Trivago

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think TriV Go pulls the reviews from all the other sites (like TA). What I don't like is the fact that they list MY rooms for the discounted rate of $149. They say that they're regularly $189. This is NOT true. I have 3 price points and rooms are higher on the weekends. That $189 room is the weekend price of my mid-priced rooms - the $149 is the weekday price. So, potential guest goes to OTA and books the room he THINKS is $189 for $149 and then I have to eat the 20%. The only person who realizes any difference in price is me.
angry_smile.gif
I tried to book a room. When I get right to the booking section I'm offered weekend rooms at $159-$189. Does that make sense? I think they're doing a bait and switch by showing the absolute low price ($129) at the outset and then the real prices when you go to reserve a particular night.
Not sure about Triv, but I noticed when I searched for a B&B for my university's spring football "game" (they play themselves) on Bed and Brea kfast. com, that they were listing rates at $99, but they were actually more like $150.
I think some places put the lowest price for any time of week/year, abd act as as if that is always a rate you can get.
undersea said:
Not sure about Triv, but I noticed when I searched for a B&B for my university's spring football "game" (they play themselves) on Bed and Brea kfast. com, that they were listing rates at $99, but they were actually more like $150.
I think some places put the lowest price for any time of week/year, abd act as as if that is always a rate you can get.
"From..." That's what the pricing says. Mine says "From $129" but you're not getting that in peak season. Or on a holiday or event night.
When you fill in the form to set up your listing they ask your prices. Then that's how they get displayed. I doubt anyone would ever call if I started at the highest price ($249) and then surprised them. (I know this is true because our website shows a range of prices and even if the guest is not paying the highest price ($249) they are still not happy they're not paying the lowest price ($129) even tho the range of prices shows the dates those prices are in effect.)
So they argue they want the room for $129 instead of $179 with the statement that our website says the price is... But they never finish the thought by realizing they're saving $70. They only see it as spending $50 more. They don't stay here. ;-)
True, from...
But the key word is "argue". Although I want to fill rooms, I still plan to let the phone answer. Argumentative types get deleted. I may lose some people, but I make decent $$, and the annoyance not worth it.
I get people who try to negotiate apartment rents, and I never rent to them. It is the 5% I can do without.
undersea said:
True, from... But the key word is "argue". Although I want to fill rooms, I still plan to let the phone answer. Argumentative types get deleted. I may lose some people, but I make decent $$, and the annoyance not worth it. I get people who try to negotiate apartment rents, and I never rent to them. It is the 5% I can do without.
They aren't going to argue with the machine, they'll wait til you call them back. They aren't going to leave a message that says they want the $100 room in the middle of your peak season. They're going to ask if you have a room. So, you just need to have your phone speech prepared. Easy peasy.

I think TriV Go pulls the reviews from all the other sites (like TA). What I don't like is the fact that they list MY rooms for the discounted rate of $149. They say that they're regularly $189. This is NOT true. I have 3 price points and rooms are higher on the weekends. That $189 room is the weekend price of my mid-priced rooms - the $149 is the weekday price. So, potential guest goes to OTA and books the room he THINKS is $189 for $149 and then I have to eat the 20%. The only person who realizes any difference in price is me.
angry_smile.gif
I tried to book a room. When I get right to the booking section I'm offered weekend rooms at $159-$189. Does that make sense? I think they're doing a bait and switch by showing the absolute low price ($129) at the outset and then the real prices when you go to reserve a particular night.
I'm not sure if that's exactly what is happening, but the one paying for it is me!
Aussie Innkeeper said:
I'm not sure if that's exactly what is happening, but the one paying for it is me!
Go change your prices wherever you have them listed. The guest only gets the room they paid for. If you have multiple room types and they select the $129 room that's the one they get. If you don't have a room for that price on your own website, raise the price on booking or wherever they're telling guests the rooms are $50 less. They can't list your room for less than you told them to. And make YOU pay the difference.
We don't have different prices but booking always shows them one room photo and guests always think that's the room they get. So I changed the photos on my website but not on booking. Now it's harder to figure out which room it is.
Morticia said:
We don't have different prices but booking always shows them one room photo and guests always think that's the room they get. So I changed the photos on my website but not on booking. Now it's harder to figure out which room it is.
I know you mentioned this not long ago in another thread. The light just came on!
lightbulb.gif
Duh!

angry_smile.gif
Aussie Innkeeper said:
Maybe make all your prices the same, the higher rate, on the OTA's no matter what kind of room. Then the person gets whatever room is open. And you don't lose out because the person booked a cheap room and you only have the pricey rooms left. Does that help? I'm annoyed for you! It's wrong what's happening.

angry_smile.gif
undersea said:
"From..." That's what the pricing says. Mine says "From $129" but you're not getting that in peak season. Or on a holiday or event night.
When you fill in the form to set up your listing they ask your prices. Then that's how they get displayed. I doubt anyone would ever call if I started at the highest price ($249) and then surprised them. (I know this is true because our website shows a range of prices and even if the guest is not paying the highest price ($249) they are still not happy they're not paying the lowest price ($129) even tho the range of prices shows the dates those prices are in effect.)
So they argue they want the room for $129 instead of $179 with the statement that our website says the price is... But they never finish the thought by realizing they're saving $70. They only see it as spending $50 more. They don't stay here. ;-)
True, from...
But the key word is "argue". Although I want to fill rooms, I still plan to let the phone answer. Argumentative types get deleted. I may lose some people, but I make decent $$, and the annoyance not worth it.
I get people who try to negotiate apartment rents, and I never rent to them. It is the 5% I can do without.
undersea said:
True, from... But the key word is "argue". Although I want to fill rooms, I still plan to let the phone answer. Argumentative types get deleted. I may lose some people, but I make decent $$, and the annoyance not worth it. I get people who try to negotiate apartment rents, and I never rent to them. It is the 5% I can do without.
They aren't going to argue with the machine, they'll wait til you call them back. They aren't going to leave a message that says they want the $100 room in the middle of your peak season. They're going to ask if you have a room. So, you just need to have your phone speech prepared. Easy peasy.
Probably true

angry_smile.gif
Always! we lose
sad_smile.gif
just can't seem to play with these people. I find in the long run we lose more of our B&B,. their rules not ours . If you play you pay a high price for their business. we only have 2 rooms so at this point I don't think we come a head. The jury is out though. But my strong feeling are we are not coming a head any. .

In the news: This article gives more insite on Trivago and what it is doing to capture the market.
And to correct my previous statement that it was a TA company, no it associated with Expedia, who use to own TA.

Back