To Hot Tub or not to Hot Tub....

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We too have the silver ion sanitizer and also the ozonator on our hot tub. Of course, It is only me that uses it.
As far as your questions. I wouldn't charge any extra to guests because of it. That is just an added amenity for them and say cost of doing business. I would set a limit on the hours of use so that no one is disturbed at night. Say 11 pm. Deadline...or whatever. I forget how many rooms you have, but if not many, then I don't think a reservation is necessary, but some time of sign limiting the amount of time in the hot tub so someone won't "hog it" for themselves.
Actually I think 15 -20 min is the max recomended time for being in a hot tub according to health experts. So it makes me wonder why they put flat screen tv's in some of them. You shouldn't sit in there for hours on end watching a game or something..
catlady said:
We too have the silver ion sanitizer and also the ozonator on our hot tub. Of course, It is only me that uses it.
As far as your questions. I wouldn't charge any extra to guests because of it. That is just an added amenity for them and say cost of doing business. I would set a limit on the hours of use so that no one is disturbed at night. Say 11 pm. Deadline...or whatever. I forget how many rooms you have, but if not many, then I don't think a reservation is necessary, but some time of sign limiting the amount of time in the hot tub so someone won't "hog it" for themselves.
Actually I think 15 -20 min is the max recomended time for being in a hot tub according to health experts. So it makes me wonder why they put flat screen tv's in some of them. You shouldn't sit in there for hours on end watching a game or something.
I have 5 rooms and the tb does have the ozonator.
Most friends and family I spoke to they said to charge $10.00 per person or room for the use instaed of raising the room cost.
yes, it is an extra ammenity and a speny one at that. especially when the motors are running.
Mooseberry Inn said:
Most friends and family I spoke to they said to charge $10.00 per person or room for the use instaed of raising the room cost.
yes, it is an extra ammenity and a speny one at that. especially when the motors are running.
I'm of the mind that it is an amenity, period. It is available just like your "complimentary" breakfast is to all your guests. Its like A/C. They are spendy to put in and they do run up the electric bill, but if you get too nit picky about individualizing the cost of running something, then you appear cheap and tacky to people.
The added cost of electricity is buried in the room rate and our higher summer sesson rates more than compensate for the extra usage.
We get many folks who despite it cooling off to the 50's every night refusing to open a window and run the A/C all night, but we don't lay in bed at night fretting over it.
We have a highly energy efficient hot tub and have invested in Energy Star A/C units that are well matched for the room size, so they aren't overworking to provide decent cooling.
Nobody likes to get nickeled and dimed with lots of extra little charges.
Go look at some TA reviews of big resorts that charge "resort fees" "spa & pool usage fees" "mini-bar fees" , etc.
Those kind of things are often critiqued and especially at more expensive properties. I often get the impression from the reviewers that they just want one all inclusive price and no surprises when they go to pay the bill.
Its part of the total package you offer and they can use it or choose not to, but its part of your capital outlays and every guest who stays with you should be contributing to paying for such improvements. Its only fair and the its the easiest way to never have it backfire on you.
How would you even consistently monitor and charge people for it?
Also, unless you stick around all day and night and watch people like a hawk how could you tell who used it and who didn't? Add in the potential problem of somebody being stealthy about sneaking in, soaking and going to great lengths to conceal they had used the tub and you've got another headache.
I can just picture a dispute about it already.
Them: "What's this extra $10 charge on my bill?"
You: "Oh, thats the hot tub usage fee"
Them: "I didn't use the hot tub"
You: "I saw you use it last night"
Them: " No I didn't, and what do you spy on your guests?"
You: " But your "spa" towels were wet when I cleaned your room"
Them: We used them after a shower"
See how silly it could get?
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Mooseberry Inn said:
I'm of the mind that it is an amenity, period. It is available just like your "complimentary" breakfast is to all your guests. Its like A/C. They are spendy to put in and they do run up the electric bill, but if you get too nit picky about individualizing the cost of running something, then you appear cheap and tacky to people.
The added cost of electricity is buried in the room rate and our higher summer sesson rates more than compensate for the extra usage.
We get many folks who despite it cooling off to the 50's every night refusing to open a window and run the A/C all night, but we don't lay in bed at night fretting over it.
We have a highly energy efficient hot tub and have invested in Energy Star A/C units that are well matched for the room size, so they aren't overworking to provide decent cooling.
Go look at some TA reviews of big resorts that charge "resort fees" "spa & pool usage fees" "mini-bar fees" , etc.
Those kind of things are often critiqued and especially at more expensive properties. I often get the impression from the reviewers that they just want one all inclusive price and no surprises when they go to pay the bill.
Its part of the total package you offer and they can use it or choose not to, but its part of your capital outlays and every guest who stays with you should be contributing to paying for such improvements. Its only fair and the its the easiest way to never have it backfire on you.
Also, unless you stick around all day and night and watch people like a hawk how could you tell who used it and who didn't? Add in the potential problem of somebody being stealthy about sneaking in, soaking and going to great lengths to conceal they had used the tub and you've got another headache.
I can see where you coming from and it is totally understandable.
I am not out to nickle and dime anyone to death, but on the other hand, every single call I get anymore they demand discounts. Discount this, discount that. Well heck, how about you stay for free and I even give you a few bucks before you leave.
Maybe I just have to raise my rates then because I can't afford to keep giving more and receive less.
We offer cheese platters and wine at arrival, free sodas, freshe baked goodies every day, snacks in their rooms....and then some.
It is hard to tell people over the phone what all we have to offer when all they want is a room rate and diiscount.
I do give discounts and it does not hurt me, but I give discounts to guests who do not ask for one and then still complain we are too expensive, which we are not. Very competitive rates with the other B&B's around.
Energy efficient or not, our rate here is 32 cents per KW.....and rising.
Different rooms have different price tags, no matter where we go. If one or another ammentity would not make a difference, then why have different room rates to begin with> How about a $80.00 across the board for everyone,, sleazy roadside hotel or upscale resort. If it's just another ammenity, why even bother?
I am not out to nickle and dime anyone to death, but on the other hand, every single call I get anymore they demand discounts. Discount this, discount that. Well heck, how about you stay for free and I even give you a few bucks before you leave.
LOL Would you like the keys to the car today? Got any bills you need paid? Can I give you a hand with your luggage and your college tuition?

