Trip advisor and why I hate it - grrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree that TA is here to stay, but I also think it needs changes, and those changes won't happen unless people try to push them. I think some people rage against TA because they don't have the option to opt-out, so they feel held hostage.
Properties should be able to opt out of TA and make themselves unavailable for reviews. It might be bad for their business, but that should be their choice.
This would also put some pressure on TA to keep things fair to properties. TA might have quicker response times to complaints about unjustified/fraudulent reviews if it meant they might lose some properties. It would also give properties an out if they were getting a lot of TA blackmail from troublesome/prospective guests.
TA needs the properties as much as the properties need TA. But as it is now, the balance of power is with TA. It would be nice to see them have a little more accountability to the industry..
I totally agree that we should be able to opt out. I guess I did opt in by filling out the form when I just thought it was another place to be listed. I had no idea what kind of gorilla it was going to become. It stirkes me the same way as the credit card companies sending me a form to fill out if I do not want them to sell my info to anyone. What happened to filling out a form saying it is OK to sell my info instead of having to go to all that trouble to say no.

I agree that TA is here to stay, but I also think it needs changes, and those changes won't happen unless people try to push them. I think some people rage against TA because they don't have the option to opt-out, so they feel held hostage.
Properties should be able to opt out of TA and make themselves unavailable for reviews. It might be bad for their business, but that should be their choice.
This would also put some pressure on TA to keep things fair to properties. TA might have quicker response times to complaints about unjustified/fraudulent reviews if it meant they might lose some properties. It would also give properties an out if they were getting a lot of TA blackmail from troublesome/prospective guests.
TA needs the properties as much as the properties need TA. But as it is now, the balance of power is with TA. It would be nice to see them have a little more accountability to the industry..
happyjacks said:
I agree with Swirt... well said all around. And this is a great idea... "This property has opted out of receiving reviews." It says a lot. But then, how would you know to stay away from the place with the roaches?
Sweetie Pie... how were you to know that recently this site has received a barrage of spammers who come on with no intro and push their wares? This is a very active forum and we are very vigilant against trolls and spammers. Sorry for the rough start... Now you know: We're a noisy, outspoken bunch with a lot of opinions, some of whom have been together for years. We are a little wary of newcomers until we know they are not spammers, especially newcomers who come in with a splash and tell us to write letters to authorities. Hang in there and we'll all get used to each other.
Edited to add: I doubt TA is monitoring this thread... but I'm sure plenty of B&B industry folks are.
=)
Kk.

I seriously doubt that trip advisor monitors anything especially this site!!
Why in heavens name would they even care. They are continuing to grow and branch out and they certainly don't need to be concerned about a bunch of innkeeper dishing them on a chat room! Get real.'
I have never known them NOT to print a management response unless it had something inappropriate in it or was an objectionable response. They are so huge a few irate innkeepers don't bother them. They may have talked with PAII, but I have yet to see any real changes in favor of B & B's. ANd, I don't expect to see it.
Sorry, but I think you are just blowing all of this totally out of proportion.

SweetiePie said:
Hold on there Nellie Bell! I wasn't ticked off before, but you have definitely gotten my dander up now. Excuse me, but weren't you the one who started the thread entitled, until today apparently, "Trip Advisor and Why I Hate It".
I guess since I informed you that Trip Advisor was probably monitoring this site, (which I'm sure they are since they most likely monitor anything with their name in it) everyone has pulled in their horns and become all lovey dovey.
Why start a post like that and then attack anyone who agrees with you?
First of all, I'm not that familiar with forums and apologize if I didn't go through all the necessary formalities. My whole purpose in posting was to simply inform you that there was recourse available and I was attacked for doing so, as was Gary over a few misspelled words.
Apparently Trip Advisor respects those who speak their mind. My Management Response was printed verbatim and I don't believe that would have happened 6 months ago before PAII began meeting with them. Also, it must have been effective because business has picked up since then.
Name calling in unnecessary. The word "attack" is a bit much isn't it? I attacked you or someone else? You have me in stitches right now.
I put the WHY I HATE IT back in, just for you and added a grrrrrrrrrrrr! The reason I removed it as it is DRAWING IN people who ONLY come to this forum like gangbusters to join forces against trip advisor, like you yourself did. You were not a member previousely, if you had been and discussed other topics as well - you would have so much more credence. But instead joining for no other reason, not to commune with other innkeepers and share stories, but to bash TA.
Now we have someone else on the bandwagon who has never before today posted a comment on this forum. So I changed the title and some content, which is my prerogative since I started the thread. But just to make you happy I put it back.
wink_smile.gif

