Ugh, when you loose...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iris

Reaction score
...a nearly $ 4500 reservation to someone who has been a regular for a very long time. I can't even "punish" them with any fees. I want them to come next year and don't want to create a ruckus for a couple of dollars.
I want to cry. Luckily I have a waiting list and could fill 6 nights already.
thanks for letting me vent.

Know what you mean.
We let repeats off the hook because most of them have paid substantial amounts to us already. And will continue to do so.
We've had 4 widows come back regularly after their husbands died. Many times there was a cancellation in there because of his final illness.
It made no sense to charge them after they supported us for so many years.
And most of them offered to pay.

Know what you mean.
We let repeats off the hook because most of them have paid substantial amounts to us already. And will continue to do so.
We've had 4 widows come back regularly after their husbands died. Many times there was a cancellation in there because of his final illness.
And most of them offered to pay..
yep, it's that place between a rock and something else.

We had that for this Memorial Day weekend. And although I know it's a strong weekend for many it's never been our best. Our big family group stepping away from 8 cottages (they gave me plenty of notice) has just killed it. I'll probably still fill some of them but it won't be impressive.
What I can't figure out is why we're not busy that weekend...

OUCH! I am so sorry - glad you will be able to rebook some. May it end up with ALL booked.

So sorry! That really hurts. I hope you'll be able to recover most of those nights.
cry_smile.gif

I'm so sorry to hear about this! I hope you can fill those rooms soon!

Very sorry. hugs sent your way on this big loss, may you have a better return on the fill-ins!

Our first season managing, we had to make up for a $23,000 booking that did not return (yes, $23,000 for a single booking). It was anticipated, not a surprise, but none-the-less it was a real challenge to try to fill that gap. Oh yeah, that year we also had another $9,000 booking that did not return either. Fortunately, we had plenty of lead time in both cases, and were able to fill those gaps, but it would have been very tough to have such a high-value booking back out at this late stage in our reservation season -- work that waiting list / social media / newsletter, etc... Best of luck to you!

Know what you mean.
And most of them offered to pay..
I agree on very profitable regulars, but if nearly newbies are holding ten thousand reservations, I want a substantial noncancelable deposit. Managing risk is a huge part of successful business/ As many commodities traders know :)

Our first season managing, we had to make up for a $23,000 booking that did not return (yes, $23,000 for a single booking). It was anticipated, not a surprise, but none-the-less it was a real challenge to try to fill that gap. Oh yeah, that year we also had another $9,000 booking that did not return either. Fortunately, we had plenty of lead time in both cases, and were able to fill those gaps, but it would have been very tough to have such a high-value booking back out at this late stage in our reservation season -- work that waiting list / social media / newsletter, etc... Best of luck to you!.
yep, been workin' it alright. All the chambers as well as the CVB, Pu re Mich igan, etc. have been notified.
I have until July 3 to fill the openings, but ugh

Very sorry. hugs sent your way on this big loss, may you have a better return on the fill-ins!.
heart.gif
JB, thank you.
I'll be fine and every time we had this happen, it worked out. So I am confident

We had that for this Memorial Day weekend. And although I know it's a strong weekend for many it's never been our best. Our big family group stepping away from 8 cottages (they gave me plenty of notice) has just killed it. I'll probably still fill some of them but it won't be impressive.
What I can't figure out is why we're not busy that weekend....
innovermyhead said:
What I can't figure out is why we're not busy that weekend...
Ouch, commiserating with you. Here is to a good ending

Back