[/QUOTE]
We did have a guest last summer who wanted to borrow the car. I can't remember why right now but I do remember not saying a word when they asked and them realizing their mistake in asking. Sometimes the guests don't realize the mistake in asking and think there's something wrong with the innkeeper who doesn't bend over backwards.

Actually I think 15 -20 min is the max recomended time for being in a hot tub according to health experts. So it makes me wonder why they put flat screen tv's in some of them. You shouldn't sit in there for hours on end watching a game or something..
catlady said:
Actually I think 15 -20 min is the max recomended time for being in a hot tub according to health experts. So it makes me wonder why they put flat screen tv's in some of them. You shouldn't sit in there for hours on end watching a game or something.
Mooseberry Inn said:
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Mooseberry Inn said:
Maybe I just have to raise my rates then because I can't afford to keep giving more and receive less.
We offer cheese platters and wine at arrival, free sodas, freshe baked goodies every day, snacks in their rooms....and then some.
It is hard to tell people over the phone what all we have to offer when all they want is a room rate and diiscount.
I do give discounts and it does not hurt me, but I give discounts to guests who do not ask for one and then still complain we are too expensive, which we are not. Very competitive rates with the other B&B's around.
Different rooms have different price tags, no matter where we go. If one or another ammentity would not make a difference, then why have different room rates to begin with> How about a $80.00 across the board for everyone,, sleazy roadside hotel or upscale resort. If it's just another ammenity, why even bother?
LOL Would you like the keys to the car today? Got any bills you need paid? Can I give you a hand with your luggage and your college tuition?
We did have a guest last summer who wanted to borrow the car. I can't remember why right now but I do remember not saying a word when they asked and them realizing their mistake in asking. Sometimes the guests don't realize the mistake in asking and think there's something wrong with the innkeeper who doesn't bend over backwards.

[/QUOTE]
Too funny. I wasn't trying to hijack, but I'm still laughing at "maybe we can pay you a few bucks" line

catlady said:
Mooseberry Inn said:
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Mooseberry Inn said:

[/QUOTE]
We did have a guest last summer who wanted to borrow the car.
We are acquainted with the Securtity guy at MountainFest. He was telling me that during a conversation the General (the real thing) said he would like to go watch the Vintage Bike Race the next morning but did not have a car. TR told him, no problem, take my truck. The General looked at him as if he were kidding. TR said it has gas, it has insurance, come get the keys in the morning. Next morning the General comes over and says good morning and just kind of stands around talking and TR said he knew he did not want to ask. TR said I just handed him the keys and a big smile came across his face. When the keys came \back, the General said, I put some gas in it. TR said that was not necessary, but thanks. True story just last month.

catlady said:
Mooseberry Inn said:
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Mooseberry Inn said:
We are acquainted with the Securtity guy at MountainFest. He was telling me that during a conversation the General (the real thing) said he would like to go watch the Vintage Bike Race the next morning but did not have a car. TR told him, no problem, take my truck. The General looked at him as if he were kidding. TR said it has gas, it has insurance, come get the keys in the morning. Next morning the General comes over and says good morning and just kind of stands around talking and TR said he knew he did not want to ask. TR said I just handed him the keys and a big smile came across his face. When the keys came \back, the General said, I put some gas in it. TR said that was not necessary, but thanks. True story just last month.

[/QUOTE]
It's quite a different scenario if someone offers vs the guest just assumes you'll lie down and play dead while they walk all over you. Why I would give a complete stranger the keys to my sole form of transportation goes back to my days of asking my kids if they would loan that same person an equal amount of money as what the car was worth. If you wouldn't trust them with cash, why trust them with the car you will not be able to collect a dime from the insurance on when they crash it? Even if I could collect the insurance it will not buy me a new car. And as things stand right now, if this car dies, I walk. No ifs ands or buts about it. Times are tough all over.

catlady said:
Mooseberry Inn said:
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Mooseberry Inn said:
It's quite a different scenario if someone offers vs the guest just assumes you'll lie down and play dead while they walk all over you. Why I would give a complete stranger the keys to my sole form of transportation goes back to my days of asking my kids if they would loan that same person an equal amount of money as what the car was worth. If you wouldn't trust them with cash, why trust them with the car you will not be able to collect a dime from the insurance on when they crash it? Even if I could collect the insurance it will not buy me a new car. And as things stand right now, if this car dies, I walk. No ifs ands or buts about it. Times are tough all over.

[/QUOTE]
Absolutely would not give keys to a stranger. I just told the story because the General was absolutely shocked at the offer. They are two VERY different scenarios - TR knew the General - and the General had probably $50,000+ worth of motorcycles in that show.

We have an outdoor 6 person hot tub that came with the Inn. We too keep the chemicals at prestene levels checking it daily or at least when guests use it. We do not charge extra to use the tub. Surprisingly enough about only 10-20% of the guests that stay here actually use the hot tub. We have times to use it and its up on a hill so even if it is use after the posted time they will not disturb any other guests.
I think its an amenity to the Inn like breakfast in the morning.

Back