Top 5 wish list

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To K, and others....
Do your horse people travel with their dogs?
When I was in the business the barn dog always went to the shows. But that was west coast and not the hunter/dressage set.
It seems a bit contrary in my own mind about the kids/animals thing. Since this will be a farm stay it would be natural to have child guests to learn about the critters. But since it is a farm stay dogs are also part of that equation. Forgot to mention there are existing kennels on the property, 3 runs off what is now the caretaker quarters (2 bedroom, 1 bath, living, kitchen) in the barns (new construction insullated metal pole building).
HOWEVER my issue is the dog/kid factor a bigger headache than it is a draw?
Maybe the draw should be the farm and let the rest shake out in the wash. See who my guests really are, offer a kid friendly room and a dog friendly room, but not in the main lodging building..
Sorry to be late with this - been getting ready to leave tomorrow and there is too much to do at the last minute!
Re horse travelers & dogs - Yes, they do travel with their dogs. The dogs either stay at the barn or in the horse trailer overnight. No one has had a problem with that. The only exception was Katie because she was up in years and it was December. Would never have known she was in the house. She came 3 of the 6 times they stayed and the last time almost had to be carried updatirs and down (golden lab). The rest of the times, travel was too difficult for her.
The horse people will be OK with the kennel - but FiFi's mommy will not. Sounds like the best of both world's to have both covered. If it is separate entrances, you will probably be OK with both kids and dogs. I suggested not both (and you may not have both at the same time anyway) because kids (some of the freaking brats anyway) will pester the heck out of a dog and Mommy goes Apesh** because the little darling got snapped or growled at - we told my cousin's wife & the kids our dog did NOT like little kids and the dog was in his area of the house but the brat (who was supposed to be in the yard) went where she should not and the dog had enough and nipped her. Guest dogs must be leashed unless
The kids we have had here have been great. No kiid has ever bothered anything - including a doll sitting on the edge of a shelf at a 2-year old reach level.
Re beds - if room king or queen with double if king/queen will not fit or 2 queen. Double beds are almost history except at motels.
These are just my Podunk opinions.
Thanks K, I avoided the word "brats" but honestly I have seen so many that I wonder who raised them cause it certainly wasn't a respectful adult.
I doubt FiFi would be a happy puppy on a farm, but at least there is a segregated area for dogs and kids as to not disturb the more serenity seeking guests. I think that since I have the kennels and the big playground is in place I will just designate the proposed cottage kid/dog friendly. Then no one in the main house or manor house will be bothered.
That would leave the other rooms for more adult accommodations. I see nothing wrong with segregating to make the non-kid toting, non-dog loving guests happy. The rooms in the manor are more than large enough to have two queen beds and perfect for a gf weekend, as is the third floor of the main house.
Thanks, back to the wish list!
Have a safe and fun trip!!!
Thanks. Before I forget again - put personal shower heads in EVERY shower so the guest has a choice of regular shower or "personal". YOU will be glad you did it every time you clean said showers!! Scrub down and spray clean!
My knee is screaming! Coffees are roasted, I am packed, just have to take her fruit upstairs in the morning and the room is ready. Will bake the muffins, get the coffee ready for assembly, and get the breakfast ready and in fridge for the oven on Saturday morning. Will set the table tonight. Boarding pass printed - I am smokin'!!! I even made a vat of veggie soup for DH for while I am gone!

