To respond or not to respond, that's the big question

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can someone please message me with a link? I want to report it also - it sounds as though it needs to be!.
BananaE29 said:
Can someone please message me with a link? I want to report it also - it sounds as though it needs to be!
Info sent from me.
OMG...What a complete and utter a$$ hat. I don't even know how to begin to respond to this, as my blood is still boiling. I reported it also. Gawd! What is wrong with people! I see you've received two more reviews since then, so soon it will be buried.

If you do decide to respond, I think I would say something along the lines of "It is unfortunate that you did not enjoy your stay, as several hundred others have."

I agree with what the others posted. Reply, just do it in a way that shows what a butthole they are. If someone sends me the link, I'll report it also. So sorry this happened to you!
sad_smile.gif

The following rule "A...misleading, libelous, defamatory, obscene, ... harassing, or advocates harassment of another person, threatening, invasive of privacy or publicity rights, abusive, inflammatory, fraudulent or otherwise objectionable;"

Well, let's see, it violates so many of these... but the number one is harassing... it's specific harassment of a member of staff, specifies the name of the staff and certainly is threatening that member of staff to not post a reply. It is also abusive of that member of staff. It most certainly violates the rules posted on their own damn website.

I am at a loss for words. The review is odd ... petty and spiteful and personal. Do you know this person?
I would likely not respond because the review is hurtful and my hurt would probably show which this person seems to be looking for?
broken_heart.gif

I am at a loss for words. The review is odd ... petty and spiteful and personal. Do you know this person?
I would likely not respond because the review is hurtful and my hurt would probably show which this person seems to be looking for?
broken_heart.gif
Yes, I know who it is. Can I prove it? Nope. Matters not. I'm composing a reply now that is probably shorter and sweeter than is warranted. 10 years ago I would have flamed the reviewer but I'm a different person now.

This would be my response:
Our thousands of happy guests over the past twelve years, along with the respect of our local fellow innkeepers speak for us. Although we would never cower to bullies, we will not dignify this tirade with a further response.

From the horse's mouth:
We have completed our investigation into your concern and have also evaluated all other aspects of the review in question. The review complies with our submission guidelines.
TripAdvisor has a goal of providing our visitors with the most comprehensive travel information available.
As such, we do allow references to competitors in reviews, as long as it is relevant to the reviewer's experience.
So, insult away, mention the competition, you don't even have to stay with them! It's all fair.
As they won't remove it the ball is in my court to insure the reviewer now stays looking like the one with a screw loose. Thanks everyone for your support!

broken_heart.gif
Yes, I know who it is. Can I prove it? Nope. Matters not. I'm composing a reply now that is probably shorter and sweeter than is warranted. 10 years ago I would have flamed the reviewer but I'm a different person now.
as in a nasty piece of work you know or someone who actually stayed? also are the steps sorted now would be an opp to say so.

I have a concern. It looks like the reviewer is going in and 'voting' that their review is helpful. I don't know who else would! All I could think to do was vote that the other reviews on the main page were helpful. And I discovered I could vote yet again for a review being helpful where I had already voted, no login required. Does this keep the nasty review front and center if it shows that it's helpful?
Sorry to add to the mess.

I have a concern. It looks like the reviewer is going in and 'voting' that their review is helpful. I don't know who else would! All I could think to do was vote that the other reviews on the main page were helpful. And I discovered I could vote yet again for a review being helpful where I had already voted, no login required. Does this keep the nasty review front and center if it shows that it's helpful?
Sorry to add to the mess..
Dont know but ive voted for the 5 spot reviews just in case

Dont know but ive voted for the 5 spot reviews just in case

I'm not sure if voting for helpful does anything. My guess is that it won't get removed if it's voted helpful. Not that it's going to get removed.

Hummm seems as though TA has changed their sort features. They use to have sort by language, recent etc....
Looks like now it defaults to recent and in my case English and All reviews.
In this case this horrible review will be off the top in no time.
I wonder how many people use the 'read reviews that mention' feature?

I'm not sure if voting for helpful does anything. My guess is that it won't get removed if it's voted helpful. Not that it's going to get removed.
thumbs_up.gif
Like! (Since on Trip, I can't vote anything on manager response except report as inappropriate.) Keep up the good work!

Hummm seems as though TA has changed their sort features. They use to have sort by language, recent etc....
Looks like now it defaults to recent and in my case English and All reviews.
In this case this horrible review will be off the top in no time.
I wonder how many people use the 'read reviews that mention' feature?
Whenever I look at reviews I read the first two then the really bad ones. I'm probably not all that different from everyone else. ;-)
As long as the chart is visible people will still read those bad ones.

People read the bad ones, but they're pretty savvy about them. Even when they click to read the 1-stars, they usually click on the reviewer's name to see if they're a crab. If you're their only bad review, it gets noticed, but if many of their reviews are generally pissy, people figure out its the guest, not the host.

Reported also. If I was looking for a place to stay and read this review I would think the reviewer was a complete ASS! Keep your chin up.

broken_heart.gif
Would not call your response "sweet". Good news is, you haven't lost a partial Owl Eye nor has it affected your ranking. Curious if the perpetrator was a he or a she?

broken_heart.gif
Would not call your response "sweet". Good news is, you haven't lost a partial Owl Eye nor has it affected your ranking. Curious if the perpetrator was a he or a she?
We did lose a place when the review went up, but we gained it back again overnight. But one never knows with TA when the algorithm will bite. Who wrote the review? Best guess is a family group. I think they're all taking turns. But, no, they did not stay when they stated they did.

Back