Toilet With Overflow Protection...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The second drain see too small. Like it would clog up immediately with toilet paper and other niceties floating around in the bowl.

The second drain see too small. Like it would clog up immediately with toilet paper and other niceties floating around in the bowl..
I would think that it would just skim from the top, so it doesn't overflow.

don't know about that design but mine don't have an over flow any more - it goes into the bowl from the tank and away.

don't know about that design but mine don't have an over flow any more - it goes into the bowl from the tank and away..
Basically, it's a few holes at the top in the back that go to a separate drain, in case of overflow. Like the holes at the top of a sink, except you actually put in a second drain for it.

Seems like the overflow ("water" only gets through the holes) could go into the same drain, but a little farther downline. That would work most of the time, by bypassing the trap, and wouldn't require a second drain.
But, as usual, they didn't ask me!

Seems like the overflow ("water" only gets through the holes) could go into the same drain, but a little farther downline. That would work most of the time, by bypassing the trap, and wouldn't require a second drain.
But, as usual, they didn't ask me!.
That's exactly what it does -- the overflow bypasses the toilet's regular trap, but then goes in to the same drain. You install one of these toilets over an existing standard toilet flange without having to modify your plumbing at all -- just take out your old toilet and put this one in its place.

That's exactly what it does -- the overflow bypasses the toilet's regular trap, but then goes in to the same drain. You install one of these toilets over an existing standard toilet flange without having to modify your plumbing at all -- just take out your old toilet and put this one in its place.
Harborfields said:
That's exactly what it does.
Typical. Every good idea I have has already been had by someone else! I can't tell you how many things I've invented...the second time.

So if it bypasses the trap, how does it keep out the sewer gases?

The overflow path has it's own trap built in:
page_sm_12.jpg

Not sure how it get's primed or maintained though? edit- it looks like it gets charged whenever the toilet is flushed...

page_sm_12.jpg

Not sure how it get's primed or maintained though? edit- it looks like it gets charged whenever the toilet is flushed...
Harborfields said:
page_sm_12.jpg

Yeah, they could solve this with another small intake just above water level, to keep the mini-trap filled by every flush.
They need to be paying us for this analysis.
In my own case, I have Sloan Flushmate pressurized flushes. Anything that will go through the first opening will go on down the line. Never have to worry about overflows. Knock on wood...

The second drain see too small. Like it would clog up immediately with toilet paper and other niceties floating around in the bowl..
irisevelynn said:
The second drain see too small. Like it would clog up immediately with toilet paper and other niceties floating around in the bowl.
I'm with you on that one. Had a toilet block about 3 times in 11 years and never overflow, so seems like waste of money to me.

irisevelynn said:
I'm with you on that one. Had a toilet block about 3 times in 11 years and never overflow, so seems like waste of money to me.
I've had a toilet block and overflow, twice in two days with the same client.

irisevelynn said:
Jon Sable said:
It seems like the client's problem, not the toilet.....but you can't say that to the client so the blame goes to the toilet.

We installed four of these in our historic B&B for two reasons. One, it does have the overflow protection. It was explained by the distributor that it's more of an overflow assist. the other reason is that it's a dual flush toilet. You lift up for number one and push down for the conventional flush for number two. There were other dual flush commodes like Geberit and Toto but this was the only one with the overflow and was a lot less expensive.
For those in the States, the national distributor has them at great prices. The reason is that Lowes, the big box home improvement chain, cancelled their purchases because they weren't selling well so now they have plenty available.

We installed four of these in our historic B&B for two reasons. One, it does have the overflow protection. It was explained by the distributor that it's more of an overflow assist. the other reason is that it's a dual flush toilet. You lift up for number one and push down for the conventional flush for number two. There were other dual flush commodes like Geberit and Toto but this was the only one with the overflow and was a lot less expensive.
For those in the States, the national distributor has them at great prices. The reason is that Lowes, the big box home improvement chain, cancelled their purchases because they weren't selling well so now they have plenty available..
DennisnRose said:
For those in the States, the national distributor has them at great prices. The reason is that Lowes, the big box home improvement chain, cancelled their purchases because they weren't selling well so now they have plenty available.
thumbs_up.gif

gonna remember this! possibly the worst job in innkeeping is unclogging a toilet and cleaning up the 'mess' from overflow and then disinfecting everything (after i get sick to my stomach) ....

My toilets use a pressure assist mechanism and supposedly can't be stopped up. That is, anything that will leave the bowl will leave the property. So far never had a problem.

Back