Time wasting game - no availability calendar

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I totally get this. Especially here. We tried to book back in Nov for a getaway. I found lots of places to stay and was happily planning away, checking how close to everything the place was, prices, etc and then got all the way to the booking part only to see, about 10 clicks in, that the place was CLOSED as of Oct 12. It happened time and time again.
People! I do not know you are seasonal unless you tell me! Right up front. On the home page. 'See you in May! Thanks for a wonderful season!'
There is one place I will call for reservations. We've been there, it's right where we want to be, and the price is right but it still annoys me that I don't know which rooms are open, just that rooms are open. (Which is a gigantic improvement over last year- something I talked them into!)
What I don't get about this place, either, is that I called this year to reserve and had to give them all my info again- they have no guest info on file. They also do not send a confirmation, give directions, anything. (Which may be why they are $85/night and the place around the corner is $200.)
However, I think we're both preaching to the choir here. My guess is most everyone on here has some sort of online booking..
I have been google searching websites, just to look a lots and get ideas. One thing I was surprised at is how many don't say what TOWN they are in right up top. If I am looking in a rural area, I suppose I could assume it is where I want to go, but in a more populated area, I have to click around to find out if that is the "town" I am going to.
Same thing holds for blogs too. I will be reading one and think, where the heck is Somethingsburg? Fine if they know about you first, but a small thing to add the state and inform those who came via somewhere else?
Excuse me if my ignorance is showing here..just quietly confused again.
white pine said:
I have been google searching websites, just to look a lots and get ideas. One thing I was surprised at is how many don't say what TOWN they are in right up top. If I am looking in a rural area, I suppose I could assume it is where I want to go, but in a more populated area, I have to click around to find out if that is the "town" I am going to.
Same thing holds for blogs too. I will be reading one and think, where the heck is Somethingsburg? Fine if they know about you first, but a small thing to add the state and inform those who came via somewhere else?
You scared me so I went and made sure I had the name of the town and the state right at the top!
Guess I wasn't wrong. I really was amazed at how much I was reading, wondering where the heck it was. Some B&B web pages don't mention their state. I looked at a few very carefully; I could usually figure it out by their references to sites nearby, but some I couldn't! Granted, I'm new to this, but it should be easy to see I should think. Been clicking everywhere, not just here
regular_smile.gif

My pet peeve as well. Especially, especially if they are in the news somewhere, some PR article and you go to their website and it gives a close up map of directions from the end of their town or something, what state? What country? What the!
If they are smart they will put their state and town/city all over that website for SEO.
and...yes there is more
Our town - there are three in 3 diff states, our B&B name, three in different states!

I totally get this. Especially here. We tried to book back in Nov for a getaway. I found lots of places to stay and was happily planning away, checking how close to everything the place was, prices, etc and then got all the way to the booking part only to see, about 10 clicks in, that the place was CLOSED as of Oct 12. It happened time and time again.
People! I do not know you are seasonal unless you tell me! Right up front. On the home page. 'See you in May! Thanks for a wonderful season!'
There is one place I will call for reservations. We've been there, it's right where we want to be, and the price is right but it still annoys me that I don't know which rooms are open, just that rooms are open. (Which is a gigantic improvement over last year- something I talked them into!)
What I don't get about this place, either, is that I called this year to reserve and had to give them all my info again- they have no guest info on file. They also do not send a confirmation, give directions, anything. (Which may be why they are $85/night and the place around the corner is $200.)
However, I think we're both preaching to the choir here. My guess is most everyone on here has some sort of online booking..
white pine said:
I've noticed that a lot, too. It is usually in the title bar at the top, but not always (Town and county, I mean).
What REALLY annoys me is when you can't figure out news stations and newspapers online. Channel 8 WHERE???? County, but what STATE??? Just a quiet head shake and away i go.
Notice I have not posted a ton of Inn the News lately? I find the same thing, I have absolutely NO IDEA where this News source is located and who they are writing about on their website.
Yes, JB, i had wondered why no Inn the News recently...I guess that answers my not-asked question.

Are you referring to the title tab in a browser when you open a website?
If so, talk to me, I hear ya, I am on Twitter and when I use Hootsuite it comes up BLANK when they don't have anything there in the title area of the tab.
Basically, when I click from Google on an inn, I get the opening page, nice photos, property description; then variously things to do, photos of food, etc. Some simply don't say where they are! At best they say a town name--beautiful, historic Somethingville. Ditto the blogs--which I might add, I don't need to know EVERY detail about what you are posting---way too much information and you lose me. I wonder what is the point, or will there be one?
I don't use twitter yet, and for me Hootsuite is still what the owls do when courting... I will get there eventually...

Are you referring to the title tab in a browser when you open a website?
If so, talk to me, I hear ya, I am on Twitter and when I use Hootsuite it comes up BLANK when they don't have anything there in the title area of the tab.
Basically, when I click from Google on an inn, I get the opening page, nice photos, property description; then variously things to do, photos of food, etc. Some simply don't say where they are! At best they say a town name--beautiful, historic Somethingville. Ditto the blogs--which I might add, I don't need to know EVERY detail about what you are posting---way too much information and you lose me. I wonder what is the point, or will there be one?
I don't use twitter yet, and for me Hootsuite is still what the owls do when courting... I will get there eventually...
white pine said:
Hootsuite is still what the owls do when courting.
cheers.gif
Love it!

Back