope your day turned out better. More I hope it went well and you have good news.

Just called the plumber.
As a care giver it is not easy. On so many levels. I understand .
Nice to set down this morning with my cup of coffee and have a wee chat with you. Hope your day turned out better. More I hope it went well and you have good news.
Within an hour of me calling the plumber the guy was here, found the problem, had the part, and it was fixed. Himself is the glass is almost empty kind of person, he doesn't even see it half empty. Now that all is right in his world (will be as soon as the humidity goes down enough to spray fixer on the latest painting) things are back to normal.
Today I have to transcribe Minutes for Monday's Council meeting, iron the pillow cases I have been putting off, go to the store for milk, and bake a wedding cake for tomorrow. Back to normal. Whine over. Thanks for listening. Sometimes that is all that is needed.

Latest posts

Back