Noone here is afraid of trip advisor. It is the elephant in the room and if you get a bad review - deal with it. Post a civilized short and to the point mgmt response that makes the reviewer sound like the ninny, not the owner/innkeeper. Have you done that or have you gone to great lengths to debate every word the bad reviewer wrote? I can probably guess accurately which one.
There are some innkeepers on this forum who post mgmt responses to every guest, not just the ones who they feel lied. They are posted every time.

I totally agree that we should be able to opt out. I guess I did opt in by filling out the form when I just thought it was another place to be listed. I had no idea what kind of gorilla it was going to become. It stirkes me the same way as the credit card companies sending me a form to fill out if I do not want them to sell my info to anyone. What happened to filling out a form saying it is OK to sell my info instead of having to go to all that trouble to say no.
How can you 'opt' out? Even if you never signed up....If someoone takes the time to sign up for TA because they want to post a review about an inn. You will show up. It is a free and open forum..just like here.
Yes it has become a real gorilla and it gets stronger by the day. Others want to follow their lead and on line reviews will only continue to grow. We may not like what others have to say, but I believe if we are providing good service and hospitality, there is nothing to fear. And, even if someone does post a negative review among alot of positive ones, people understand you can't please everyone.
When I travel, TA is the first place I go. If I read nothing but bad reviews for a place, then I too will avoid them because everyone would not be making it up. However if I see a place where most things are positive, I will check it out further and make my OWN decision.

Why in heavens name would they even care. They are continuing to grow and branch out and they certainly don't need to be concerned about a bunch of innkeeper dishing them on a chat room! Get real.'
I have never known them NOT to print a management response unless it had something inappropriate in it or was an objectionable response. They are so huge a few irate innkeepers don't bother them. They may have talked with PAII, but I have yet to see any real changes in favor of B & B's. ANd, I don't expect to see it.
Sorry, but I think you are just blowing all of this totally out of proportion..
If you think Trip Advisor doesn't monitor blogs, check out the previous link called Trip Advisor Tips and Techniques. In it you will find a response in the comments sections from Brian Payea, Trade Relations Manager for Trip Advisor.

SweetiePie said:
Apparently Trip Advisor respects those who speak their mind. My Management Response was printed verbatim and I don't believe that would have happened 6 months ago before PAII began meeting with them. Also, it must have been effective because business has picked up since then.
If TA respects those who speak their minds, why would you go and say we've all 'pulled in our horns'? Makes no sense. If we're speaking our minds and TA is reading (doubtful) they must appreciate all the effort we're putting into getting our opinions out here.
We don't actually know what you said in your mgmt response so it's hard to judge whether it was the content of the response that has gotten you more work, the idea that you actually finally made a mgmt response or the time of year.
Believe me, tho, if your mgmt response had anything inflammatory to it, including taking the guests to task for whatever the issue was, THAT is why TA posted the response...they love Drama, with a capital D. The more incendiary the dialog between guest and mgmt, the better. They have a whole blog devoted to that sort of back and forth.
And, seriously, you cannot think that Gary's letter makes the least sense the way it is written. Good of him to write it, but for Pete's sake, get someone to proof read what you're sending to the governor. Which I offered to do. Would I sign my name to a petition that read the way that diatribe does? Not on your Nellie.

