TRAFFIC NOISE

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(hijack mode) We've had people visit here from Kansas who said our hills and trees were "closing in" on them, making them uncomfortable. They're used to the great treeless plains of Kansas. (/hijack mode).
Have had Flatlanders tell me the same thing about here. I tell them our hills are saying -"That's OK, honey, I am here to take care of you." We very, very rarely have tornados because our hills protect us.

i've been thinking about this post for a bit ...
i have to sleep with a white noise machine or a fan ... on high ... i've been this way for years.
i go crazy with lots of sounds.
out in the country, if it's too quiet, i can't sleep.
sounds crazy, doesn't it?
in the city, sounds of conversation, traffic, younameit, i can't sleep either.
i'm dependent on the hum of something to mask the sounds.
i used to warn my guests that they were coming to a working harbor and that the lobstermen and fishermen headed out very very early in the morning and were not quiet ... ever ... so i did have fans for humming etc ... also, trucks made early morning deliveries across the road. so they should try to get up with the sun and go to bed early.
i expected complaints from guests about all the noise ... it bothered me a lot ...
but i had NO complaints. my guests tended to come from cities and places with constant traffic and lights, the hum of it underneath all the time. they were not disturbed.
so even though you worry your potential guests will be bothered by the hum of traffic, they might not be.
just a thought.

You can be rural and still in a town, it is most difficult to express your location to almost everyone. Saying farmhouse on 64 acres no one will except road noise. I would be clear about it, however you word it.
If you are in a small town that happens to use your road as a short cut to go to the mill every morning and evening during the week, well you might have to spell it out. COUNTRY ROADS ARE COUNTRY ROADS.
I would not be happy if I stayed in a B&B with no forewarning of noise. By noise, I mean man-made noise, not cows or birds and crickets. But if you say you are in-town (and btw being iN TOWN is a good thing, being out where no one ever knows you are there may not be as great when it comes to occupancy) so use it to your benefit! Let people know you are there, get the biggest nicest sign you are allowed!
I was at SHOT TOWER STATE PARK which is an historic park on the New River in VA (no overnight lodging or anything) and right next to it is I-77 and there was a back up of semi's as far as the eye could see AND HEAR. It absolutely ruined my historic moment for me. I went, I saw, I left. I was not thrilled with a trail of trucks nearby.
So whatever you do, say it in a way that is clear and when people say "You never said..." You can assure them you have it clearly stated on your website and other materials. If not, then get ready to refund money. I would not say anything, but I would prob write a TA review about it later on, esp if I was on NO SLEEP due to noise.
All the best!

You can be rural and still in a town, it is most difficult to express your location to almost everyone. Saying farmhouse on 64 acres no one will except road noise. I would be clear about it, however you word it.
If you are in a small town that happens to use your road as a short cut to go to the mill every morning and evening during the week, well you might have to spell it out. COUNTRY ROADS ARE COUNTRY ROADS.
I would not be happy if I stayed in a B&B with no forewarning of noise. By noise, I mean man-made noise, not cows or birds and crickets. But if you say you are in-town (and btw being iN TOWN is a good thing, being out where no one ever knows you are there may not be as great when it comes to occupancy) so use it to your benefit! Let people know you are there, get the biggest nicest sign you are allowed!
I was at SHOT TOWER STATE PARK which is an historic park on the New River in VA (no overnight lodging or anything) and right next to it is I-77 and there was a back up of semi's as far as the eye could see AND HEAR. It absolutely ruined my historic moment for me. I went, I saw, I left. I was not thrilled with a trail of trucks nearby.
So whatever you do, say it in a way that is clear and when people say "You never said..." You can assure them you have it clearly stated on your website and other materials. If not, then get ready to refund money. I would not say anything, but I would prob write a TA review about it later on, esp if I was on NO SLEEP due to noise.
All the best!.
we are right on a road however put in ultra thick double glazing last year which helps a lot - the main noise problem is (a) its super quiet then one idiot drunk shouts really loud and breaks the silence or (b) once or twice last week next doors dog got out and started barking and as its a french bull mastif its really loud in the silence! had to ring her and tell her to shut the dog up! was really cross at 2am on a saturday night!

We passed on buying one inn because of road noise. We knew many guests wouldn't have a problem with it, but some would.

Every noise is very harmful to a man so traffic noise is one of them. we need to reduce all of the traffic noise by using noise reduction materials such as noise barrier wall and noise barrier fence.

Back