Triple sheeting

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being from the "Great White North" where it sometimes snows on Mother's Day- we triple sheet with a light down comforter between the 2 top sheets and also have a matelasse coverlet to top it off. We use Comphy Sheets for the 2 bottom sheets (white or taupe) and a sateen stripe wrinkle free 3rd sheet (alternate color of white or Ivory). We do a "turn down" service when the guests leave for dinner, therefore, too many covers is not a problem- especially in our area.
Because I am a "Type A" clean freak- I love to stay in places that triple sheet !

I've always thought the triple-sheeting-only looked unfinished, like the final piece was forgotten. I would much rather see a coverlet in the summer and a comforter in the winter than just the sheets..
Odd, because it looks quite finished if the ends are all tucked in properly (very tight, square corners). Very minimalist. We've done the duvets and the quilts for years, so I'm testing new looks. Like I said, test driving, the look may not go with what I already have in place.

Being from the "Great White North" where it sometimes snows on Mother's Day- we triple sheet with a light down comforter between the 2 top sheets and also have a matelasse coverlet to top it off. We use Comphy Sheets for the 2 bottom sheets (white or taupe) and a sateen stripe wrinkle free 3rd sheet (alternate color of white or Ivory). We do a "turn down" service when the guests leave for dinner, therefore, too many covers is not a problem- especially in our area.
Because I am a "Type A" clean freak- I love to stay in places that triple sheet !.
I have on a cowl-neck heavy knit sweater and just wore my parka to go to the post office. Totally undestand. One place we stayed ahd the duvet between the sheets and that was nice. On the beds right now I have bottom sheet, top sheet, blanket, duvet and a quilt at the bottom of the bed.

I've always thought the triple-sheeting-only looked unfinished, like the final piece was forgotten. I would much rather see a coverlet in the summer and a comforter in the winter than just the sheets..
Odd, because it looks quite finished if the ends are all tucked in properly (very tight, square corners). Very minimalist. We've done the duvets and the quilts for years, so I'm testing new looks. Like I said, test driving, the look may not go with what I already have in place.
I think it looks very clean, to me it goes with a more modern/sophisticated/minimalist look. With our emphasis on country decor and history I think it would look cold. I like it when I'm traveling though, I first saw it on a cruise ship.

Hotel we stayed in last week (quick last minute trip) also triple sheeted but also had a partial cover at the bottom... I say that because it was larger than any bed scarf I have seen, about 1/2 the length of the bed.
I have tossed this around in my mind for over a year now. It is hot here in the summer, I sleep with just a single sheet in the summer - even with A/C. Many of my guests do the same in the summer - well that is my assumption given how the covers are all pulled back when I go in to fluff.
If I changed to this it would be only during the winter..
copperhead said:
I say that because it was larger than any bed scarf I have seen, about 1/2 the length of the bed.
I do think those bed scarves that are about 18 inches wide and purely decorative are the stupidest things in the whole 'new' look. At least put a throw or something you can wrap around your shoulders or feet if necessary.
I know the triple sheeting appeals to the clean freaks but I have never slept in a triple-sheeted bed where I haven't kicked the blanket loose by the next morning. Sorry for those who sleep there after me.

I don't think it would work here. Wonder why I don't even try it on my own bed? I should. I like the feel of it, but I also like the feel of a super fluffy oversize down comforter, in season or out, when the sheets feel cool.
I will ask this question. Do you all not have heating in your guest rooms, I mean I know it can be drafty in the winter months, but why do the beds need to much more in the winter? Inefficient heating systems? Just asking, not a shot at anyone, but it seems a drastic change over of seasonal LINENS for many on this forum. Just curious. I always add EXTRA to the foot of the bed or closet, but don't change out the whole set up.

I don't think it would work here. Wonder why I don't even try it on my own bed? I should. I like the feel of it, but I also like the feel of a super fluffy oversize down comforter, in season or out, when the sheets feel cool.
I will ask this question. Do you all not have heating in your guest rooms, I mean I know it can be drafty in the winter months, but why do the beds need to much more in the winter? Inefficient heating systems? Just asking, not a shot at anyone, but it seems a drastic change over of seasonal LINENS for many on this forum. Just curious. I always add EXTRA to the foot of the bed or closet, but don't change out the whole set up..
Joey Bloggs said:
I always add EXTRA to the foot of the bed or closet, but don't change out the whole set up.
That's all we do. We change the cotton quilts at the foot of the bed to down-ish comforters in the winter, but all-cotton sheets and matelasse or cotton bedspreads stay on all year round.

I will ask this question. Do you all not have heating in your guest rooms, I mean I know it can be drafty in the winter months, but why do the beds need to much more in the winter? Inefficient heating systems? Just asking, not a shot at anyone, but it seems a drastic change over of seasonal LINENS for many on this forum. Just curious. I always add EXTRA to the foot of the bed or closet, but don't change out the whole set up..
Joey Bloggs said:
I always add EXTRA to the foot of the bed or closet, but don't change out the whole set up.
That's all we do. We change the cotton quilts at the foot of the bed to down-ish comforters in the winter, but all-cotton sheets and matelasse or cotton bedspreads stay on all year round.
Before becoming an innkeeper I had never even heard of matelasse...LOVE it so much!!!!!