If you think Trip Advisor doesn't monitor blogs, check out the previous link called Trip Advisor Tips and Techniques. In it you will find a response in the comments sections from Brian Payea, Trade Relations Manager for Trip Advisor.
SweetiePie said:
Could you actually post the link to that blog, I can't find what you're referring to, altho I did find a blog from the Rain Forest Inn that contains a lot of info, but no replies from TA.

SweetiePie said:
Could you actually post the link to that blog, I can't find what you're referring to, altho I did find a blog from the Rain Forest Inn that contains a lot of info, but no replies from TA.
That's the correct link. You just have to scroll down past the article to see the comments.

Hello . I found this site today by accident . This is my first post.
After reading how upset every one is about Trip Advisor , myself included it has taken a while to realize what the core problem is that we all face. Everyone including myself continues to complain about the postings . But we all have been looking in the wrong direction .
Why you ask ? Simple Always follow the money trail .
Example ( 1 ) Car = Hotel . ( 2 )
If Trip Advisor stole your car to use as a taxi and generated monies shouldn't royalties be paid ?
This leads to the most relevant problem. Trip advisor took every one owned business names and with them SELL your property with advertising taking in Millions !
Mean while all hotel / B&B / Restaurant owners are left fuming about unjust reviews and not focusing on the real big problem . Theft of our proprietary properties !
Below is the copy of my complaint sent to the Mass Attorney general Yesterday . I urge everyone to send in your complaints . Please don't dwell on the physical reviews . Yes it upsets us all . But we need to concentrate on the real issue that will make all these reviews and listings a mute point .
Every business owner should have the privilege to join or decline any website especially those that sell and use our names to generate monies . Thank you
__________________________________________________________________________________
Our complaint is against :
Trip Advisor
141 Needham Street
Newton Mass .02464
617-670-6300
Fax 781-444.1146
Good Morning ;
We have had 31 years of great success in the hospitality industry . Today it has become very aware to us about a serious on going problem caused by a business head quartered and located in the state of Massachusetts .
The business name is www.TripAdvisor.com . Trip advisor has allowed anonymous creative writers to register , post deceitful , untruthful , fake , fony reviews. Once we become aware of the post we write Trip Advisor requesting removal of these particular postings , supply facts , but they refuse .
But this is just the tip of the iceberg .
Our main complaint is the Following ; Trip advisor , with out any written consensual consent , or verbal authorization has taken our proprietary properties and up loaded our business name . Trip Advisor sells advertising to support their website and take in millions of dollars using my corporation name .
In fact Trip Advisor would never have asked permission to use business corporations names for monetary values from any one if my place of business is the set example?
Trip Advisor appears to me to do what so many musical artist complain about . People go on line , download music with out any royalties paid . This Massachusetts business Trip Advisor has taken our business name , uses it to sell advertising and we get no royalties at all ? This is not a fair trade practice . This is wrong .
I am requesting my complaint to include every business in the hospitality industry , including restaurants ,to be compensated and to have the right to have there corporation name used with out permissions removed as soon as possible . The web site should be closed down .
In summation people have a right to view and voice their opinions as a first amendment , but the reviews are a mute point because of the wrongful use of our corporation name and every corporation who never gave authorization to Trip Advisor for the use of properties not owned . Thank you Gary Grossman.
One more point This is the official link to contact the Massachusetts Attorney General . You can do it on line or by snail mail . Thanks
http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=cagoterminal&L=3&L0=Home&L1=Consumer+Protection&L2=Complaints+%26+Mediation+Services&sid=Cago&b=terminalcontent&f=consumer_consumer_complaint&csid=Cago
gary4ever1 said:
One more point This is the official link to contact the Massachusetts Attorney General . You can do it on line or by snail mail . Thanks
http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=cagoterminal&L=3&L0=Home&L1=Consumer+Protection&L2=Complaints+%26+Mediation+Services&sid=Cago&b=terminalcontent&f=consumer_consumer_complaint&csid=Cago
You wrote: Mean while all hotel / B&B / Restaurant owners are left fuming about unjust reviews and not focusing on the real big problem . Theft of our proprietary properties !
I write: I am not fuming over trip advisor. In fact, there is only ONE person that I can see on this forum who is fuming over TA and they came onto this forum to fume and gather up the troups mentality like you have done with no announcement or 'get to know you' period. People don't listen to bombardment. She did not get everyone on her side so got ticked off, which might possibly happen to you when WE innkeepers reply and do not agree with the bombardment approach.
Hold on there Nellie Bell! I wasn't ticked off before, but you have definitely gotten my dander up now. Excuse me, but weren't you the one who started the thread entitled, until today apparently, "Trip Advisor and Why I Hate It"?
I guess since I informed you that Trip Advisor was probably monitoring this site, (which I'm sure they are since they most likely monitor anything with their name in it) everyone has pulled in their horns and become all lovey dovey.
Why start a thread like that and then attack anyone who agrees with you?
First of all, I'm not that familiar with forums and apologize if I didn't go through all the necessary formalities. My whole purpose in posting was to simply inform you that there was recourse available and I was attacked for doing so, as was Gary over a few misspelled words.