To K, and others....
When I was in the business the barn dog always went to the shows. But that was west coast and not the hunter/dressage set.
It seems a bit contrary in my own mind about the kids/animals thing. Since this will be a farm stay it would be natural to have child guests to learn about the critters. But since it is a farm stay dogs are also part of that equation. Forgot to mention there are existing kennels on the property, 3 runs off what is now the caretaker quarters (2 bedroom, 1 bath, living, kitchen) in the barns (new construction insullated metal pole building).
Maybe the draw should be the farm and let the rest shake out in the wash. See who my guests really are, offer a kid friendly room and a dog friendly room, but not in the main lodging building..
Sorry to be late with this - been getting ready to leave tomorrow and there is too much to do at the last minute!
Re horse travelers & dogs - Yes, they do travel with their dogs. The dogs either stay at the barn or in the horse trailer overnight. No one has had a problem with that. The only exception was Katie because she was up in years and it was December. Would never have known she was in the house. She came 3 of the 6 times they stayed and the last time almost had to be carried updatirs and down (golden lab). The rest of the times, travel was too difficult for her.
The horse people will be OK with the kennel - but FiFi's mommy will not. Sounds like the best of both world's to have both covered. If it is separate entrances, you will probably be OK with both kids and dogs. I suggested not both (and you may not have both at the same time anyway) because kids (some of the freaking brats anyway) will pester the heck out of a dog and Mommy goes Apesh** because the little darling got snapped or growled at - we told my cousin's wife & the kids our dog did NOT like little kids and the dog was in his area of the house but the brat (who was supposed to be in the yard) went where she should not and the dog had enough and nipped her. Guest dogs must be leashed unless
The kids we have had here have been great. No kiid has ever bothered anything - including a doll sitting on the edge of a shelf at a 2-year old reach level.
Re beds - if room king or queen with double if king/queen will not fit or 2 queen. Double beds are almost history except at motels.
Thanks K, I avoided the word "brats" but honestly I have seen so many that I wonder who raised them cause it certainly wasn't a respectful adult.
I doubt FiFi would be a happy puppy on a farm, but at least there is a segregated area for dogs and kids as to not disturb the more serenity seeking guests. I think that since I have the kennels and the big playground is in place I will just designate the proposed cottage kid/dog friendly. Then no one in the main house or manor house will be bothered.
That would leave the other rooms for more adult accommodations. I see nothing wrong with segregating to make the non-kid toting, non-dog loving guests happy. The rooms in the manor are more than large enough to have two queen beds and perfect for a gf weekend, as is the third floor of the main house.
Thanks. Before I forget again - put personal shower heads in EVERY shower so the guest has a choice of regular shower or "personal". YOU will be glad you did it every time you clean said showers!! Scrub down and spray clean!
My knee is screaming! Coffees are roasted, I am packed, just have to take her fruit upstairs in the morning and the room is ready. Will bake the muffins, get the coffee ready for assembly, and get the breakfast ready and in fridge for the oven on Saturday morning. Will set the table tonight. Boarding pass printed - I am smokin'!!! I even made a vat of veggie soup for DH for while I am gone!
gillumhouse said:
Oh yes the personal shower head has been the best investment I have made in this old house. Love it, wash the dog,wash the body, wash the shower, in that order. My next thing (why I am doing this just to leave this house I have no clue) is to get an old telephone style hand held shower head for the clawfoot tub. I so want to take it with me, I love that thing on a hot summer day, so cool and relaxing.
Sounds like your DH will only have to warm and serve. You are the epitome of organization, bet you will sleep well on the flight. Safe travels.

To K, and others....
gillumhouse said:
Oh yes the personal shower head has been the best investment I have made in this old house. Love it, wash the dog,wash the body, wash the shower, in that order. My next thing (why I am doing this just to leave this house I have no clue) is to get an old telephone style hand held shower head for the clawfoot tub. I so want to take it with me, I love that thing on a hot summer day, so cool and relaxing.
Sounds like your DH will only have to warm and serve. You are the epitome of organization, bet you will sleep well on the flight. Safe travels.
My next thing (why I am doing this just to leave this house I have no clue) is to get an old telephone style hand held shower head for the clawfoot tub.
I have one on my claw-foot. I got the brass one in 1995 or 1996 - cannot remember which. It was $400 at Lo we's. At that time, we had one bathroom and that was my solution to the folks who would want a shower. Now it is in the private bathroom so ons can now so a long soak. I used to only put out the bubble bath & bath salts if there was only one room in house. Now I have several aromas of bubble bath in the private bathroom. But there is also a 48 inch shower in that bathroom. Replaced the tub in the original bathroom with a 60 inch shower.

To K, and others....
gillumhouse said:
My next thing (why I am doing this just to leave this house I have no clue) is to get an old telephone style hand held shower head for the clawfoot tub.
I have one on my claw-foot. I got the brass one in 1995 or 1996 - cannot remember which. It was $400 at Lo we's. At that time, we had one bathroom and that was my solution to the folks who would want a shower. Now it is in the private bathroom so ons can now so a long soak. I used to only put out the bubble bath & bath salts if there was only one room in house. Now I have several aromas of bubble bath in the private bathroom. But there is also a 48 inch shower in that bathroom. Replaced the tub in the original bathroom with a 60 inch shower.
gillumhouse said:
Not cheap are they? I have priced them and the good ones are still in that range and higher. Hence my clawfoot is just a soaker, but that is just fine with me, I love it all the same. May have to figure out how to take it with me.