We are newly built so have plenty of heating - I should probably get a lighter cover for the beds for summer but the guests just flip the duvet it to the foot of the bed if it's warm and nobody has complalined or mentioned anything...maybe when the innmate that is coming to visit can let me know what she thinks it will help. Everyone just says they sleep great so I don't know if I should mess with anything.
RIki

Joey Bloggs said:
I will ask this question. Do you all not have heating in your guest rooms, I mean I know it can be drafty in the winter months, but why do the beds need to much more in the winter? Inefficient heating systems? Just asking, not a shot at anyone, but it seems a drastic change over of seasonal LINENS for many on this forum. Just curious. I always add EXTRA to the foot of the bed or closet, but don't change out the whole set up.
We inherited this style. We kept it because MOST guests never turn the heat up in the winter because they are nicely toasty, which saves me a bundle. We did stop putting the duvets on the beds in the summer and just left the quilts because the duvets would all be on the floor in the morning. And, it's boring to see the same thing all the time...I have my 'winter' look and my 'summer' look (the summer one being way easier to make the beds).
So, not because it's drafty or not warm, but to keep the guests from cranking the heat because they're 'chilly'. And, a lot of them sleep with the windows open, so that helps them keep warm, too.

We are newly built so have plenty of heating - I should probably get a lighter cover for the beds for summer but the guests just flip the duvet it to the foot of the bed if it's warm and nobody has complalined or mentioned anything...maybe when the innmate that is coming to visit can let me know what she thinks it will help. Everyone just says they sleep great so I don't know if I should mess with anything.
RIki.
egoodell said:
RIki
I just looked at your rooms today when I got your URL for that guest, did you hear a soft sigh ahhhhhh just a few hours south of you? that would be me. :) Don't mess with anything, I can see the detail and it looks awesome!

Joey Bloggs said:
We inherited this style. We kept it because MOST guests never turn the heat up in the winter because they are nicely toasty, which saves me a bundle. We did stop putting the duvets on the beds in the summer and just left the quilts because the duvets would all be on the floor in the morning. And, it's boring to see the same thing all the time...I have my 'winter' look and my 'summer' look (the summer one being way easier to make the beds).
So, not because it's drafty or not warm, but to keep the guests from cranking the heat because they're 'chilly'. And, a lot of them sleep with the windows open, so that helps them keep warm, too.
Alibi Ike said:
Joey Bloggs said:
says the innkeeper with individual heating controls...ah ha, me says. We have central hvac (except the one cottage) and don;t get me wrong, I like to be snuggled up warm in bed with a cooler room, I was just wondering.

Joey Bloggs said:
Alibi Ike said:
Joey Bloggs said:
says the innkeeper with individual heating controls...ah ha, me says. We have central hvac (except the one cottage) and don;t get me wrong, I like to be snuggled up warm in bed with a cooler room, I was just wondering.
Yup, individual controls. Which is why, altho I'd rather have 2-3 rooms, 1 room in the winter isn't THAT bad.

Wow........heavy thread..
And I am one that has not slept under covers for the last 4 years

Each of my rooms has its own climate control. This is a 1912 house. In summer it is about 10 degrees cooler than outside and in winter it is about 20 degrees cooler than outside. Winter - flannel sheets/summer - Egyptian cotton sheets. I have a fiber-fill type blankets on the beds year round except the feather-free room has an antique quilt. There is a down comforter on two of the beds and fiber-fill on the feather-free year-round.
We have central A/C downstairs and individual window units in the rooms for summer. Each room (including bathrooms) has electric baseboard heating for the cool months with guest controlled thermostats.

We have experimented with triple sheeting in our suites as an alternative to ironing the high-thread count sheets and duvet cover to enclose the warm duvet that should never see the light of day.
When we bought the Lodge, we inherited 80s-style floral bedspreads that look like something Monet would have designed were he prone to grand mal seizures, and we're slowly replacing them with less eye-bleeding coverings.
But with 12 rooms, it will be several years before we have managed to "put our stamp" on all the rooms in the lodge.
In the meantime, in the winter, there are two blankets on the beds, in addition to the spread; in the summer, there's only one blanket. We store the other blanket in the room, and even in summer, at 8700 feet, it's not too surprising to find it on the bed when we come to tidy the next day.
We are used to getting inquiries from Texans and southerners asking if we have air conditioning in our rooms. "No," we reply. But we have ceiling fans and extra blankets."

Sources such as the a single a person described right here will be really necessary to us! Let me submit a web link to this particular web page on my own website. More than likely our website visitors will discover which very helpful.
HVAC Salary

Back