SweetiePie said:
If TA respects those who speak their minds, why would you go and say we've all 'pulled in our horns'? Makes no sense. If we're speaking our minds and TA is reading (doubtful) they must appreciate all the effort we're putting into getting our opinions out here.
We don't actually know what you said in your mgmt response so it's hard to judge whether it was the content of the response that has gotten you more work, the idea that you actually finally made a mgmt response or the time of year.
Believe me, tho, if your mgmt response had anything inflammatory to it, including taking the guests to task for whatever the issue was, THAT is why TA posted the response...they love Drama, with a capital D. The more incendiary the dialog between guest and mgmt, the better. They have a whole blog devoted to that sort of back and forth.
And, seriously, you cannot think that Gary's letter makes the least sense the way it is written. Good of him to write it, but for Pete's sake, get someone to proof read what you're sending to the governor. Which I offered to do. Would I sign my name to a petition that read the way that diatribe does? Not on your Nellie..
This is what attorney Aaron Morris had to say on the subject. He first commented on the Yelp case and this is what really changed my mind about how to word my Management Response.
"Nothing is more valuable than your reputation. You should never allow a defamatory statement to go unchallenged. Silence is perceived as acceptance. If you do nothing about what is being said about you, it will be perceived as true. The goal in a defamation action can be to recover damages, but often that is not the primary goal. The priceless value of a defamation action is to gain back your reputation."
I had posted a Management Response when this first occurred but I didn't feel like I could tell the truth about what really happened. That is what the fight was all about. I wanted it removed and they kept telling me my only recourse was the Management Response.
I later took it down because I wasn't happy with it and recently reposted a revised one which I felt really told the truth about what happened and I think that is what comes across now.

SweetiePie said:
Who are you the Forum nazi? Just because you started the thread doesn't give you the right to decide who can and can't respond to it and exactly how they should do it. No Forum for you! If the other post had you in stitches then this one should have you rolling on the floor.
For your information, I have responded to other topics besides this one. This just happened to be the one the first got my attention.
Again with the name calling. I guess I will have to show you the FAQ's of the forum so you can understand how it works. Once again, noone decides who can and can't respond other than the moderators should they voice their opinion and the owner of the forum.
Abusive Language[/h3]Abusive language directed at any member of this forum is not acceptable. This includes swearing and name calling. Neither lead to good discussion or a feeling of comfort. Swearing is usually taken care of by the site's automatic potty-mouth filter. It will replace instances of swear words with smileys. In the event that the filter does not catch it automatically your post may be flagged as offensive which may cause it to disappear until the site's owner can decide what action to take. In the event of name calling or other abusive language, a warning will be issued either within the forum or via your email account. If the warning goes unheeded your account may be terminated. Longstanding members are likely to be given a bit more leeway than newcomers who start out being nasty. In general, inflammatory or derogatory exchanges are not tolerated.