When I have kids I make them a towel elephant. They are a big hit. I had two "boys" here (around 17 or so) and at breakfast I told them I knew they were really too old for the elephants. One of them looked at me and said, "Oh no, we're not!"
Oh, and I'm a lot more likely to make pancakes when I have kids at the table...
=)
Kk.

When I have kids I make them a towel elephant. They are a big hit. I had two "boys" here (around 17 or so) and at breakfast I told them I knew they were really too old for the elephants. One of them looked at me and said, "Oh no, we're not!"
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
Gotta have directions for the elephant!

Windows and lots of light. Private balcony/outdoor space. Skylight. Hot water that is instant, or pretty darn close. And a touch of whimsy somewhere in the room. Think the ideas of a mini fridge that others have mentioned is a good idea, particularly if you're far from town.

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
Weaver said:
I googled it, but none of the videos that popped up are quite how I make it. (I fold my legs from the sides, which makes my elephant less tall than the ones in the videos.)
Lay a bath towel on a bed. Fold the long ends in toward the middle, about 4-6 inches on each side.
Starting on the short ends, roll the towel from each side toward the middle until the rolls meet in the middle. Pick it up from underneath and fold down... these are the legs.
Take a hand towel and lay it horizontally in front of you. Put one hand (I use my left) at the middle of the top (long) edge. Starting at a corner on the same edge (I start with upper right corner), roll the towel in to the middle. Switch the hand holding the top and roll the other side into the middle until the two sides meet. The tighter you roll, the more you can make his trunk stand up.
Holding firmly so it doesn't unroll, flip the towel over and bring the non-pointy edge down toward the tip.... this forms his face. Fuss with his ears and curve his trunk, then balance the head on his legs.
I think on cruises they use pieces of felt for eyes, but I don't bother.
You can see a picture of mine here: http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=10150799991955879&set=a.494646140878.290624.49780465878&type=3&theater
=)
Kk.

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
Weaver said:
I googled it, but none of the videos that popped up are quite how I make it. (I fold my legs from the sides, which makes my elephant less tall than the ones in the videos.)
Lay a bath towel on a bed. Fold the long ends in toward the middle, about 4-6 inches on each side.
Starting on the short ends, roll the towel from each side toward the middle until the rolls meet in the middle. Pick it up from underneath and fold down... these are the legs.
Take a hand towel and lay it horizontally in front of you. Put one hand (I use my left) at the middle of the top (long) edge. Starting at a corner on the same edge (I start with upper right corner), roll the towel in to the middle. Switch the hand holding the top and roll the other side into the middle until the two sides meet. The tighter you roll, the more you can make his trunk stand up.
Holding firmly so it doesn't unroll, flip the towel over and bring the non-pointy edge down toward the tip.... this forms his face. Fuss with his ears and curve his trunk, then balance the head on his legs.
I think on cruises they use pieces of felt for eyes, but I don't bother.
You can see a picture of mine here: http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=10150799991955879&set=a.494646140878.290624.49780465878&type=3&theater
=)
Kk.
way too cute, will have to try that out on my friends little ones! Thanks!!!

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
Weaver said:
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
Towel Oragami, a whole new skill set for innkeepers!

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
Weaver said:
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
[/quote]
Every cruise ship does this. It is not new. Sorry to burst the bubble. Take the sunglasses found in the room and put them on the towel animal, etc. as well, it is cute for kid-guests.
Here is an example

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
Weaver said:
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
Every cruise ship does this. It is not new. Sorry to burst the bubble. Take the sunglasses found in the room and put them on the towel animal, etc. as well, it is cute for kid-guests.
Here is an example

[/QUOTE]
Joey Bloggs said:
Here is an example
[/quote]
Bubble burster! OK so I haven't been on a cruise lately. Still better late to the party than not at all. :)

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
Weaver said:
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
Here is an example

[/QUOTE]
You should see what we do with the kid's stuffed animals. Sunglasses, reading books, swinging for chandeliers, etc.

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
Weaver said:
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
Here is an example
You should see what we do with the kid's stuffed animals. Sunglasses, reading books, swinging for chandeliers, etc.

[/QUOTE]
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Chandeliers Hmmmmm.

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
A friend gave me this book which I used mostly for folding the bath mats. Have fun with it when you open your place....if you have time.
wink_smile.gif

Back