To Tip or not to Tip

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i use bree's wording on notes.
sometimes there is a tip, sometimes not. it's not for me, it's for the chambermaids. if they got $5 a day, they'd be flying!!! that seems super generous to me. if anything, they mostly get $2 or $3, occasionally $5. for someone who stayed 2 or 3 nites. i've been chambermaiding by myself lately and there is not usually a tip..
seashanty said:
sometimes there is a tip, sometimes not. it's not for me, it's for the chambermaids. if they got $5 a day, they'd be flying!!! that seems super generous to me. if anything, they mostly get $2 or $3, occasionally $5. for someone who stayed 2 or 3 nites. i've been chambermaiding by myself lately and there is not usually a tip.
I'll just throw in my observation again...if the guests SEE a housekeeper it is more likely there will be a tip. If the housekeeper shows up after the guests have departed, the guests do not even know the housekeeper exists, they assume it's all us and leave nothing. I think we may have gotten around $10 in Sept, total. My 'tip note' no longer mentions the housekeeper and it is now just a 'welcome' note.
Bree said:
I'll just throw in my observation again...if the guests SEE a housekeeper it is more likely there will be a tip.
Inflatable housekeeper? Apron hanging outside the hall closet with a "Housekeeper" pin on it? Wig and a French accent?
stephanie said:
Bree said:
I'll just throw in my observation again...if the guests SEE a housekeeper it is more likely there will be a tip.
Inflatable housekeeper? Apron hanging outside the hall closet with a "Housekeeper" pin on it? Wig and a French accent?
I bet the tips would be a LOT better with the latter...
One of my good friends got an extra-special tip about nine months after she wore a French maid outfit to our Halloween party...
embaressed_smile.gif

sometimes there is a tip, sometimes not. it's not for me, it's for the chambermaids. if they got $5 a day, they'd be flying!!! that seems super generous to me. if anything, they mostly get $2 or $3, occasionally $5. for someone who stayed 2 or 3 nites. i've been chambermaiding by myself lately and there is not usually a tip..
seashanty said:
sometimes there is a tip, sometimes not. it's not for me, it's for the chambermaids. if they got $5 a day, they'd be flying!!! that seems super generous to me. if anything, they mostly get $2 or $3, occasionally $5. for someone who stayed 2 or 3 nites. i've been chambermaiding by myself lately and there is not usually a tip.
I'll just throw in my observation again...if the guests SEE a housekeeper it is more likely there will be a tip. If the housekeeper shows up after the guests have departed, the guests do not even know the housekeeper exists, they assume it's all us and leave nothing. I think we may have gotten around $10 in Sept, total. My 'tip note' no longer mentions the housekeeper and it is now just a 'welcome' note.
Bree said:
stephanie said:
Bree said:
One of my good friends got an extra-special tip about nine months after she wore a French maid outfit to our Halloween party...
embaressed_smile.gif

muirford said:
embaressed_smile.gif
Uh oh.

seashanty said:
Bree said:
stephanie said:
Bree said:
embaressed_smile.gif

roflmao...that is a riot! Oh, or maybe not....

seashanty said:
Bree said:
stephanie said:
Bree said:
embaressed_smile.gif

roflmao...that is a riot! Oh, or maybe not....
As long as I was not the one receiving the "extra" prize, it is funny.....

seashanty said:
Bree said:
stephanie said:
Bree said:
embaressed_smile.gif

muirford said:
embaressed_smile.gif
Uh oh.
It was okay - from her husband (although they are just recently divorced) and they were happy about it. Emily's in college now, so it's been awhile. The tipping happened at their home, not ours, thank goodness. Best party we ever threw, though!

Thank you for the warm welcome. I have been reading through this forum and you are all very lively innkeepers here. I was on another forum and it was dead. Activity came and went sporadically, and a subject never went very far. Appreciate all the information I have found here so far. Is there anyone here running a bed and breakfast in California? Just wondering.

We have small envelopes (invitation size) that I use Print Shop to print a seasonal picture or border on and change them every few months. The Envelope Says Housekeeping in the center, then in italics underneath says "We hope you have a very pleasant stay! Your housekeepers Janie, Judie, and Sarah".
Our housekeepers do very well with tips, $5/night seems to be the average. I like having the envelopes because when we didn't people would ask us where they could leave something. I also like having our housekeepers' names on the envelopes so then guests know there are housekeepers and it's not DH and I doing the rooms. We used to get asked that frequently before we had the envelopes as well.

Back