SweetiePie said:
That's the correct link. You just have to scroll down past the article to see the comments.
SweetiePie said:
There's no link in your post, just bold text. I don't know where I'm supposed to go to see the comments from the TA guy. And I am definitely interested in his telling how they monitor sites and blogs that are making reference to them. We could all keep them very busy...

SweetiePie said:
You should know by now that I don't know how to post links on here, but you can find it in my 3/1/09 post.

SweetiePie said:
For your information, I have responded to other topics besides this one. This just happened to be the one the first got my attention.
That's an interesting claim... a quick search (see upper right hand corner [below the featured inn] for Search) of this site shows you only responding to this one one topic.
Which other topic did you respond to?
=)
Kk.

SweetiePie said:
You should know by now that I don't know how to post links on here, but you can find it in my 3/1/09 post.
SweetiePie said:
I don't think I can search on a date and your name, but I'll try to find it. However, here's a quick how to for posting links...
  • Copy the link you want to post (highlight the URL and click ctrl-c, you can even do this to post a link to a previous post you made)
  • Write whatever intro you want here to show what the link is about.
  • Highlight that text and then click the little 'globe' with the 'link' in the toolbar at the top of the comment box
  • You will get a pop up box that asks for the URL you copied earlier
  • Hit ctrl-v and that will paste the URL in the pop up box. Hit save.
  • Voila! Link is pasted in with appropriate text.
  • Save post and save my sanity at the same time.
    wink_smile.gif

SweetiePie said:
SweetiePie said:
There's no link in your post, just bold text. I don't know where I'm supposed to go to see the comments from the TA guy. And I am definitely interested in his telling how they monitor sites and blogs that are making reference to them. We could all keep them very busy...
Bree said:
SweetiePie said:
She's right, it's in her 3/1/09 post (first of two). Assuming I do this right, it's at: http://myblog.rainforestinn.com/2006/10/28/trip-advisor-tips-and-techniques/
And yes, the TA team really did respond to a blog post. Very interesting...
=)
Kk.

SweetiePie said:
That's an interesting claim... a quick search (see upper right hand corner [below the featured inn] for Search) of this site shows you only responding to this one one topic.
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
SweetiePie said:
=)
Kk.
How to do a blog. It's in the reference section...

SweetiePie said:
SweetiePie said:
Bree said:
SweetiePie said:
She's right, it's in her 3/1/09 post (first of two). Assuming I do this right, it's at: http://myblog.rainforestinn.com/2006/10/28/trip-advisor-tips-and-techniques/
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Bree said:
SweetiePie said:
=)
Kk.
That's the one I found and read, but I didn't see the comments from TA. I'll try again...actually, that blog comes up pretty well in a search for TA.
OK, found the replies. Dated sometime in 2006. Nothing since then. It may be they picked that blog up as he has so many links returning to TA and like any good website they track where the clicks come from.
Which means the RainForestInn people will be back here in a little bit to see why there is so much traffic to their blog from here...

SweetiePie said:
SweetiePie said:
Bree said:
SweetiePie said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Bree said:
SweetiePie said:
=)
Kk.
That's the one I found and read, but I didn't see the comments from TA. I'll try again...actually, that blog comes up pretty well in a search for TA.
OK, found the replies. Dated sometime in 2006. Nothing since then. It may be they picked that blog up as he has so many links returning to TA and like any good website they track where the clicks come from.
Which means the RainForestInn people will be back here in a little bit to see why there is so much traffic to their blog from here...
When I googled tripadvisor tips in attempting to find SweetiePie link, another blog taking TA to task came up and there is a recent response from Mr. Payea on that one.
It is here. More of the same.
I'm not interested in hitting this donkey in the head with a 2x4 any more to get its attention, but I don't believe that TA does much about fake reviews. A college student who worked for me during the school year worked at a big well-known hotel on her summer break in her hometown in Michigan where she was told by management to post false positive reviews when negative reviews were posted on TA for the hotel. When she came back and told me about it, I was appalled and she contacted TA to inform them of what was happening. Nothing ever came of it.

Back