Two Great Examples of Humor for Innkeepers to Use

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Jay's blog and it is a great one!!! If Jay feels like reading the replies here.
teeth_smile.gif

Two Great Examples of Humor for Innkeepers to Use[/h2]JB - I am putting this under reviews as this is bookmark worthy. But reading the responses from the rest of the forum you will see it is "6 of one and half dozen of another" or not, when it comes to HOW a guest would appreciate the humor provided by that innkeeper. Sarcastic or Creative? DH said he really liked it saying he would like to go to that B&B - making a sexist comment here - but maybe it is more likable by males than females?
(PS I am the one with the note about please do not use sofa for luggage but I do try to minimize notes, really truly I do!)

The sign in the bathroom is hilarious and could easily be replicated for a b&b bathroom!
I have to totally disagree with the second point though. Had I read that "bad" review (to me it is not negative at all, but reflects solely on the writer) I would have just skipped over it entirely because I love souffle, and I would have easily figured out whether to start eating or wait for everyone else to be served. But reading the management review, it comes off as so stuffy and forced funny that it turns me off to the innkeeper, who sounds incredibly uptight. Just because he/she thinks they have found a "clever" answer to the review, what he/she is still doing is nitpicking every point and obviously exaggerating (banging pans together because there is too much laughter? Right.).
IF there needed to be any response at all (and I maintain that this didn't need one), the innkeeper should merely have thanked the reviewer for their kind comments on the accommodations and then stated that they were sorry they didn't enjoy breakfast.

The sign in the bathroom is hilarious and could easily be replicated for a b&b bathroom!
I have to totally disagree with the second point though. Had I read that "bad" review (to me it is not negative at all, but reflects solely on the writer) I would have just skipped over it entirely because I love souffle, and I would have easily figured out whether to start eating or wait for everyone else to be served. But reading the management review, it comes off as so stuffy and forced funny that it turns me off to the innkeeper, who sounds incredibly uptight. Just because he/she thinks they have found a "clever" answer to the review, what he/she is still doing is nitpicking every point and obviously exaggerating (banging pans together because there is too much laughter? Right.).
IF there needed to be any response at all (and I maintain that this didn't need one), the innkeeper should merely have thanked the reviewer for their kind comments on the accommodations and then stated that they were sorry they didn't enjoy breakfast..
I'm half and half on that reply. I think he went on too long. Should have stopped after story about the biscotti or nearabouts. Points for giving readers an idea about what's for breakfast, tho.

I agree with Rupe...no response was necessary, much less that rambling bit of nonsense.

I thought about you as soon as I saw that 'Do not put luggage on this sofa' quote!

I thought about you as soon as I saw that 'Do not put luggage on this sofa' quote!.
Morticia said:
I thought about you as soon as I saw that 'Do not put luggage on this sofa' quote!
Yeah esp cuz he commented on it on this forum. It stays! I have virtually NO NOTES at this B&B, but that is one I will not remove. I suppose I could have said keep your bare buttocks off this sofa too.
cry_smile.gif
As there are now a few marks - from that. Lord help anyone who inspects anything too closely around here.

I thought about you as soon as I saw that 'Do not put luggage on this sofa' quote!.
Morticia said:
Yeah esp cuz he commented on it on this forum. It stays! I have virtually NO NOTES at this B&B, but that is one I will not remove. I suppose I could have said keep your bare buttocks off this sofa too.
cry_smile.gif
As there are now a few marks - from that. Lord help anyone who inspects anything too closely around here.
I made a bed one day and found similar marks on the quilt. Guests were staying over. I ran upstairs and grabbed 2 matching quilts off 2 other beds and replaced both quilts in guests' room. Next morning guest says, 'Oh my! You even change the quilts out everyday! You don't have to do that again today.'
And I so wanted to say, 'Then don't sit bare butt on the quilts!'
Ewww.

Our State B&B association requires that we post a sign in each guest room with the location of the fire extinguisher. Since I had to have a sign in each room anyway, I included some information about the weather alerts we get and how to get to the basement. I do start out with some non-humorous information, but continue with:
"The safest place to be during a tornado is in another state! Since this is not possible, the next safest place is in the basement which can be reached through the innkeeper's kitchen..."

Our State B&B association requires that we post a sign in each guest room with the location of the fire extinguisher. Since I had to have a sign in each room anyway, I included some information about the weather alerts we get and how to get to the basement. I do start out with some non-humorous information, but continue with:
"The safest place to be during a tornado is in another state! Since this is not possible, the next safest place is in the basement which can be reached through the innkeeper's kitchen...".
Innkeep said:
"The safest place to be during a tornado is in another state! Since this is not possible, the next safest place is in the basement which can be reached through the innkeeper's kitchen..."
That's cute.

I love the souffle response! Irreverant, funny, the innkeeper doesn't take himself too seriously, even if he's a little verbose. Makes me think the place would be fun and laidback. Too me, a dry "thank you and sorry" response would come across as stuffy and formulaic. Nice to see a little personality instead.

Back