Tips, again

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muirford

Reaction score
As a lot of you know, I am a Howner, usually (good names, K!) - an owner with help. We do all the cooking, check-ins, etc. but we have housekeepers. This weekend my housekeeper is off so we are Drowners - doing it all ourselves. This Sunday is, of course, the one Sunday when we have four rooms checking in after a full weekend, so we are turning all the rooms today. Did two yesterday and the fluffs. So, no tips yesterday - no big deal. Today, five of six rooms left at least $20. Totalled $104 in tips. We have a don't ask, don't tell policy on tips with our staff, so they are responsible for reporting them, not me - I don't know if this is typical or not. I believe we will be going out to dinner tonight.

Not typical at all I can tell you. Me, who picked up a penny off the floor today when 3 of the 4 rooms that were here yesterday and SAW the 'housekeeper' didn't leave a thing. (I was out of town and my friend's daughter did the breakfast serving and helped with the cleaning.)
Sorry, the tips are not usual, the 'don't ask, don't tell' is as far as I'm concerned.

Not typical at all I can tell you. Me, who picked up a penny off the floor today when 3 of the 4 rooms that were here yesterday and SAW the 'housekeeper' didn't leave a thing. (I was out of town and my friend's daughter did the breakfast serving and helped with the cleaning.)
Sorry, the tips are not usual, the 'don't ask, don't tell' is as far as I'm concerned..
The one room that saw us doing the fluffs - most of them were out all day - was the lowest tip of the bunch, $2.

We get an occasional tip now and then. Nothing regular by any means. High $20, low, change, from a smart a$$.
Carol

Woo hoo! Dinner out :) I would expect tips in your area. Here, it is probably pretty rare. I have had one $20 tip and several nice gifts.
Right now, I'd be happy with guests!!

Tips are rare here too but I have received $40 a couple of times. Many, many gifts.

Back